First Dive Computer!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alexx007

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I am looking to purchase my first dive computer in the next couple of months. I want it specifically as I am planning to start my Dive Master training in the summer. I had the Suunto d4i in my mind, probably from all the fancy adverts, but then I visited a local dive shop and was told it was a terrible computer. I was told that if you do anymore than 1-2 dives per day, it puts you into deco and will lock itself for 24 hours. He said he has some divemasters using it right now and they end up just leaving it on the boat due to this. They had the Aeris Manta and Tusa IQ 900 Zen in the shop. I've been researching various dive computers, but it's just so hard to say! I find negative reviews everywhere. So I was wondering if anyone would recommend or not recommend any computers in particular? I'm looking for something that has all the information I would need as a Dive Master, and something that isn't going to crap out or screw up my diving!! Any input will be greatly appreciated! :)

Was he a suunto dealer? I'm guessing not.
Personally, I won't ever buy any Suunto product ever again. We used to deal with them, and because they are based overseas, the customer support sucked. I'm not sure if that's changed or not.

But, don't just take the advice of a non-Suunto dealer. You might find him biased. :)
What's your price range?
Are you looking for Air Integration
Are you going wrist mount or console?
What are you plans for the next five years? Any tech diving, trimix diving, deco diving?

Answer these questions and we can really steer you toward a great computer.
But please bear in mind that if you ask 10 people, you'll get 11 different opinions.

No, he was not a Suunto dealer, so yes, I'm guessing he's biased. But I didn't want to just dismiss his opinion either.

Most computers I've seen seem to be around the $500-600 mark, so that's what I've been looking at. I'd prefer a more conservative computer, compared to the large "puck" ones. Definitely would like a wrist mount. I wouldn't mind air integration, as long as it's still a decent price. As for the next five years, I would definitely like to try tech diving, but for the most part more recreational diving!
Thanks!

I'd prefer a more conservative computer, compared to the large "puck" ones.

And I prefer it when the computer's alarms sound more purple. Wait, what?

Suuntos have a (well deserved, from what I've seen) reputation for being very conservative. Depending on the dives, though, the "do more than 1-2 dives in a day and it will lock out" is BS. They will, however, harshly penalize entering deco and/or doing dives with less than its desired surface interval (so don't volunteer to pop back down and pull the hook, for example). They also will lock you out, which seems more of a bug than a feature to me.

I suggest taking a close look at a Shearwater Petrel, which is wrist mounted, easy to understand and configure, will cover tech needs and then some, and has extremely adjustable conservatism and will not lock you out. The Atomic Cobalt is an excellent computer, but it's a console mount and for some unknown reason Atomic seems to be fixated on taking forever to come out with a fancy AI wristmounted version.

If you could swing it, you can't do wrong by going with Shearwater. In my opinion, its the best of the best. It's the simplest computer on the planet to use. Shearwater's customer service is unmatched. You will never outgrow it. But, it's 900'ish

For what you described, I'd suggest an Oceanic Geo 2
It's a two gas nitrox computer. It's non-AI (which I'm against) It's a bit sporty, like a wristwatch, and you can change how conservative it is. You can buy them for about 400 bucks. It'll go in gauge mode and you can use it for a backup when you move fully into tech diving. Just my two cents for the 500-600 dollar price range.

Cheers guys. Will look into both. Thanks for the input!

You can get a reasonably priced recreational type computer that can be used in gauge mode with optional air integration. I would not go to a 10 gas tri-mix computer designed for technical decompression diving until you have a real need. At that time, you can use your old one in Gauge mode. I have an Atomic Aquatics Cobalt, a Hollis DG-03 wrist mount , and an Oceanic B.U.D. I find I like the wrist mount better than having the computer on the console. If Atomic would ever release a wrist model I would certainly get it. The B.U.D does it's job and is a great backup.

Dive Gear Express (Dive Gear Express | Equipment for Experienced Divers) has the Hollis DG-03 on sale for $249.

I was told that if you do anymore than 1-2 dives per day, it puts you into deco and will lock itself for 24 hours. He said he has some divemasters using it right now and they end up just leaving it on the boat due to this. :)
Bullsh.. I use Suunto for 3 dives regularly. 1st dive 130', 2nd 94', 3rd dive 72'. I've used Suunto on liveaboards with up to 5 dives per day. Only time I even got a fuzzy feeling was in Coz where a 45 minute dive lasts over an hour

That said, my next computer will probably be a Liquivision

Last edited:
The D4i is no different than the other Suunto computers as far as being conservative. It is certainly not a bad computer. Its very nice! Some ppl don't like the conservative nature of Suuntos but it had not been an issue for me. I have a Zoop and a Cobra.

You will not get locked out unless you blow off a mandatory obligation. I did 130, 90, and 65 several times with no issues at all.

I've recently talked to someone that said they've used the Suunto for 6 dives a day and have had no problems. So I'm just going to assume he is very biased not being a Suunto dealer!!

Are most computers Metric and Imperial/are you able to switch them? Or are they one or the other?

Back
Top Bottom