First BC!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For freshwater and a 3mm suit that $300 package would probably work quite well. 25 pounds is probably twice the lift you actually need. Obviously it is better to have too much than not enough, but the smaller the wing the less area there is for the air bubble to shift around when you have it partially inflated at depth. You don't need much lift until you get into deep or cold diving where you are wearing 7mm suits or drysuits, which need a lot more weight to compensate for their lift. With the steel backplate you probably wouldn't need any extra lead, and even with the aluminium plate you would not need much. I'd suggest giving DGX a call though, just to make sure their plate would be a good fit for you. Some shorter or taller people really prefer a more tailored backplate. If it fits you, though, it is a great deal, and DGX is great to deal with.
I agree that DGX is a great outfit.

I talked to the guys at Deep 6 and he said to measure from where the plate would sit at my lumbar to right where I can reach on my back behind my shoulder blades. 15.5" is perfect actually.

So in freshwater with the rental jacket style BC I used 6 lbs of lead while wearing a 3mm full suit. With a standard tank and trying to use the least amount of lead possible what would you advise for wing lift and stainless steel vs aluminum backplates?

How do you trim out in the jacket? People with large flotaion bags on their chests often benefit from trim weights, and if you stared with 6lbs, SS plate won't leave you much room for that. At least not in fresh water 3mm suit. Either way, these are handy, throw in a couple: DGX Gears Trim Weight Pocket (each)

How about an AquaLung Zuma BCD?

Ya I could use that $200 towards a computer! This hobby is pretty expensive so I'm trying to make my money stretch while not compromising much on quality and what I really want.

I didn't use any trim weights on the jacket BC. Just the integrated weight system and had no issues. I was pretty well trimmed in the water and didn't run into any buoyancy problems.

So in freshwater with the rental jacket style BC I used 6 lbs of lead while wearing a 3mm full suit. With a standard tank and trying to use the least amount of lead possible what would you advise for wing lift and stainless steel vs aluminum backplates?

There is no right answer for backplate materials. On the face of it a stainless is the best for you right now as it's approx 6lb - which is what you are used to.

However:

I'm presuming you previously dived with a Jacket BCD? These are slightly more positivily buoyant so you might find you need a little less weight

As you are a newer diver, again you might find that over the course of a few dives you get to drop a little bit of weight

In both these scenerio's an Ali plate might be the better bet, with the addition of a couple of trim pockets on the cylinder to allow you to adjust weight

However. You might find that you wish to dive in salt water, or wear a thicker wetsuit, in which case you'll need a bit extra weight. While trim pockets can manage that adjustment, I' would be wary about adding too much weight to them because they can make it hard work to swap your gear over between tanks (the weight in the pockets cause the cam bands to drag on the cylinder. So here a SS plate would be a better option.

So nothing is really perfect. For the record I've ended up with a number of plates of differing materials, to get the ideal set up for a particular configuration.

With all that in mind. I would take the Ali plate, and a pair of trim pockets for now, because form what you've written this seems to best fit your needs now.

Ya I could use that $200 towards a computer! This hobby is pretty expensive so I'm trying to make my money stretch while not compromising much on quality and what I really want.

I didn't use any trim weights on the jacket BC. Just the integrated weight system and had no issues. I was pretty well trimmed in the water and didn't run into any buoyancy problems.

Well... what @Diving Dubai said: with your weight requirements it's a bit hard to choose between SS and Al plates. The good news is the system's modular and you can always buy the extra plate later. If you plan on mostly diving freshwater 3mm suit in the near future, you might want to go Al with trim pockets, and start saving up for SS.

We bought the computers first, and the BCs much later. But then I would, being a computer geek.

The SS plate in the DGX package is only $10 more. I think reasonably the DGX package with either plate is going to work well for you. I like SS plates, but you definitely want to consider your weight distribution. With my body I need trim weight high on my body. Other people need trim weights lower, or even need ankle weights. So again, your body shape informs your plate choice. Six pounds of weight on your back works well, unless you need it lower. In that case the aluminium plate might be better so you can place your weight lower. Also, there is a lot of talk about beginning divers having too much weight, and for good reason. They are often overweighted by silly and sometimes dangerous amounts. But when you reach the point you are only a few pounds overweighted you are in the discretionary area - plenty of experienced divers carry a couple extra pounds.

I will also say I think $200 is a very reasonable budget for a first computer.

To the OP: actually, you might want to ask DGX sales people if you should get their "soft STA" with that wing, or a steel one, and I expect you'll want a pair of cam straps as well. That's another fifty -- this hobby is definitely not a money-saver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom