Fire Destroyed White's Dive Shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GlazierB:
Dunno who I'll go to in the meantime... Haven't thought that far ahead yet

Hmmm... well, for me it's either Great Ocean Adventures (near school), or Ogden Point (relatively near my house).

Anybody have positive or negative experiences with Ogden Point?? I've never really dealt with them, other than the odd question. I think I'll give them a test in the meantime either way.

- ChillyWaters

I like Ogden Pt, I know Erin for over 16 years when he used to work for Ocean Centre which became OceanSport which became Great Ocean Adventures. I've never been inside Great Ocean Adventures so I can't say anything good or bad about them. Ogden Pt being has been in business for a long time, the service is always great however I do find the price of some of the gear there very expensive. Saying that Erin will have no problem matching other LDS price. Also the air fill at Ogden are the best usually in the range of 3400psi for an aluminum 80s

Cheers

Al

ChillyWaters:
Hmmm... well, for me it's either Great Ocean Adventures (near school), or Ogden Point (relatively near my house).

Anybody have positive or negative experiences with Ogden Point?? I've never really dealt with them, other than the odd question. I think I'll give them a test in the meantime either way.

- ChillyWaters
I have had good experience dealing with Ogden Point. I have made several purchases and been out on their boat and was very satisfied with the friendly helpful service they provided.

Hyper-limits:
Also the air fill at Ogden are the best usually in the range of 3400psi for an aluminum 80s

I bought an al80 from GOA. They wouldn't give me the advertised "15% off all regular price merchandise" student discount, because apparently "everything" doesn't include tanks.

Then the owner decided that she'd give me 10% off the last one in the store (a show model). When she checked the pressure it was 2800 even. I semi-jokingly asked for it to be topped off -- but she (not jokingly) said that a proper fill was between 2800 and 3200, and thus was not going to top it off.

Hmm... I just paid nearly $300 for a tank, nobody else is in the store, and they couldn't even do a 30 second task to make me happy??? Not the start of a good customer relationship here!

Anyways, I left not even thinking of checking the vis date. I kinda assumed that when you buy a tank, a vis shouldn't be due. Well, apparently that's a bad assumption. I get home, then phone back: "Hey, I just bought a tank, and the vis is apparently due." But, I was told that since they gave me a 10% discount, that I'd have to pay for the vis. Hmm... definitely not the start of a good customer relationship!!! Well, after complaining harshly, I was finally told to bring it in for a free vis.

Then, when I finally take it in, the other owner was there. She wasn't so up on the free vis thing, and didn't want to give it to me. Me girlfriend was with me at the time, and when we left, she just said something like, "wow, they sure don't treat customers well, do they?"

Well, all I can say is that I'm VERY glad I didn't buy anything else from them. To say the least, I'm glad I bought the rest of me gear elsewhere.

Here's hoping Ogden Point is better than GOA. I did a boat dive with them a few months ago, and all was good.

- ChillyWaters

I go to Ogden Point. I usually buy my gear at Value Village and I really just rent tanks from the dive shop, but they still give me the time of day. They're more than happy to spend a few minutes rummaging around in the back for a weird-shaped o-ring that they're going to give me for free anyways.

What a bummer about Frank Whites. That is a great diveshop. They have a ton of stock, especially drysuits.....I hope that their insurance is good!

I have had great luck with Ogden Point when I visit Victoria.

ChillyWaters:
For some reason I don't think you're kidding.

- ChillyWaters
Anyone who knows me knows I'm not kidding.
BCD (in neat colours)= $25
Conshelf 14 Reg (with octo and gauges)= $80 (yes that was a little pricey for me)
Poseiden Cyclon 300 reg (for my bailout)= $30 (plus, I admit, $150 for service)
Fins (the one and only pair I've ever used)= $7
Hood=$2.99
Weightbelt (28 lbs)=$9
Plus most of my camera stuff comes from there and where else can you get MC Hammer in audio cassette for less than a buck!

swankenstein:
Anyone who knows me knows I'm not kidding.
BCD (in neat colours)= $25
Conshelf 14 Reg (with octo and gauges)= $80 (yes that was a little pricey for me)
Poseiden Cyclon 300 reg (for my bailout)= $30 (plus, I admit, $150 for service)
Fins (the one and only pair I've ever used)= $7
Hood=$2.99
Weightbelt (28 lbs)=$9
Plus most of my camera stuff comes from there and where else can you get MC Hammer in audio cassette for less than a buck!

Hey you forgot Viking Drysuit Borrowed from my buddy Hyper-limits.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom