First dive in Tampa area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We're thinking about diving in the Gulf on Memorial Day weekend. Our boat is in Indian Rocks Beach, so we'd prefer to dive between roughly Egmont Key and Clearwater.

So where would you recommend for our first dives in that area? We're all fairly experienced divers, and will be diving off our own boat.

Also, what's the water temp and visibility like?

Thanks much!

I found a few bouy temps around 77F, but they seemed to be out at least 20nm. I'm hoping that there are some dive sites closer to shore that are a little warmer?

OK, one last question. Assuming that we do dive this weekend, are there any PADI instructors out there that can do a specialty certification for my buddy and I? We haven't figured out which one we want to do yet, but I assumed that it will be 3-4 dives. We're flexible.

BTW, we're trying to get our Master Diver certification this summer. Am I correct in assuming that we can get our specialty certifications from different instructors?

Thanks.

HappyFunBoater:
We're thinking about diving in the Gulf on Memorial Day weekend. Our boat is in Indian Rocks Beach, so we'd prefer to dive between roughly Egmont Key and Clearwater.

So where would you recommend for our first dives in that area? We're all fairly experienced divers, and will be diving off our own boat.

Also, what's the water temp and visibility like?

Thanks much!

Memorial Day weekend is going to be a mad house on the water so keep that in mind. Everybody and their brother is going to be either on the road or the water.

Pinellas Tanks, Orange Tug, Betty Rose are a couple of good sites.

Temps are in the low to mid 70's at depth. The water is always warmer at the surface.

Check with the NOAA weather web site before you go out to get the current marine conditions.....very important!!!

eandiver:
Pinellas Tanks, Orange Tug, Betty Rose are a couple of good sites.

Temps are in the low to mid 70's at depth. The water is always warmer at the surface.

Yikes. That's a little colder than I expected.

Do these sites have mooring balls, like most of the dive sites in The Keys? If not, am I expected to dive down with a line to attach to the structure? Or do I just throw out an anchor and try not to hit something? The latter sure seems a little destructive.

Thanks much.

eandiver:
Memorial Day weekend is going to be a mad house on the water so keep that in mind. Everybody and their brother is going to be either on the road or the water.

Yeah, I know what you mean. The intercoastal is full of drunks and the islands are packed. But it sure beats sitting on my butt in Orlando all weekend. :wink: I was hoping that I could get away from the crowds at the dive sites.

BTW, do local dive boats also go to these sites? I'm just trying to get a picture of whether we're be out there alone, or whether we'll be fighting a hundred boats over two or three mooring balls.

Thanks.

HappyFunBoater:
Yeah, I know what you mean. The intercoastal is full of drunks and the islands are packed. But it sure beats sitting on my butt in Orlando all weekend. :wink: I was hoping that I could get away from the crowds at the dive sites.

BTW, do local dive boats also go to these sites? I'm just trying to get a picture of whether we're be out there alone, or whether we'll be fighting a hundred boats over two or three mooring balls.

Thanks.

On Memorial Day weekend you're going to be fighting for anchorage............every where. Hit and miss you know.

We don't have many balls here:D Most of the sites are up to you to find. Veterans Reef and Sheridan/Blackthorn are two with markers but I don't know of too many more.

The local charter boats do visit the more popular site.

HappyFunBoater:

Thanks.

Your going to be competing with drunk fishermen, not divers... :14:

Two good sources of dive sites: 1) Hotspots map (BoatersWorld, West Marine, ~$15) 2) "Shipwrecks of the Sunshine State" by Mike Bennett (LDS, ~$35). As far as actually finding the sites, a good GPS, a good fishfinder, a marker jug, and an LVDB (least valuable dive buddy, aka "guinea pig").

Unfortunately, due to the damage done by the red tide last year, you'll have to go about 15 miles to find anything that isn't covered with brown algae. On the bright side, the farther out you go, the less competition you'll have for dive sites and the fisherman are generally more sober. And they're so friendly when they find out you're divers!

From your location (IRB) there's plenty of sites to choose from.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom