Firehouse/3 Tables dive report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chepar:
Well, we never "found" the trench. I think we probably entered the water from the wrong spot - the surface swim was just too long. Add to that the surface current, so we weren't getting very far very fast.

We decided to drop down and we dove around this really nice shallow (super shallow) reef area - it was like a little aquatic nursery - tons of juvenile fishies and good coral growth. It actually turned out to be a really nice couple of dives, but the surface swim - no thanks.

I think if we attempt this again, we need to go even further left away from the harbor.

If you see the skateboard ramp you're at the trench. The ramp is on the right side next to the facilities building. The beach is pretty much straight out from there, maybe just a tad to the left. Anyway its all walk and virtually no swim out. Must have been in the wrong spot. You'll find the surface swim to be extremely short next time, maybe 20 or 30 yards to the drop off once you wade out on the reef.

chepar:
Is this the 2 story brown building over at Alii Beach Park? If so, then yeah, I guess we were too far to the right. We entered between the harbor and the brown building. We saw some people entering about 100 feet past the building and it seemed like they were wading out pretty far.

I'm not able to dive this coming weekend, but probably the Sunday after (7/31) I'll be going out. I'll pm you early next week when I confirm my work schedule.

Sounds like the building. One side has a shower and the other side has a skateboard ramp. Friends are getting married this weekend so good thing you are busy. I got bit by a spider and the left side of my face is swollen also. I can dive pretty much anyday at anytime.

I dove with Chepar, trying to find the trench. I really would like it if we could go with someone who knows how to find it.

We did have a couple of nice dives on that shallow reef; saw things we don't see on every dive (the juvenile pennant butterfly fish were soooooo cute). I have to say, though, that my favorite was this HUGE eel. I was looking in a crevice in the reef and the reef seemed to be moving. I looked up and down and saw that it was an eel, DOUBLED up, and I said into my reg "HOLY *****!". I got Cheryls attention but by the time she arrived the eel had pulled it's head in. When Cheryl looked into the crevice, she didn't see it, even though it filled the thing. It just looked too much like the reef.

Also, because it was so shallow, the dives were nice and long. But, I really want to see the trench. I heard a dolphin whistling the entire first dive (Cheryl didn't hear it because she was wearing a hood). I kept looking out into the sandy area, hoping that it would come in to visit, but it didn't.

Anyway, I'll keep 7/31 open if you guys go. Cheryl will get in touch with me by email.

Back
Top Bottom