First destination for a new diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been given some great suggestions...so glad I tripped upon this site.

Having just come back from Grand Cayman and also having fallen in love with it...I may have to go back, although I'm not sure wether I will go to Grand Cayman or the Brac.

Then again Roatanman paints a tempting picture for Roatan...you mentioned an age reuirement. He's fifteen, does that create any issues?

Thank you for the great suggestions.
:notworthy
Jeff

On how serious of a diver the nephew is.

As other posters pointed out, topside diversions might be a requirement. At CoCoView there is NOTHING else to do besides dive dive dive. If he is serious, if you're serious, this might be tailor made for you. Call Roatan Charter and ask about their age requirements after you think about who your nephew is and what he wants. I don't know what their age minimum is, but I have seen very young people there who were engaged in serious diving. ANY age child can stay in one of the beach houses at Playa Miguel, also on the CCV property.

I have seen young people there who were so intensely interested in diving that they fit right in. On rarae occasion, a teen shows up who is a real p.i.t.a.

There is pretty much so nothing to do topside in Roatan at any resort (contrary to some brochures) and this applies top most Caribbean destinations (that have betther than c+ level diving) as well.

My nephew pretty well wanted to change his major to marine biology after his trip to Roatan's CoCo View, but we steered him back towards "rock star" with a minor in "techno thriller author".

A lot depends on how much time & money you have as well as how comfortable/confident a diver your nephew will be at first.

For ease and economy you can't beat the Keys. Capt. Slate in Key Largo does a Friday morning "creature feature" where he feeds barracuda and eels (sometimes some nurse sharks show up too) and you get to fondle the critters (I'm actually not a big fan of acclimating fish to humans but your nephew will have a blast bragging to his friends about his encounter!) Most dive sites are in the 30-40ft. range so he can't get into too much trouble. You can work your way down the Keys and even take in the human circus in Mallory Square at sunset and Margaritaville in Key West (Key West has the worst diving of the Keys but the most topside activities). If you go here, I'd also suggest a night dive. Tavernier Dive Center does a nice job with these and, again, hard to get into too much trouble. I agree with the others that weather and conditons can vary so be sure to bring seasick pills (just in case) if either of you are prone to turning "green".

For great diving, both Cayman Brac and Grand Turk have exceptional diving but might require a higher degree of skill than he'll have, at first. Neither one has much of anything to do topside. (Also, Grand Turk water temp is a little colder that time of year.)

Have you considered someplace like Cozumel? It's fairly cheap, the diving is good and there's stuff to do topside (tours to the ruins, etc. etc.) My first ocean dive was in Cozumel and once I got over the surprise of suddenly finding myself 80 ft. down with crystal clear viz I really enjoyed the drift diving.

Again, lots of choices but just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. Have fun!!

Well SEGLIR I was leaning towards the Brac as I have never been there and I thought that would make it a treat for both of us. You mentioned the conditions might be tough for his experience level(nill). I was unaware of those types of conditions in the Brac.
I'm thinking maybe Roatan (another place I've never been) or possibly Grand Cayman (been there, loved it, great conditions....can't think of a good reason not to go back).
Thanks again for the input.

Jeff

Roatan?

On the South side- it's a swimming pool. No current to speak of and lots of 30' reefs and then wall drop offs to 90' sandy bottoms.(the deep blue is below)

The "front yard" of Cocoview looks and feels like a swimming pool and easily passes for confined water conditions.

Have fun and chose wisely- first impressions are important! :wink:

I fully agree with you, first impressions are truly critical. I'm looking forward to taking him on future trips, so I want this one to be an incredible experience for him.
Sounds like Roatan may be it.

Thanks again,
:)
Jeff

Back
Top Bottom