Fire Destroyed White's Dive Shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hyper-limits

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I just saw that Frank White ScubaShop in Victoria got damage by a big fire on the 5 O'clock news. Hopefully they can get back on their feet as soon as possible.

OMG and just after they closed their Keating store. Hope they had good insurance.

Hyper-limits:
I just saw that Frank White ScubaShop in Victoria got damage by a big fire on the 5 O'clock news. Hopefully they can get back on their feet as soon as possible.

I live across the street from the shop. Story is the Boat Canvas place behind the shop went up in Flames at around 10am.

The staff basically bled the banks and left the shop. The building is going to have to be torn down, the roof the building is gone... Where the classroom was upstairs the roof caved down on it... The store display area it's self is visably okay but with the amount of heat and smoke damage done most of the gear/tanks are not going to survive.

Because of the glues used in the canvas place and the amount of compressed air/oxygen in the shop, the fire department basically flooded the entire building... The U-Hual building behind the building has over 4ft of water in it's building.

Sadly my tanks and my *new* Whites drysuit was in the shop at the time... Guess I got to wait to hear about insurance and what not.

B

... Not a goodday

I saw the end of the story on the news tonight. They showed footage of water coming out of the building's foundation and flooding down the street.

Did everyone get out okay? I don't recall hearing of any injuries on the news.

wedivebc:
OMG and just after they closed their Keating store. Hope they had good insurance.

That will be a big problem for them, if they still had the Keating X road store they could have move the business there until they find another location downtown.
Now many divers will have to use other DS, who knows how many will be back when they re-open.

SeanQ:
I saw the end of the story on the news tonight. They showed footage of water coming out of the building's foundation and flooding down the street.

Did everyone get out okay? I don't recall hearing of any injuries on the news.

Yeah everyone got out okay. A couple of staff members were allowed to enter and retrieve a computer and some paperwork... But that was several hours later.

I just came from there and the U-Haul building behind them is still getting it's basement pumped dry.

Hyper-limits:
Now many divers will have to use other DS, who knows how many will be back when they re-open.

I for one will be a returning customer once they do re-open

How sad! Hopefully they will be returning!

ChillyWaters:
Does this mean we have to go to Great Ocean Adventures in the meantime? Say it ain't so!

- ChillyWaters

Dunno who I'll go to in the meantime... Haven't thought that far ahead yet

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom