First Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BullDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Preface: I know there are a lot of discussions out there already on this topic. But I think that has left me even more unsure of what product to get.

I'm a new diver at about 10 dives but I live in Florida so I see this being a regular hobby. My boyfriend is also certified so I have a built-in buddy. I want to get a computer before getting nitrox certified so that I can get help setting it up during my class. So after extensive research I'm thinking the Geo 2.0 might be the one because of the liberal DSAT for repetitive shallow dives. I do want to get my AOW at some point but it seems like I can switch it over to Pelagic Z+ for deep dives. But I have heard that it seems to be terribly convoluted to operate and I would have to invest $100 for a stupid download cable.

I also have interest in the deepblu cosmiq since I am a millennial and bluetooth just seems practical. But I have read that even the progressive setting isn't as liberal as Oceanic DSAT. Also, it seems it can only be controlled by the app and I'm not always a fan of bringing my phone on the dive boat. I was originally going to with a Suunto Zoop until I read horror stories about being locked out on expensive trips. I know safety takes precedence when diving, but I assume Oceanic wouldn't sell products to the general public if it wasn't safe.

Can anyone give me guidance? Thanks in advance.

I also do not like the Cosmiq, for the same reason you said. I want my dive computer to be completely self-sufficient.

Lots of people do lots of dives with the Geo, without getting bent. I.e. yes, it does seem to be a safe computer, even though it is about as liberal as you can get in a mainstream recreational computer.

The price of the data cable is stupid, but you might be able to get one cheaper if you shop around. I heard there was a cheap Chinese knock-off for Suunto cables on AliExpress or something like that the other day. Maybe you can find the same thing for the Geo.

I have an Atom, which is pretty much just like the Geo except with wireless air integration. I have never found it particularly convoluted to use. Once it's setup, all I really have to remember how to do is put it in Dive mode and how to change the Nitrox setting.

It will go into Dive mode automatically when I get in, but I do it manually before I get in so that I can check/change my Nitrox mode.

Changing the Nitrox mode back and forth between Air or a specific percentage of Oxygen doesn't seem particularly convoluted to me. It takes about 20 seconds. Reading the manual, just to get the basic idea of what the different buttons do might help. I did that when I got my computer because I think reading the manual is a good idea, regardless. I haven't needed to refer back to it since I read it two years ago.

The Cosmiq only requires the app to download logs and to change gas settings easily, the nitrox percentage can be changed with the buttons but it's a PITA.

The bonus is no download cable and regular firmware updates, they are working on the algorithm already. It's also the most readable entry level computer by a LOOOONG way.

Not saying it's the best but all my students have bought them and been really happy. Several of them have sold newish Suunto and Aqualung computers after borrowing one. None of them ever bring their phones on the boat.

My wife uses one, it's her 3rd computer and the only one she has actually
liked. If I didn't have a Perdix and a Nitek Q as a backup I would definitely be using one.

Obviously YMMV but don't discount the Cosmiq lightly.

regular firmware updates

How long has the computer been out? How many firmware updates have they had?

I'm not trying to be snarky. I'm genuinely curious. And have the updates been to fix bugs, add new features, or both?

My Atom has never received any firmware updates. But, then, it has never needed anything fixed and the only enhancement I've ever wanted was an option to disable the feature where it resets from Nitrox to Air after a 24 hour surface interval.

BTW, based on another thread here on SB, it appears that you can only download dives from the Cosmiq into their software, for which you are required to create an online account. There is no way to get your dive data from the Cosmiq into any other dive logging software.

Personally, I have all my dive log data from all the different computers I have owned (4 different brands) all downloaded into one place. Where I have done a dive with 2 computers (which is always, since I got a second computer), the software downloads from both and automatically merges them, based on date/time, so only 1 dive is shown in my log, but I can toggle to see the data from whichever computer I want when I view that dive.

I don't see a better value than the VEO 2 or the GEO out there at all. It is a solid computer that has all the features the average recreational diver needs without being overwhelmed. It is made and sold by a US company that has been doing it for a very long time.

There are very inexpensive AWESOME online courses for these computers too if the manual aren't very helpful:
Dive Computer Training

Dive Computer Training

In fact, there is a general online training course for dive computers in general that you should take before the course specific to your computer. In addition, there is an "Intro to Nitrox" course that you should also take prior to your Nitrox course. I have taken most of these courses and used them in my teaching dive computers and I can't recommend them enough.

Last edited:
How long has the computer been out? How many firmware updates have they had?

I'm not trying to be snarky. I'm genuinely curious. And have the updates been to fix bugs, add new features, or both?

My Atom has never received any firmware updates. But, then, it has never needed anything fixed and the only enhancement I've ever wanted was an option to disable the feature where it resets from Nitrox to Air after a 24 hour surface interval.

BTW, based on another thread here on SB, it appears that you can only download dives from the Cosmiq into their software, for which you are required to create an online account. There is no way to get your dive data from the Cosmiq into any other dive logging software.

Personally, I have all my dive log data from all the different computers I have owned (4 different brands) all downloaded into one place. Where I have done a dive with 2 computers (which is always, since I got a second computer), the software downloads from both and automatically merges them, based on date/time, so only 1 dive is shown in my log, but I can toggle to see the data from whichever computer I want when I view that dive.
What logbook software do you use that does all of that?

I have a Geo 2.0 and a Vyper Novo, same as the Zoop but with AI and compass. I got a great deal on the Vyper and wanted try AI. I have worn both of them on the last 24 dives I have made. Sure the Geo is more liberal but I have not run into issues with NDL's with the Vyper. The Vyper is much larger, more like a puck but the actual size of the digits on the read out are pretty close to the same. I posted a side by side a while back.
If you are worried about short NDL's then get nitrox certified. On the 1st dive of my last trip I forgot to set the Geo to nitrox (32%). 32 minutes into the dive the Geo went into DECO and the Vyper had 23 minutes of NDL left. I met my Geo DECO obligation on that dive anyway just to be safe and not lock it out.
Try going to Leisure Pro and putting the GEO in your wish list, I got a very good price that way. It was more than enough to pay for the cable.
There is a learning curve, taking an online class helps. Once you figure it out though it is really easy.
I will probably end up selling my Vyper and just sticking with the Geo since it does everything I need it to do as a recreational diver.

On the logging front, it's unfortunate but for now it's only their app.

So far the FW updates have been mostly feature adds as far as I can see. They have several divers reporting back to them and based on that they make changes. For example on the last one, they made it so that the gauge mode displays GAU in the unused NDL field, since it's easier to see than the smaller icon on the top indicating mode and makes it safer by avoiding confusion as to mode.

I believe it will be possible to import into subsurface soon, also I believe they are adjusting their conservancy levels based on diver feedback.

Manual is here:
https://about.deepblu.com/cosmiq_manual.pdf

Page 5 gives the FW history.

I don't see a better value than the VEO 2 or the GEO out there at all. It is a solid computer that has all the features a beginner recreational diver needs

FTFY :D

What logbook software do you use that does all of that?

Subsurface. Free. Open source. Runs on Windows, Mac, and Linux. Optional free Cloud storage for your log file. Has a mobile companion app (also free) for Android and (I THINK) iPhone. Has a built-in dive planner that is really nice for planning deco dives (or NDL dives, if you want). Has a Google Groups group for email support with very responsive developers answering people's questions, adding support for new computers, fixing issues that people find (usually specific to a model of computer that hasn't been used with Subsurface a lot).

Subsurface | An open source divelog

Back
Top Bottom