• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Fire on dive boat Conception in CA

Discussion in 'Accidents and Incidents' started by divezonescuba, Sep 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shoredivr

shoredivr Solo Diver

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Ugh.

2. Bob DBF

Bob DBF Solo Diver

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    I must have been hallucinating, went through what I thought I saw and I'm wrong. Had some bad dreams lately though.

Bob

3. tehach

tehach Angel Fish

In this later sunrise photo of the starboard hull, the burn through appears to be most severe at the approximate location of the stairs to the passenger bunk deck.

qrcl62-jpg.538196.jpg

4. george_austin

george_austin Manta Ray

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    He or she will not make another report reconstructing her watch that morning? No deposition? Nothing?

I think the CG will demand it

5. SapphireMind

SapphireMind Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 0 - 24
    Boats this age didn't need to have interconnected fire alarms. In hindsight it might be a fault to be fixed.

There is always going to be a criminal investigation when there are so many deaths. As someone else said, you can't turn back time to collect evidence if the assumption is that there was no fault. But if you investigate like a crime and it turns out not to be, no harm done.

I would like to point out that fire from the cushions was implicated in my uncles death in the plane accident. For those who didn't read about it, he was in a large plane that landed on a smaller plane. The accident was caused by a ATC who lost track of the smaller plane, made more likely by a lack of using certain safety equipment, a lack of lights on the plane on the ground, additionally it was found that the pilot had phenobarbital in his system, which is sedative which could have dulled his response time if he visually saw the other plane. People unbuckled after the first impact, but there was another impact. The cushions in the crew quarters did not meet the same fire standards as the cushions in the passenger cabin. There was a person who froze and refused to move at the exit door. There was an altercation at the exit.

Even with all that, only 23 out of 89 people on the larger plane (where my uncle was) died. Most died of smoke inhalation. The accident investigators said they were shocked by the number of people who died who were out of their seats and died waiting to get out.

For those wondering about how they could tell fire vs smoke vs drowning, if they had some bodies, it wouldn't be that hard - the lungs are somewhat protected. If the lungs weren't burned on the inside, it's unlikely they were awake when the bodies burned. If the lungs filled with water while the people were alive, they would have reaction to the water.

6. Scared Silly

Scared Silly Regular of the Pub

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    One can see that part of the port side is also similarly burned through in the picture you posted but also see the same in the port side pictures while it was on fire.

As such, no one here posting can say anything definitively where the most severe location was located. Except to perhaps to note that the wheel house, galley, and salon are gone. Which is pretty severe.

7. PDX Diver

PDX Diver Angel Fish

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Interesting observation, and causes me to think. If it started from above the fire would first burn down the staircase, and the other side of the bunk area would be less involved, yet it doesn't seem this way.

8. Tuttlet

Tuttlet Angel Fish

# of Dives: 0 - 24
    The front of half of the boat had three floors of combustibles, which would have collapsed into the hull as the floors gave way. Wherever it started, by the time it burned out, there may just have been more to burn in that section of the boat.

The back of the boat had dive gear, tanks, the engine, and I suppose a tank of diesel. Might just have been a different heat of combustion in this zone.

The crew have implied that the far forward and rear half of the boat weren't as fully involved at the beginning. Simply because they could stand in those sections.

9. tehach

tehach Angel Fish

Here is the port side after firefighting pretty much ceased.

Conception port.jpg

10. JohnnyC

JohnnyC PADI Pro

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    To touch on the watchman thing..... I think the articles are poorly written, and it creates confusion, allowing the reader to assume that the designated watchman was the same who "woke up" upon hearing the noise, implying it was the watchman who was asleep. If the watchman, after checking the galley, went up to the bridge, the sleeping crewman who heard the noise and discovered the fire would be a whole deck height closer to the galley. It's entirely possible that the watchman on the bridge would be unable to hear what the crewman a full deck level below heard.

The point is, there's no evidence of a sleeping watchman, and it's entirely possible that the watchman in the bridge would be less likely to hear something in the galley than the crew sleeping right above. I don't think assuming that there was no watchman, or that he was asleep, is the correct assumption in this case.

eleniel, drrich2, Steelyeyes and 8 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.