First breath underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here are my two cents. You don´t have to be in the water to practice equalizing. Do it several times throughout the day. If you hear that crackling noise, you are doing it.

Good going-now, go get certified & enjoy the rest of the UW----

Here are my two cents. You don´t have to be in the water to practice equalizing. Do it several times throughout the day. If you hear that crackling noise, you are doing it.

Not necessarily.

Someone nearby could be popping that bubble wrap stuff you find in shipping cartons.

I took my first breaths under water tonight and all I can say is I'm hooked.
Thats the best thing I have done with clothes on......... well trunks anyway.
I remember that feeling well ... nine years and 2500 dives later I still feel that way ... :D

I did have some trouble whit equalizing, left ear seem ok, right one I had some problems with and just like I have read here, I went up a few feet and back down. It seemed to work.
But I do have a bit of an ear ache in my right ear now that I am done.
Will this get easier as I dive more often'
I am going to sign up for my ow course as soon as the dive shop opens in the morning:D
It does get easier with practice (like most things) ... start out by clearing your ears before you begin to descend. Clear them often ... as soon as you start to feel pressure building up. Don't wait for discomfort, or it'll be more difficult and may cause damage. If you can't clear them on the first attempt, STOP the descent and try again. If you can't clear them on the second attempt, go up a couple feet and try again. Repeat this last step until they're cleared.

Some people I know have chronic problems with ear clearing. If that's the case, it's really ... REALLY ... important to go down slowly.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Well I went and paid for my ow course starting Feb 28/10, I wish I would have started this much earlier, going to Jamica on sunday and would love to dive there, I would like to thank you all for the great advice and encouragement.

Congratlations! Now go get wet again!

I took my first breath underwater in a pool in the Bahamas during a discover scuba course about 10 years ago. At first, I couldn't get myself to inhale underwater! There was a serious mental block to inhaling while underwater! Thank goodness I got over that!

I did a discovery scuba class last week, and got hooked also i signed up to get my open water this past monday, I dont know if this might help cause i didnt have any trouble equalizing, but my instructor said to try and move your head from side to side while equalizing. good luck.

Well I took the plunge today and picked up my gear. I bought the SeaQuest PRO i3
Aries maxdepth combo spg
Oceanic EOS FDX10 yoke dvt
Hollis321 octo w/36" yellow/black hose
I am now ready for my course this comming sunday

Watch the video TSandM posted - some great techniques. The thing to remember when equalizing is that you don't need to push your ear drums ALL the way out - adjust only until comfortable. In the video the doc describes the process of how things become easier - that your ear drum gets more flexible like any body part.

BTW, you kinda bought your gear a bit backwards. Ideally you should buy the personal gear first, like a mask that fits well or fins, then maybe a computer and exposure suit (the Caribbean is still a bit chilly in winter - a 3mil treats me well).

Watch the video TSandM posted - some great techniques. The thing to remember when equalizing is that you don't need to push your ear drums ALL the way out - adjust only until comfortable. In the video the doc describes the process of how things become easier - that your ear drum gets more flexible like any body part.

BTW, you kinda bought your gear a bit backwards. Ideally you should buy the personal gear first, like a mask that fits well or fins, then maybe a computer and exposure suit (the Caribbean is still a bit chilly in winter - a 3mil treats me well).

Yes I did watch the vidio and found it very helpful, went to the pool quite often and practiced the techniques, as for my gear I guess I should clarify, I already have my mask, snorkle, fins and wetsuit. All I need now is my boots, hood, and a tank.
Next pay cheque:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom