First BC!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AllieC

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm looking at acquiring some of my own gear as a new diver. I want to get something that will last me a long time and will be versatile, as I want to continue taking different scuba classes and further my knowledge.
I am 5'2" and 115 lbs and will mostly be diving Arizona lakes and the oceans of So California.
I only have my OW cert but would like to continue learning different skills and obtain more certs.

After some research I am leaning towards the backplate and wing style BCs as I like the simplicity and versatility they offer. I have been looking at the OMS iq lite kit through DGX and some others like it. I have a budget of around $500 for a BC.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Gear Advice for Novice Divers From Novice Diver

You have a sensible budget so I also recommend going to DSS. Tobin will match you with the backplate that will fit best and the right wing size for your needs. With a DSS package you know you have what you need and excellent quality. The OMS IQ Lite is a nice choice for travel because it omits the metal backplate in favor of a soft backing, but I really like having a steel plate. It adds weight right where you want it - I don't even need a weight belt with my BP/W rig. How much flying vs driving are you going to be doing to go diving?

From what I've read you can add a backplate to the oms iq. Looks like I'll be checking DSS out.

I drive to CA which takes me 5 hours and spend a few days out there. All of my lake days are done locally with about an hour drive. I won't be able to fly or do any warm water diving until I save up!

lol, I know how that goes! But I will say it is surprising how comfortable a slab of steel on one's back can be. I have dove mine with just a swimsuit and it felt good. My only issue then was I needed to tighten up the shoulder straps a bit to keep them away from my arms - in other words, 30 seconds and done. It is hard/impossible to ever tell another person what will feel good or what is going to fit them right, but the BP/W rigs have a fine track record for scubaboarders.

The BP/W concept is pretty modular. Diving cold? Switch in a bigger wing. Diving deep? Doubles wing. Flying and don't want your awesome but kinda heavy backplate? Switch in aluminium or composite plate, or even a soft backpack. There is also a lot of overlap in wing fitting between manufacturers, though certainly not every wing fits every plate. Then you ask a scubaboarder. The nice thing about the DSS plate is that it doesn't need an STA to keep single tanks rock-solidly in place; you do need to remember to secure the cam bands before you get in the water, though... don't ask...

So in freshwater with the rental jacket style BC I used 6 lbs of lead while wearing a 3mm full suit. With a standard tank and trying to use the least amount of lead possible what would you advise for wing lift and stainless steel vs aluminum backplates?

For freshwater and a 3mm suit that $300 package would probably work quite well. 25 pounds is probably twice the lift you actually need. Obviously it is better to have too much than not enough, but the smaller the wing the less area there is for the air bubble to shift around when you have it partially inflated at depth. You don't need much lift until you get into deep or cold diving where you are wearing 7mm suits or drysuits, which need a lot more weight to compensate for their lift. With the steel backplate you probably wouldn't need any extra lead, and even with the aluminium plate you would not need much. I'd suggest giving DGX a call though, just to make sure their plate would be a good fit for you. Some shorter or taller people really prefer a more tailored backplate. If it fits you, though, it is a great deal, and DGX is great to deal with.

Back
Top Bottom