First breath underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sask Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I took my first breaths under water tonight and all I can say is I'm hooked.
Thats the best thing I have done with clothes on......... well trunks anyway.
I did have some trouble whit equalizing, left ear seem ok, right one I had some problems with and just like I have read here, I went up a few feet and back down. It seemed to work.
But I do have a bit of an ear ache in my right ear now that I am done.
Will this get easier as I dive more often'
I am going to sign up for my ow course as soon as the dive shop opens in the morning:D

I'm rather curious about the conditions under which you took that first breath, being how you haven't yet signed up for a scuba diving course and the only instruction you have received seems to be what you read on this board...especially since you've got pain in your ears, which no, is not normal.

Edit

I checked your back posts and I see that you were scheduled to take a Discover Scuba course today.

Next time be more aware of what's happening with your ears and slow or stop your descent at the first signs of any discomfort. Sometimes it's necessary to go back up a bit, and then try again. There's more to it than that including certain procedures to clear your ears, but this should answer your question for now. This topic is covered in detail in your Scuba Diving course.

Greetings Ross and welcome to Scuba Board. I think you will find with formal OW training your questions will be answered and equalization should be easier with practice. I to had issues at first but was determined to conquer them. I had to visit a ENT and he really made it awesome for me.
I would be cautious diving before you are trained unless doing a Discover Scuba lead by a Instructor or DM, Dive Con, etc. I have heard of serious injuries, mostly ear issues but not always as a result of not being properly prepared.
Start your training ASAP and if possible finish up. There are a variety of ways to do that. Referrals are really common place which basically means you do academics and pool work in your local area then travel to a warm water site for the check out dives.
Your local dive shop can help with your options. Till then enjoy the thrill of it. Diving has changed my whole life, get ready for a awesome adventure!
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

I'm rather curious about the conditions under which you took that first breath, being how you haven't yet signed up for a scuba diving course and the only instruction you have received seems to be what you read on this board...especially since you've got pain in your ears, which no, is not normal.

Edit

I checked your back posts and I see that you were scheduled to take a Discover Scuba course today.

Next time be more aware of what's happening with your ears and slow or stop your descent at the first signs of any discomfort. Sometimes it's necessary to go back up a bit, and then try again. There's more to it than that including certain procedures to clear your ears, but this should answer your question for now. This topic is covered in detail in your Scuba Diving course.

You are correct, I did take my discover scuba class today, and the conditions were in a pool with an instuctor, I did try to slow my descent when I stated to get discomfort in my ear and slowly went up a few feet to try to clear or pressurize my ears.
The left one would clear right away, but the right one would take me two or three attemps.

You are correct, I did take my discover scuba class today, and the conditions were in a pool with an instuctor, I did try to slow my descent when I stated to get discomfort in my ear and slowly went up a few feet to try to clear or pressurize my ears.
The left one would clear right away, but the right one would take me two or three attemps.

You got the right idea but if your ear is hurting after the dive then you need to work at it more. As in, if you are unable to clear one or both ears despite repeated attempts as will be described during your OW class, then do not continue to descend.

Problems at the surface or when shallow don't get better at depth. The only exception being if you're in an unhappy marriage and you are diving with your wife who gets into trouble on a deep wreck dive or something along those lines.

Sorry I have no idea where that last bit came from.

You should see if there is some sort of promo rate that allows you to go into their OW class cheaper. I just took an OW course, and to be honest I felt like how could I not learn any less and feel like I am qualified to dive.

Just to reiterate, problems only get worse and don't go away, so it may have been a problem with just not knowing how to properly equalize, so try all the tricks, closing nose and blowing, wiggling jaw, etc. It may have been your sinus was a little swollen for whatever reason.

But if you continue to have problems don't try to force it.

Good Luck and have fun

I just took an OW course, and to be honest I felt like how could I not learn any less and feel like I am qualified to dive.

I don't know if it's because I'm tired and/or it's Sunday night meaning that tomorrow is Monday and the start of another work week, or I've just read one too many posts, but I have no idea what you're trying to say in the part of your post I quoted above.

Equalizing is a skill, and not enough time is spent on it in a lot of diving classes, I believe. You may enjoy THIS video on the diver's ear (warning, it's long) or THIS article on equalizing techniques. Most people can learn to clear their ears well enough to avoid any discomfort, but new divers are often overloaded with things to remember, and the ears get neglected until they hurt, which is really too late.

I don't know if it's because I'm tired and/or it's Sunday night meaning that tomorrow is Monday and the start of another work week, or I've just read one too many posts, but I have no idea what you're trying to say in the part of your post I quoted above.

He is saying that if he learned less than he did, then he would not feel that he should have been certified.... correct me if I am wrong though.

I took my first breaths under water tonight and all I can say is I'm hooked.

I remember that feeling well! Good luck with the equalization issue. As others have said, it should go away with practice, especially if you're able to clear one side without issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom