Fire on dive boat Conception in CA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard something about the boat capsized when it went under. It was a question about ship stability with 3rd hand info being given out. So I don't know if that is true or not. But it was mentioned in a news briefing.

4 bodies seen on the bottom but not recovered yet. (looks like I am a slow typer)

I heard something about the boat capsized when it went under. It was a question about ship stability with 3rd hand info being given out. So I don't know if that is true or not. But it was mentioned in a news briefing.

4 bodies seen on the bottom but not recovered yet. (looks like I am a slow typer)
Stability is really called intact stability, and assumes that the vessel is intact to start with. By the time it burned to the waterline, it was no longer intact, and may no longer have been stable.

I have been on the Conception and Vision four times in the last three years (which both have a similar layout), and our same group is booked on the Truth for next weekend.

On my first trip I was assigned one of the top middle bunks in the rear which has access to the escape panel which is shown in the fifth picture posted by K-girl (Fire on dive boat Conception in CA)

As we slept on board upon arrival, someone (I am assuming the crew) had removed the panel by the first morning and I could see coats hanging on hooks swaying from side to side. So rather than climb down I exited my bunk by literally pushing myself up and out of the rear of my bunk and rolling out of the hatch and onto the floor. It wasn't really graceful as there wasn't a way to step up and out.

The bunk room steps would be below the TV on the right hand side that is shown in the same picture. To exit via the steps you would then need to make your way through the galley area to exit via the rear of the boat.

If the fire was already fully consuming the galley area, which seems likely based on what has been already been reported, it would be difficult to exit via the stairs through the galley and the alternate would be for people to climb up to either of the upper rear middle bunks (both bunks accessed the same panel) as even the panel exits into the rear of the galley area.

The escape panel was covered in the safety briefing on the first morning and the crew on all of trips were friendly, helpful and professional.

A very horrible situation for everyone onboard and their families, and my heart goes out to them. I frankly wonder what exactly I would have done in the various scenarios playing in my head considering I was happier getting lower bunks in subsequent trips.

the santa barbara police official online video stated when the ship sank it settled on the ocean floor upside down.

Prayers for all the diver's families and those involved. Let's hope we can find out what actually happened versus what the media wants us to believe.

I have been on the Conception and Vision four times in the last three years (which both have a similar layout), and our same group is booked on the Truth for next weekend.

On my first trip I was assigned one of the top middle bunks in the rear which has access to the escape panel which is shown in the fifth picture posted by K-girl (Fire on dive boat Conception in CA)

As we slept on board upon arrival, someone (I am assuming the crew) had removed the panel by the first morning and I could see coats hanging on hooks swaying from side to side. So rather than climb down I exited my bunk by literally pushing myself up and out of the rear of my bunk and rolling out of the hatch and onto the floor. It wasn't really graceful as there wasn't a way to step up and out.

The bunk room steps would be below the TV on the right hand side that is shown in the same picture. To exit via the steps you would then need to make your way through the galley area to exit via the rear of the boat.

If the fire was already fully consuming the galley area, which seems likely based on what has been already been reported, it would be difficult to exit via the stairs through the galley and the alternate would be for people to climb up to either of the upper rear middle bunks (both bunks accessed the same panel) as even the panel exits into the rear of the galley area.

The escape panel was covered in the safety briefing on the first morning and the crew on all of trips were friendly, helpful and professional.

A very horrible situation for everyone onboard and their families, and my heart goes out to them. I frankly wonder what exactly I would have done in the various scenarios playing in my head considering I was happier getting lower bunks in subsequent trips.

Hi Larry,

Do you recall an escape hatch forward in the shower compartment? I seem to remember a hatch allowing egress that led from the shower compartment to the foredeck. Do you recall this?

markm

Hi Larry,

Do you recall an escape hatch forward in the shower compartment? I seem to remember a hatch allowing egress that led from the shower compartment to the foredeck. Do you recall this?

I don't recall one from the Conception or the Vision (the two with similar layouts). Could be different for the Truth which has a different layout.

At the same time, it also goes to how much attention do people really pay to the safety briefings for exits, life jackets and where the fire extinguishers are. Having flown enough, I always look around for the nearest exit on the airplane in both directions.

I was very aware of the exit panel because I happened to be assigned to a bunk where it was located. But I wonder if I would have really remembered, in all of the confusion of a fire, if that had not been the case. But I imagine I will now be more aware in the future having seen this trajedy.

So in order to exit bunk room in an emergency, potentially 40+ people would have to either line up to go up the staircase one at a time, and then walk/run the full length of the galley to go out on deck, or climb the two upper bunks (that would be occupied to begin with) and then merge in order to exit through a small square hole. A have to say, this is just an awful design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom