Firehouse/3 Tables dive report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ch0ppersrule

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What a great day to be diving!! First dive was Firehouse and all the animals were out in force. We got to see 3 octopus (or octopi for those that it matters to), lots of turtles swimming and sleeping in the overhangs, about 6 peacock razorfish, a white leafy scorpionfish, several eels, a newly born/hatched trumpetfish (looked brand new anyways), yellow frogfish, juvenile rockmovers and even a moustache conger hiding.

Second dive was at 3 Tables. Again, 3 octopus (1 really big one), orangemouth lizardfish, bearded fireworm, a turkeyfish (amazing!!!), 2 white spotted eagle rays (1 very large and 1 small) and 2 spanish dancers. One of the dancers was the size of my hand and the second one had no boogie in it. We tried to get it to move around but it just curled up and laid there.

Can't wait to see what tomorrow brings.

Sounds awesome. We're hitting the trench tomorrow - my first time there, so I'm pretty excited.

How was the weather? It was pretty rainy early this morning, and then later this afternoon it just got really humid. Hopefully it will be sunny tomorrow - I don't really care for diving while it's raining. I don't have a chance to warm up during the SI.

It was rainy while we were getting our gear together then it was clear for the dive. It started to lightly rain as we were getting ready to head back in the water. It was nice and toasty for our SI. I like the trench. I have seen a manta ray and a hawaiian monk seal there. We were going to go out tomorrow, but the hubby is working mids tonight and doesn't feel like going out.

Well, we never "found" the trench. I think we probably entered the water from the wrong spot - the surface swim was just too long. Add to that the surface current, so we weren't getting very far very fast.

We decided to drop down and we dove around this really nice shallow (super shallow) reef area - it was like a little aquatic nursery - tons of juvenile fishies and good coral growth. It actually turned out to be a really nice couple of dives, but the surface swim - no thanks.

I think if we attempt this again, we need to go even further left away from the harbor.

Gosh, it's so unfair that I have to work on the WE, wish I could have joined you guys....Glad you had a good time :wink:

ch0ppersrule:
....a turkeyfish (amazing!!!) ....
Can't wait to see what tomorrow brings.

The most turkeyfish I've ever seen is along the narrow ledge of knee-deep reef out over the seawall in the area the Hickam O-Club at night. Try not to do the ballistic missile comedy routine back onto the seawall when a white/conger eel (called "tohe") suddenly swims between your legs! Moorish idols are plentiful as are moon jellies. One caution about walking that reef at night: If you flash your light/torch out into the channel and see a pair of glowing beady eyes looking back, get the heck back on the seawall -- those eyes probably belong to one of the tigers which routinely patrol the channel entrance.

bluemagoo:
Try not to do the ballistic missile comedy routine back onto the seawall when a white/conger eel (called "tohe") suddenly swims between your legs!

I remember on my first night dive ever (at Firehouse) I saw a conger eel - didn't know what it was at the time, though. It was huge and it came darting up out of this crack in the rocks, then ribboned about as it went after whatever it was hunting.

My eyes were already darting around a bit after seeing several black tip reef sharks out patrolling the reef - then I turned my light, saw the eel and yelled (Holy S***! :11: ) into my reg.

Yeah, that was a good dive.

chepar:
I remember on my first night dive ever (at Firehouse) I saw a conger eel - didn't know what it was at the time, though. It was huge and it came darting up out of this crack in the rocks, then ribboned about as it went after whatever it was hunting.

My eyes were already darting around a bit after seeing several black tip reef sharks out patrolling the reef - then I turned my light, saw the eel and yelled (Holy S***! :11: ) into my reg.

Yeah, that was a good dive.

Once while looking for shells, I went head and shoulders into a hole in the side of a reef when from the darkness further back, a flippin' balloonfish suddenly popped a few inches from my mask and stuck those big eyes right into my big eyes. Almost swallowed my reg and got scalped by the rock yanking my head out -- blood really is green down there.

chepar:
Well, we never "found" the trench. I think we probably entered the water from the wrong spot - the surface swim was just too long. Add to that the surface current, so we weren't getting very far very fast.

We decided to drop down and we dove around this really nice shallow (super shallow) reef area - it was like a little aquatic nursery - tons of juvenile fishies and good coral growth. It actually turned out to be a really nice couple of dives, but the surface swim - no thanks.

I think if we attempt this again, we need to go even further left away from the harbor.

To get to the Trench you have to go past the boat harbor to the little community center area. There is a shower there also. You actually have to walk out on the reef for about 50 yds. (maybe a little further). It is pretty shallow all the way out. It is a great dive. There is a turtle cleaning station out there. Next time you all go, let me know and I can probably meet you all there. There is parking at the community center, but it fills up quick on the weekends.

ch0ppersrule:
To get to the Trench you have to go past the boat harbor to the little community center area. There is a shower there also. You actually have to walk out on the reef for about 50 yds. (maybe a little further). It is pretty shallow all the way out. It is a great dive. There is a turtle cleaning station out there. Next time you all go, let me know and I can probably meet you all there.

Is this the 2 story brown building over at Alii Beach Park? If so, then yeah, I guess we were too far to the right. We entered between the harbor and the brown building. We saw some people entering about 100 feet past the building and it seemed like they were wading out pretty far.

I'm not able to dive this coming weekend, but probably the Sunday after (7/31) I'll be going out. I'll pm you early next week when I confirm my work schedule.

Back
Top Bottom