First aid kit for New England

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sherbear

Registered
Reaction score
I am in the process of putting together a first aid kit to have on hand when we dive. I would love suggestions as I can only think of the obvious, bandaids, etc.

Thanks! :D

Sherbear:
I am in the process of putting together a first aid kit to have on hand when we dive. I would love suggestions as I can only think of the obvious, bandaids, etc.

Thanks! :D

Just rememeber you asked for it......

Here's the kit I keep in my truck for camping, hunting/fishing trips, and yes its in teh back of the truck when I go diving.

60 Bandages Assorted
2 Triangular Bandages 40"x40"
1 Elastic Bandage 3"x5yds.
2 Pressure Bandages
10 Gauze Pads 2"x2"
10 Gauze Pads 4"x4"
3 Roll Gauze 2"x4yds.
3 Roll Gauze 4"x4yds.
4 Combine Pads 5"x9"
25 BZK Towelettes
8 Iodine Swab Sticks
1 Bacitracin 1 oz.
6 PAWS Towelettes 3 Cold Packs, disposable 5"x6"
1 Eyewash 4 oz.
3 Eye Pads, medium
1 Tape 1"x10 yds., uncovered
1 Scissors, paramedic
1 Stethoscope & BP Cuff
1 Penlight, disposable
2 CPR Microsheilds
1 Bulb Syringe
3 Bio-Waste Bags, 1 gallon
1 Rescue Blanket 56"x84" (space)
10 Gloves, vinyl

Cheers!

Storm:
Just rememeber you asked for it......

Here's the kit I keep in my truck for camping, hunting/fishing trips, and yes its in teh back of the truck when I go diving.

60 Bandages Assorted
2 Pressure Bandages
10 Gauze Pads 2"x2"
10 Gauze Pads 4"x4"
3 Roll Gauze 2"x4yds.
3 Roll Gauze 4"x4yds.
4 Combine Pads 5"x9"
25 BZK Towelettes
8 Iodine Swab Sticks
1 Bacitracin 1 oz.
1 Eyewash 4 oz.
3 Eye Pads, medium
1 Scissors, paramedic
1 Stethoscope & BP Cuff
1 Penlight, disposable
2 CPR Microsheilds
1 Bulb Syringe
10 Gloves, vinyl

Cheers!

Great list, especially the gloves! Very important and I never would have thought of that. Thanks

O2...with NRBs as well as a demand valve mask...

Storm's kit is a pretty comprehensive way to go. I would also say that most of the time I dip into mine for really minor problems. I would add a gallon or so of water for cleaning out minor scrapes and cuts from scrambling over rocks. Maybe a small bottle of antibacterial soap for cleaning out the small stuff. A sunshower type bag makes it easy to use. A few bottles of water or sportsdrink could prevent a few problems. A couple of granola bars or clif bars could also be handy. I also carry a big tarp and warm jacket for rewarming.

I have gloves stashed EVERWHERE in my kit. Every pocket or every ziploc bag has a set or two. If you should forget to put them on you wont get far into your kit without seeing them.

I also throw in a handful of index cards and a pencil. In the event of a serious accident, you may need to write out a history or record vital signs.

Sure it's not all going to fit in a small bag. Most of the stuff I need for a serious problem lives in a large fanny pack in my backseat. The rest is just kinda stuffed where I have extra space in the car.

A class can go a long way, but most of it is pretty common sense. Just remember not to put yourself or anyone else in harms way to help. Rule number one is always "if it's wet, sticky, and not yours...don't touch it!"

Storm:
60 Bandages Assorted
2 Pressure Bandages
10 Gauze Pads 2"x2"
10 Gauze Pads 4"x4"
3 Roll Gauze 2"x4yds.
3 Roll Gauze 4"x4yds.
4 Combine Pads 5"x9"
25 BZK Towelettes
8 Iodine Swab Sticks
1 Bacitracin 1 oz.
1 Eyewash 4 oz.
3 Eye Pads, medium
1 Scissors, paramedic
1 Stethoscope & BP Cuff
1 Penlight, disposable
2 CPR Microsheilds
1 Bulb Syringe
10 Gloves, vinyl

There are some non-medical items that are nice to have in the kit:

Finger nail clippers
Finger nail file
Tweezers
Aspirin
Ibuprofen
Bug Spray
Bug Bite/Poison Ivy Ointment
Magic Marker/Sharpee
Sunscreen
Chapstick/Lip balm with SPF rating

Edit: Hit 'submit' too soon. Bandaids, finger nail clippers and bug bite ointment have been the most popular items.

In addition to what's already been posted, I keep Bonine motion-sickness tablets and several chemical heat pads.

dont forget most of that stuff is useless without the propper training. The medical training that is given with the rescue divers course is rather minimal. If you are doing lots of diving especially in remote locations, it may be nice to have your Red Cross wilderness first responder, or first responder cert.

Just curious ... what about this stuff is unique to New England (per the title of the post)? It seems to me that this is all good stuff to have regardless of whether you're in MA, IN, SD, CA, FL, TX .....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom