First Dive Knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pyde

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have been looking at dive knives for weeks and was hoping to get a little advice.

What is a good dive knife to get?
Titanium or Stainless ? ( Stainless seems to take extra care but easier to sharpen )
Attach to leg or BC ? I had a dive instructor buddy say, she preferred to attach her knife to her leg. I am leaning this way because I feel like there is so much attached to my BC already.
Blunt tip / sharp tip or tanto ? Leaning blunt as most places recommend this option for scuba divers and I wouldn't want to accidentally jab myself or my gear.
Size? Personally the knives I have liked are all around the medium to larger size.
Sheath or Folding knife? I've seen some cool folding knives but really leaning towards a Sheath knife as I can imagine opening a folding knife with my 5 mil gloves would not be fun.

I was really leaning towards
Big Squeeze Knives - Aqua Lung CA - Recreational and Professional Scuba Diving Gear

But it only comes in titanium with a sharp tip.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks
Pyde

Choosing the right tool starts with figuring out what you need to accomplish with it. For most divers, cutting monofilament fishing line represents the most insidious entanglement hazard, probably followed by abandoned fishing nets. The next most important consideration is do you have the ability to sharpen the cutting edge. The third is can you use it without accidentally dropping it when you need it.

Get a line cutter. And a small blunt tip knife you keep on your BC.

Unless you want to relive Sea Hunt days and want the BFK strapped to your leg. :D

Most new divers want a large knife, as they gain experience they tend to buy smaller knifes. The main reason for a large knife is if you plan working dives such as spearfishing. If you are going to use the knife like most divers to cut a little fishing line or ty raps.
I recommend a small titanium.

Whatever you get, make sure you can reach it and deploy it with one hand, either hand. Or mount two cutting tools in different locations.

My line cutter sits in the middle of my waist belt, a folding serrated Spyderco is tucked away in a pocket. I've never used either of anything but I would give up he Spyderco before I gave up the Trilobite.

Get a line cutter. And a small blunt tip knife you keep on your BC.

Unless you want to relive Sea Hunt days and want the BFK strapped to your leg. :D

What? You never had anyone try to kill you mid dive? Somoene tries to cut my regulator hose all the time, especially in Cozumel! :D

Most new divers want a large knife, as they gain experience they tend to buy smaller knifes.
Like @Akimbo said, it all depends on what you need to accomplish with your knife. My main knife has a 15cm/6" blade and is a multi-tool. I use it for cutting food topside, as a prybar, for spearing flounders and a bunch of other things. What i haven't used it for yet is cutting monofilament line, but that's because of the conditions I see when diving.

If I were pressed, I'd part with my secondary knife (5cm/2" blade, waist strap mounted) and/or my ceramic trilobite, but never with my primary, calf-mounted 15cm/6" blade primary knife. Because that's the tool that fits most of my knife needs.

Reactions: Ana
Just my 2 cents: I have a small (3" blade?) tanto tip titanium (how's that for alliteration?) knife that I keep attached to my inflator hose of my regulator. I have a few BCDs, but just one reg that I use for my open water dives. This way the knife is always with me, and being attached to my inflator it's accessible to either hand, and clearly visible to anyone else that might need to borrow it (why would anyone else need to borrow it? I have no idea... but figured it's a nice bonus.)

What? You never had anyone try to kill you mid dive? Somoene tries to cut my regulator hose all the time, especially in Cozumel! :D
For your sake, I hope they always cut only the exhaust hose :eyebrow::eyebrow::eyebrow:

Back
Top Bottom