First dive computer for a newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The depths that you are diving make a difference. If you are talking of 30 ft dives then conservatism does not matter.

I dive 30% and usually follow a Suunto Zoop each dive. Depths typically 75-95. Most divers are back on the boat before I am.

A two button computer should be your minimum criterion.
Agreed 100%. A single button computer is just difficult to use, and you can end up going in circles.

I use an Oceanic VT 4.1. It's got 3 buttons, and I find it's very easy to use. Menus are intuitive, and it's pretty easy to navigate. My daughter just got certified, and was looking for a computer for her. Based on my experiences with Oceanic, I decided that I wanted to limit the selection to Oceanic, since it would be easier for me to show her how to operate with a similar interface. I ended up getting her an Oceanic Veo 2.0.

It is very similar to my VT 4.1, but does delete some features. It's also a lot smaller, which was good as she's still pretty small.
Veo 2 is two button, so menu navigation is only forward, where the third button on mine adds a backup. Not a critical difference.
Veo 2 is non AI, which the OP indicated was not something he was looking for.
Veo 2 is quite a bit cheaper than my VT. I picked hers up for $237, on sale. Looks like it's gone back up to regular price now. Still reasonable, though.

I won't touch a single button computer.

Thanks for the info.

Was away diving at the weekend -4 dives in 2 days using a Cressi Leonardo (rental equipment). Having used
it quite a bit I did find the single button to be an issue although it might be something I would get used to. Seemed a bit counter intuitive trying to figure out the dive history but got there eventually with help from another diver. The algorithm didn't seem too much of an issue (probably won't until I get my sac a lot lower)

A single button computer is just difficult to use, and you can end up going in circles.

You may mean to say 'you' find a single button computer is just difficult to use. I use and know many others that use single button and don't have any issues.

My daughter just got certified, and was looking for a computer for her. Based on my experiences with Oceanic, I decided that I wanted to limit the selection to Oceanic, since it would be easier for me to show her how to operate with a similar interface. I ended up getting her an Oceanic Veo 2.0.

Nice to have kids diving :) My three recently go certified (to dive). I got them all single button computers as I wanted them to have an intuitive device that I did Not have to show them how to use.

I don't think the issue is single, double or more buttons its the intuitiveness of the design. I have Mares Pucks and find them good, sure at times there are a number of button presses but it really is only a mater of seconds for these settings. Our dive club uses Sunnto Zoops, with 3 buttons, these most new divers find confusing and have difficulty finding the Planned NDL prior to the dive and dive log after the dive. I have been over the Zoop manual and still do not find it easy.

I don't think the issue is single, double or more buttons its the intuitiveness of the design. I have Mares Pucks and find them good, sure at times there are a number of button presses but it really is only a mater of seconds for these settings. Our dive club uses Sunnto Zoops, with 3 buttons, these most new divers find confusing and have difficulty finding the Planned NDL prior to the dive and dive log after the dive. I have been over the Zoop manual and still do not find it easy.
We don't dive nitrox so the only thing I really do is set local time when we arrive at our holiday destination. Plus I might press the button once or twice during a night dive -- or I might just shine the light on the computer. Now if I had to change nitrox settings for every tank, 4 tanks a day, 10 days in a trip, I might find one button less convenient.
As for dive history, I've a laptop, a usb cradle, and not much to do after dinner.

We don't dive nitrox...
Most of my diving is Nitrox, but its from good supplier so stays on 32% :)

As for dive history, I've a laptop, a usb cradle, and not much to do after dinner.

We in Queensland Australia are covered by quite strict Workplace Safety :(. Prior to a dive we log air pressure and NDL for a given max depth at the site. On return to the boat we log air out, max depth, dive time. It becomes quite clear who can use their computer...

Most of my diving is Nitrox, but its from good supplier so stays on 32% :) We in Queensland Australia are covered by quite strict Workplace Safety :(. Prior to a dive we log air pressure and NDL for a given max depth at the site. On return to the boat we log air out, max depth, dive time. It becomes quite clear who can use their computer...
We in computer science believe that people should buy a computer that does what they need. If I needed to log all that a lot, I'd save up for an air-integrated shiny with a bluetooth uplink and a cellphone log app. And a cellphone, too, since mine's too old for this stuff and I need an excuse. :wink: So I could log all that by mashing the phone once before the dive and once again after.

---------- Post added September 29th, 2015 at 01:58 PM ----------

The algorithm didn't seem too much of an issue (probably won't until I get my sac a lot lower)
My impression is it's more about SIs. If you don't have a problem taking an hour between the dives, chances are you won't have a problem with the algorithm when/if your sac drops either.

Starting to put together my gear bit by bit and the next purchase is more than likely a computer. Have had a look at the new computer sticky and still no nearer deciding. Looking for some real world opinionsRequirements:Easy to operate with 5mm gloves (will do most diving in the UK)Nitrox (not qualified but planning to be in the future)Rec diving only - no plans at all for tech in the futureNo need for AI atmRelatively inexpensive - can afford £200-250 (maybe slightly more if I [-]speak nicely[/-] grovel to SWMBO)Reasonably liberal algorithm for multiple dives (although atm I am breathing through my air quicker than the NDL I expect it to improve over time/dives)Wrist mounted
I bought a Mares Smart a little more than two months ago after a lot of research. Did my OW + AOW with it and I love it. Very customisable too. It is worth checking it out.

Petrel if overkill.
This is a good computer for the price and does everything you require.
Oceanic Veo 180 Air/Nitrox Wrist Dive Computer
Bought one recently to replace the expired Aladin Pro(18yrs old).
The initial set up was not that easy because of one button. Yes, I have to go through the whole cycle couple of times in the beginning. But once everything was set, the operation is plain sailing.
This computeer is more liberal than Aladin Pro especially on multi-level dive.

My impression is it's more about SIs. If you don't have a problem taking an hour between the dives, chances are you won't have a problem with the algorithm when/if your sac drops either.
Nope. At least for the Giotto which I believe runs the same algorthmn. My Bonaire dives are typically 4 a day for 5 days. We will often do a shore dive headed one direction, say North. Finish the dive, switch the gear, maybe a quick snack and head back in to dive South. Sometimes as little as 30 to 40 min SI's. Have yet to go into deco in Bonaire.

In reality, no one really knows the absolute zingers that make some divers have relatively longer BT then others. But its much more complex then just SI time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom