First day of lobster season, first diver in critical condition

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@KathyV
It has been raining in Kalifornia ! recall the verse from the song "It never rains in SoCal" It does but ~~Now the sun -- our lovey sun is peeking through the storm clouds !

It is my understanding that to punish a child in Chicago you tell them if the are bad that they will be sent to a street corner and forced to stand under a street light in Chicago on a warm Saturday night ...If they survive then for the worst punishment ever "Be good or will ship you off to California !" Oh the Horror - just like @Dr bill !
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

@drrich2
"Quick tangent since Sam mentioned people diving Guadalupe - how common is it for people to dive there, aside from the GWS cage diving via live-aboard we hear so much about?"

Rich,
It was anther earlier time but the same place. The divers who populated the sport were different, Most had been a participants in and survived WW 11, Korea and considered themselves indestructible.

@AfterDark New spearfisherman
@Dr bill a little more history
@BeckyKagan Yep no spearfishing gbooks !

Geez, It was the first day & he was scuba diving.

Could you give me a source. From what I've read scuba was never mentioned, and with the depths in the area, 9', would not be necessary to hunt lobster.

Bob

"Quick tangent since Sam mentioned people diving Guadalupe - how common is it for people to dive there, aside from the GWS cage diving via live-aboard we hear so much about?"

I dove there quite a few times in the 1980s-90s on friends' private boats. I lived in San Diego then. It was a pretty common stop on the way to and from Cabo. We would trade off riding shotgun with bank sticks for divers spearfishing. Never needed to use it but the place has a reputation as a hangout for whities.

We always did better at Cortes Banks for lobster than Guadalupe, but that might have been more about unlucky timing.

@KathyV
It has been raining in Kalifornia ! recall the verse from the song "It never rains in SoCal" It does but ~~Now the sun -- our lovey sun is peeking through the storm clouds !

It is my understanding that to punish a child in Chicago you tell them if the are bad that they will be sent to a street corner and forced to stand under a street light in Chicago on a warm Saturday night ...If they survive then for the worst punishment ever "Be good or will ship you off to California !" Oh the Horror - just like @Dr bill !
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[/USER]

I've never heard that one, but a hot summer night in Chicago can be pretty bad - steamy, sweaty, and mosquitos. We didn't have A/C when I was a kid - and even after we got A/C my parents rarely turned it on because they were always "waiting for a really hot day!"

My definition of hell is standing on my back porch in our old family home on a hot, summer evening and ironing clothes. Back then we didn't have many stay-press, wrinkle-free clothes either - we even had to iron the sheets!

Yesterday was a gorgeous day, around 80 F and breezy, but it turned cooler today and they say that rain is coming soon. Oh well, I just hope that we have nice weather when we go to the Caymans on vacation; and maybe we will see a few sharks!

@KathyV

Weather ? recall Mark Twain's comment
"The coldest winter I ever experienced was July in San Francisco !"
~~~ Ya gotta experience it to believe him ! Interesting when visiting you will see all the natives in foul weather winter clothes and tourist in shorts and t shirts -- Freezing im the California July
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
@Akimbo
I thought this would bring back memories An "interesting " dive location for the crazy Californians -- Not a blue gill or flounder swimming around but assuredly a lot of tax collectors swimming close
SDM

Found it !
THE BOTTOM SCRATCHER SPEAR GUN

My all time favorite spear gun is a "Bottom Scratcher." It was designed/developed in 1939 by Wally Potts and perfected by the Bottom Scratcher spear fishing club of San Diego, California. It is the first rubber powered spear gun produced in the US and is the original California long gun,

Major content of subject deleted --- Historical content -- not applicable to shark attack

Back to the subject -- the shark attack on the young diver down San Diego way

Could you give me a source. From what I've read scuba was never mentioned, and with the depths in the area, 9', would not be necessary to hunt lobster.

Bob

I'm also curious, most of the articles just say that he was "diving" so he could have been snorkeling and free diving; but there were divers in the area because one of the rescuers stated in interviews that he was scuba diving nearby when he heard the boy yelling for help.

I have lobster dived those breaks for years before I moved to OR. I’ve seen several sharks. Those bugs (lobsters) make that distressed noise that inadvertently attracts predators.
I really hope that boy recovers fully. What injuries were sustained?

I have lobster dived those breaks for years before I moved to OR. I’ve seen several sharks. Those bugs (lobsters) make that distressed noise that inadvertently attracts predators.
I really hope that boy recovers fully. What injuries were sustained?

He is doing very well and has been released from the hospital but his injuries are extensive:

"...Keane Webre-Hayes suffered severe injuries to his back, torso, left arm, shoulder, and left the side of his face, according to Dr. Tim Fairbanks."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom