Fire on safari boat Suzana in Egypt (Red Sea Aggressor)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Red Sea Aggressor III, starting March 2020, no staff listed, last log Oct 5
upload_2019-12-2_9-3-22.png

I'm regularly in meetings with people tasked with design where I'm having to ask 'how do you see this complying with code?' and getting only blank stares in return.

Last year I had to deal with an event manager at large professional theatre who had no idea what a 'pinch point' was. Cue blank star. They also did not know the minimum width of a corridor in an exhibition to ensure safe and proper evacuation for delegates and exhibitors. Considering they were meant to be an event industry pro their safety knowledge, or lack of it was alarming. They were that inept I would not put them in charge of making a cup of coffee, let alone supervise an event.

I was on the Belize Aggressor III in April and there was no unattended charging allowed below deck. We were allowed to charge only cell phones in the cabin while we were in it. They said if the steward (who went in twice per day) found anything plugged in while we were not in there, it would be unplugged, and if it happened again, we would have a conversation.

Everything else charged at anytime at the charging station on the dive deck, including overnight. I went and unplugged my dive light, computer and/or camera in the middle of the night several times. There was always power available, and there was no intention to cut power overnight... yet.

This was the first liveaboard that I had seen a dedicated charging table or any rules about charging. In other liveaboards that I went on, we all charged everything in our cabins, including below deck.

For that matter, this was the first time I saw a roving night watchperson on a liveaboard. I am a night owl and saw him each day from when he woke up around dinner time until I went to bed often between 1 and 3 AM. My roommate was an early riser and had coffee with him every morning around 4:00 to 5 AM. Between us and our LDS group of 18, we saw him making his rounds through the night all week.

So it looks like between April and November on the BAIII, the charging station is being de-powered overnight, and there may be "significant consequences" for unattended charging?

I'll just confirm that that was the policy and practice on the Belize Agressor III even back in November 2018 - nothing plugged in unattended in the cabins, and an outside charging station at the camera table. Looking at photos of the BAIII, the camera table/charging area appeared to be made entirely of metal, although there was flammable stuff on it - the rubber/plastic no-slip mat, some towels, shirts, etc cushioning gear. There were also some small things (AA batteries, GoBe dive lights, cell phones) that were permitted to be charged in the salon (on a shelf to the left of the door to the deck) but those were also unplugged in the evening once people retired. And yes, Alex was introduced to us as the "night crew" and he only appeared after dinner.

I had no idea about the RSA1 sinking until after I just booked on the RSA2 for a March trip. I noticed on the Aggressor site that there was no RSA1, and a "new" RSA3 coming in 2020 but just assumed that they were switching/upgrading the boat - much as the numbers of the Caribbean boats increase. And I happened to book cabin "8" (the one that's actually on the main deck next to crew quarters and in front of the galley, not below). I was thinking more about better views and less hallway congestion than anything safety-related - although I may regret having to go outside any time I want to go to my cabin!

Long-time member/lurker at SB, first-time poster.

First and foremost, sincere condolences to family and friends of the deceased in this very tragic accident with RSA 1. Best wishes and blessings to the survivors.

Second, I returned from Egypt recently. My itinerary included the RSA II from Nov. 2-9, followed by the RSA 1, from Nov. 9-16. After boarding the RSA 11, we convened for the initial briefing. The cruise director made reference to the RSA 1 accident. This was how I first learned about this incident--I was shocked and horrified..

In the subsequent days I made inquiries of RSA 11 staff about the tragedy, trying to understand what happened. The clear message we received was that the single fatality had attempted to return to her room to retrieve a laptop computer--and this delay had a terrible consequence. We were advised that the RSA 1 owner was very supportive of the survivors--arranging accommodation in Marsa Alam, as well as transport to Cairo and accommodation there as well, while embassies and consulates worked on travel documents so these people could return home sooner, rather than later.

It was through this board that I have read accounts from the survivors themselves. The issues of safety protocol breaches on the part of RSA 1 are especially noteworthy--and, frankly, shocking. Much credit to them for finding the words to describe such a frightening event, and sharing it with us.

Various scuba board members have posted here with excellent advice on how to best to look out for one's personal safety on future dive boats. Thank you for that input. I intend to heed much of your advice and share it with others.

On November 9, I boarded the "Mistral"--a replacement vessel for the doomed RSA 1. This boat was used for 2, maybe 3 weeks, before a more suitable vessel was located.

Note that the RSA 2 staff were continuing to give mis-leading information (according to the survivors and roommate of the victim), even now. This is really inexcusable, and a black mark on Aggressor Fleet that they still seem to have poor control over their franchises. The information they gave, even at this point, is blame the victim and CYA. Terrible.

Note that the RSA 2 staff were continuing to give mis-leading information (according to the survivors and roommate of the victim), even now. This is really inexcusable, and a black mark on Aggressor Fleet that they still seem to have poor control over their franchises. The information they gave, even at this point, is blame the victim and CYA. Terrible.

It is possible that no one bothered to update them, rather than that they were parroting some corporate lie.

It is possible that no one bothered to update them, rather than that they were parroting some corporate lie.
It is.
But neither negligence (to update) nor ignorance (intended or inadvertent) of the continued telling of falsehoods under the corporate flag / name (well, more in the brand‘s name as the ships are not part of the Aggressor business entity), would be in not really be better or more excusable - or? It wouldn’t not make it a lie (if it is that is) and it wouldn’t make it not told by Aggressors or those in that way representing it. Or?

The owner would have to know by now unless everyone is keeping it swept under the rug. The eyewitness statements have certainly been out there so it is hard to believe that key people (i.e., in the Aggressor office and the boat owner) do not know.

Very long time lurker on the board and haven’t posted in a while, but I just found this thread and about the fire. I am currently in Hurghada set to board the RSA II In just under two hours for a seven night stay; needless to say it’s put a fresh perspective into my mind on safety on Aggressor LOB ships.

I’ll be curious what, if anything, is said by the crew about the fire. Thanks to everyone on here for shining a spotlight on what happened and helping to keep fellow divers informed!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom