First Dive on a Shipwreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JLScuba413

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello All,
In a few weeks, I will be making my first dive on a shipwreck (actually, first dive in the ocean period! I have only been lake diving). My dad and I will be going to the Sherman with Coastal Scuba at Myrtl Beach. I am beyond excited. Has anyone been to the Sherman? Any pointers for this novice ocean diver?

Jana

Jana...

Your being beyond excited makes me excited for you. I love shipwrecks and they are what I dive mostly. I am not familiar with this shipwreck. I did a brief search and saw that the Sherman was a blockade runner and lies in about 50 fsw. First and foremost make certain that you pay close attention to the captains dive brief that he or she will give before the dive. Other things I would encourage anyone to consider about diving a shipwreck include entries into and exits out of the water....especially your exits. With exits you may be dealing with ocean swells which may make exits a bit challenging. You will most likely be doing ladder exits. Some ladders are closed on the ends and others are opened. The opened ones are called "fin friendly" ladders and are the best type for exits. I don't know if you are going on a larger or smaller dive boat. With the larger boats you will most likely be doing a giant stride entry and be doing a ladder exit. With a smaller boat you may be doing a back or side roll entry and your exit may require that you remove your gear then hop up on a platform. A couple of things about exits and swells. Swells usually come in sets of 3. You want to grab the ladder in between sets. When you get to the ladder grab as high as you can then step onto it. If the ladder is fin friendly you simply slide your fins onto the rungs from the side. If it isn't fin friendly then you may be required to take your fins off first. If you get on the ladder and a swell comes before you get on the boat then bring your body up against the ladder and hang on tightly until you get between another set. If someone is climbing the laddder ahead of you then keep a safe distance in case that diver falls back into the water. You don't want him or her falling on top of you. Keep your regulator in your mouth until you are safely on the boat. There may be no swells at all, but you are diving in the ocean and this will help you if there is a swell at the surface. Another issue is visibility. You may or may not have had experience with marginal visibility during your lake dives. A dive on a wreck at this depth may have 20 feet of visibility or 50 feet...hopefully 50 feet when you dive it:) I think the wreck is about 200 ft long. It is not a large wreck but you can see how you could easily lose direction with 20 feet of visibility. The captain will tie into the wreck and make sure you follow the anchor line to the wreck. They will most likely have a hang line at 15 feet that will run from the bow to the stern of the dive boat. The hang line will be tied into the anchor line on the bow. When you get in the water, head for the hang line and use it to get to the anchor line. When you get to the wreck you will navigate using reference points. Swim a few yards and find a unique reference point then swim back to the anchor line. Swim back to the first reference point, go a few yards beyond that and locate another, etc...These features will
allow you to get back to the anchor line when you are ready to ascend. A compass will not be very reliable if there is alot of metal on the wreck.
If you have a larger swell on the surface then you will have surge on the wreck. A surge will pull and push you as the swells pass by on the surface. Surge can be substantial on any wreck but especially on a shallower wreck. Be careful swimming around big holes in the wreck if there are any because the surge can suck you inside the hole then push you up against the wreckage. It probably will not be that big of an issue, but being aware of it can keep you from getting beat up around the wreck.
Make sure you have some type of signaling device. A surface marker is a must and I would suggest you carry one with a spool line attached just in case you need to surface away from the anchor line. I also carry a whistle and mirror. Again...this is not likely to happen. The things I am writing about are simply devil's advocate considerations and will add to your safety by being knowledgeable and prepared.
A 3 mm wetsuit should be plenty for this time of year but I would encourage you to have a full suit as opposed to a shorty. There is the wreck itself and some marine life that can cause cuts and abrasions. I would also encourage a pair of gloves. They do not have to be expensive...just a basic glove will be fine.
Having a dive guide who has experience with the Sherman is always a plus...or simply diving with someone who is familiar with the wreck.
As with any dive, make sure you keep a close watch on your air pressure throughout the dive.
I promise you that your excitement is 100% warranted. It will be a wonderful and facinating adventure. Do not be surprised if your excitement after the dive exceeds that which you are feeling now. Have a great time!!!!

rawls,
Thank you so so so much for all of this useful information!!! I have read and re-read everything that you have told me here. This will be extremely helpful! I believe that Coastal Scuba has a group that is going, but I am not sure how many people will be in the group. My dad has been the one contacting them, as he is the one who found out about their dive opportunities. Growing up, I always wanted to be an archaeologist. Once I began diving, I could only imagine how amazing it would be to do underwater archaeology. Although I may never get to that point, being able to dive on the wrecks will be fabulous, I am sure. Again, thank you so much for all of your knowledge that you shared with me!

Jana,

You are very welcome. One thing about archaeology...archaeologists sometimes ask divers to volunteer for help on some of their underwater projects. It might be no more than grunt work but it will put you on site and provide you with insight as to how projects are set up and carried out. Do a little research into what projects the state is involved in, or independent groups. There is a group called SIDCO in Beaufort, NC...who are looking for volunteers for this Fall. They said you could even be a new diver and they would train you. So the opportunities are out there. I was fortunate enough to be allowed to dive on the Queen Anne's Revenge a couple of years ago. It was a fantastic experience. You never know when you might want to pursue archaeology as a profession. Sometimes..."I always wanted to be"...may become..." I am":)

Let us know how you and your dad's dive went when you get back....

A good boat will run a line to the wreck from a buoy for you.

Snorkel out to the buoy (that is one reason why it is good to have a snorkel for open ocean dives), then switch to your reg and follow the line down.

When you get to the wreck, settle onto your knees in the sand and face the wreck. Then look around and orient yourself.

The current should be coming at you. So set your compass (two dots) into the current, and then swim into the current, looking over the wreck.

When your SPG is 2/3rds what you started with, turn and follow the reverse azimuth (one dot) with the current and back to the line, looking over the wreck on your way back as well.

When you get back to the line, you should have 1/3 of your total SPG pressure left. Then ascend the line and do your 3 min (or 5 min for a deep wreck) safety stop.

For your second dive, you can veer either to the left or to the right, instead of swimming into the current.

For your third dive, you can veer the other way.

This is usually what I plan to do, whenever I swim on a demolished wreck.

If the wreck is still intact, then for the first dive, I will swim along one side of it, and for the second dive, I will swim along the other side. Then for the third dive, I will normally swim along the top of it (or through it!!!). [I recommend a wreck/cavern class before you go through it however.]

{If DWayneJ is stalking my posts, then he will probably rant and crybaby that he thinks this is a very dangerous post; and his other sockpuppets will chime in and agree, and call attention to their many follow-up questions which I have ignored.}

In this way of visualizing what you are going to do, it makes you ready to go execute immediately without hesitation on the actual wreck.

On some really big steel wrecks, you compass won't work, when you are close to the wreck. It is then good to set it before you approach closely to the wreck. That way you can at least tell which way is back to the boat (one dot) if you get separated from the wreck.

I hope you have a great time!

Jana...

Your being beyond excited makes me excited for you. I love shipwrecks and they are what I dive mostly. I am not familiar with this shipwreck. I did a brief search and saw that the Sherman was a blockade runner and lies in about 50 fsw.

First and foremost make certain that you pay close attention to the captains dive brief that he or she will give before the dive. Other things I would encourage anyone to consider about diving a shipwreck include entries into and exits out of the water....especially your exits. With exits you may be dealing with ocean swells which may make exits a bit challenging.

You will most likely be doing ladder exits. Some ladders are closed on the ends and others are opened. The opened ones are called "fin friendly" ladders and are the best type for exits. I don't know if you are going on a larger or smaller dive boat. With the larger boats you will most likely be doing a giant stride entry and be doing a ladder exit. With a smaller boat you may be doing a back or side roll entry and your exit may require that you remove your gear then hop up on a platform.

A couple of things about exits and swells. Swells usually come in sets of 3. You want to grab the ladder in between sets. When you get to the ladder grab as high as you can then step onto it. If the ladder is fin friendly you simply slide your fins onto the rungs from the side. If it isn't fin friendly then you may be required to take your fins off first. If you get on the ladder and a swell comes before you get on the boat then bring your body up against the ladder and hang on tightly until you get between another set.

If someone is climbing the laddder ahead of you then keep a safe distance in case that diver falls back into the water. You don't want him or her falling on top of you. Keep your regulator in your mouth until you are safely on the boat. There may be no swells at all, but you are diving in the ocean and this will help you if there is a swell at the surface. Another issue is visibility. You may or may not have had experience with marginal visibility during your lake dives.

A dive on a wreck at this depth may have 20 feet of visibility or 50 feet...hopefully 50 feet when you dive it:) I think the wreck is about 200 ft long. It is not a large wreck but you can see how you could easily lose direction with 20 feet of visibility. The captain will tie into the wreck and make sure you follow the anchor line to the wreck. They will most likely have a hang line at 15 feet that will run from the bow to the stern of the dive boat. The hang line will be tied into the anchor line on the bow. When you get in the water, head for the hang line and use it to get to the anchor line.

When you get to the wreck you will navigate using reference points. Swim a few yards and find a unique reference point then swim back to the anchor line. Swim back to the first reference point, go a few yards beyond that and locate another, etc...These features will
allow you to get back to the anchor line when you are ready to ascend. A compass will not be very reliable if there is alot of metal on the wreck.

If you have a larger swell on the surface then you will have surge on the wreck. A surge will pull and push you as the swells pass by on the surface. Surge can be substantial on any wreck but especially on a shallower wreck. Be careful swimming around big holes in the wreck if there are any because the surge can suck you inside the hole then push you up against the wreckage. It probably will not be that big of an issue, but being aware of it can keep you from getting beat up around the wreck.

Make sure you have some type of signaling device. A surface marker is a must and I would suggest you carry one with a spool line attached just in case you need to surface away from the anchor line. I also carry a whistle and mirror. Again...this is not likely to happen. The things I am writing about are simply devil's advocate considerations and will add to your safety by being knowledgeable and prepared.

A 3 mm wetsuit should be plenty for this time of year but I would encourage you to have a full suit as opposed to a shorty. There is the wreck itself and some marine life that can cause cuts and abrasions. I would also encourage a pair of gloves. They do not have to be expensive...just a basic glove will be fine.

Having a dive guide who has experience with the Sherman is always a plus...or simply diving with someone who is familiar with the wreck.
As with any dive, make sure you keep a close watch on your air pressure throughout the dive.

I promise you that your excitement is 100% warranted. It will be a wonderful and facinating adventure. Do not be surprised if your excitement after the dive exceeds that which you are feeling now. Have a great time!!!!

I gotta break this up into paragraphs, for you, so that I can read it.

Para-graph comes from 2 Greek words which means together-written.

It is a good idea to break your narrative up like that. Easier to read, then.

Thanks for the English tutorial nereas....

OK, so unfortunately I did not get to dive on the Sherman...or dive at all for that matter. Hanna had passed by on Saturday, and we arrived on Sunday. The dive shop called us on Sunday night/Monday morning to let us know that they had postponed the dive for Monday as the visability was too bad. They said that they would be trying again on Tuesday morning. We went out on the boat, but when one of the dive masters entered the water, the visability was only 7-8 inches and they would not let us dive. They were going to try to go back out the following weekend but unfortunately I had to leave on Thursday to be back at work on Friday. We are planning another trip to the area in June and are hoping to make two dives then. I will keep all of the information that was given to me on here and hopefully will be able to use it next year.

I'm sorry you didn't get to dive Jana - I am headed down to dive The Hebe, St. Cathan and BP-25/NYC Subways in October. I also have not been in the ocean or done a boat dive since getting certified so your question and the answers will also help me out. Hopefully you'll be able to get back to the area next summer - I've heard it's great diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom