First Dive Trip: Bonaire or Key West?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BettyRubble

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Now that I am cert'd I am planning a trip for December. Someone suggested Bonaire and I am also considering something in the Keys since I have been traveling to Key West for years and am at least familar with the area (never dove it of course).

However, I would really appreciate your input. Since my OW cert was in a quarry, I have no experience yet in ocean conditions. So I'd like to know if there is an advantage to Bonaire or the Keys making it more suited to newbies. (less current, better dive shops, or other safety issues we newbies usually face). Of course, if you have 3rd destination I should consider instead, please share.

Thank you in advance.

Hi Betty,

Just my own opinion. If you are new at diving, do Key West. We have been to both. Bonaire is our favorite of any Caribbean spot. However, it is our favorite because it is shore diving and we can do our own profile. As long as we want, as deep/shallow as we want. That is more an experienced profile and we have been diving since 1991, 400+dives each.

Now....both are beautiful and have unique features. You can do Bonaire and do boat dives which would be better for inexperience, but in my experience......the boat operators in Key West would care for you better than the ones in Bonaire.

We were in Bonaire in December (8th trip) and have another trip planned there for April 2010. We have not been to Key West in about 5 years, so our info there might be a little dated.

Again, if you are new, they are both beautiful places that you want to go. I just think the shore dive experience in Bonaire is better for the more experienced as I have gotten into trouble on my own and if you have been tested before, you stand a better chance of coming out on top. You didn't say how new a diver you are, but (again my opinion) until you have 20-25 dives, you are still uneasy and learning basics. Not that you aren't learning forever, but the basics.....

Donna (aka, one of the Lazybees)

I just think the shore dive experience in Bonaire is better for the more experienced as I have gotten into trouble on my own and if you have been tested before, you stand a better chance of coming out on top. You didn't say how new a diver you are, but (again my opinion) until you have 20-25 dives, you are still uneasy and learning basics. Not that you aren't learning forever, but the basics.....

Donna (aka, one of the Lazybees)
Outside a swimming pool, I have never seen a safer, easier place to dive than Bonaire. If you can't safely dive there without a divemaster's supervision, you haven't been properly trained.

However, I would really appreciate your input. Since my OW cert was in a quarry, I have no experience yet in ocean conditions. So I'd like to know if there is an advantage to Bonaire or the Keys making it more suited to newbies. (less current, better dive shops, or other safety issues we newbies usually face). Of course, if you have 3rd destination I should consider instead, please share.

Thank you in advance.

Have not done Keys yet, but many trips to Bonaire and Curacao. Water conditions and ease of diving at these two islands make them IMHO an awesome way to kick off your new hobby. As far as a first dive trip, check out Mark and Suzy at The Dive Bus - HOME. Was in your same position in August 2006, fresh from OW at Dutch Springs Quarry and looking for a first trip. Contacted Suzy and she helped guide us with our plans. When we finally met them it was like we were old friends from way back. On that trip, I did my AOW and my wife (who, at the time, had no interest whatsoever in diving) did a discovery dive with Mark and her OW with Suzy. That was just under 3 years ago and about 155 dives ago. It really made a great way for us to get started. I'm sure everyone has thier fav places, but for us it is definately Curacao and Bonaire. Good luck with your quest, and if we can be of any help feel free to PM.:cool2:
Tom & Isabelle

Yes.....except for those times when the current is up and something happens that you didn't anticipate, or you are at a more advance site and there are several of those there. Again, she didn't say how new she was....

Donna (aka....one of the Lazybees)
Yes, even in a swimming pool something can happen that you didn't anticipate. Diving is not 100% safe. Neither is bowling, or golf. But if you're going to get off the couch, Bonaire might be the next safest place. :wink:

I agree that she should select dive sites and conditions suitable to her experience. They taught us that in my open water training. There are some good resources available to help her select dive sites.

My son and I also learned to dive in a quarry. Key Largo was our first true dive trip and we felt that the diving was great to ease into. You may find more flexibility in Key Largo vs Key West. I have never been to Bonaire so I can't speak to that location. I'd love to go someday.

Of course, IMHO, Bonaire. I was a "beginner" diver 18 years ago and did my checkout dives here on Bonaire. It was great. The great thing about being a new diver on Bonaire, you can hook up with other more experience divers that enjoy working with you, or helping. The comraderie of divers here on Bonaire is amazing. I live here now, and 18 years later, the diving never gets old.

Topside you will have a great place to explore, and it is an amazing local culture as well.

Liz

I would recommend Key Largo instead of Key West as there are more reefs and shallow wrecks there, ALL good for newbies. I don't know if Key West has as much in that respect - it is more of a topside destination with diving, Key Largo is more of a diving destination. However, December can be iffy with weather in the Keys. My hubby is an instructor and 2 of his students went there in Dec a few years ago, right after OW certification. They loved it (called us long distance to tell us) but they had rough seas almost every day. It wasn't a great first ocean experience for that reason - seasickness, surge, swells...

Bonaire is an awesome destination but might be a bit overwhelming for a truly NEW diver. Best bet would be to stay at an oceanfront resort and do a few boat dives with DMs and shore dive there at the resort most of the time. I wouldn't venture out to some of the southern sites on your own though as those are the ones where current can come up and be an issue for the inexperienced. It is a great place to dive though. On the other hand, weather might be better in Bonaire during that time. If you do choose Bonaire, it might be a good idea to hire a DM to do some shore dives with you or take another class - Advanced OW, Fish ID, or Bouyancy would be excellent...:D

robin:D

Our first dive trip after certification was Key Largo (if you don't count the fact we got certified on Maui!) and it was the perfect trip to "get our feet wet". We're also heading out on our second trip (in 2 years) to Bonaire, and absolutely love the diving freedom there.

You're kind of comparing apples and oranges, especially since the weather and water will be colder in Florida in December than Bonaire, and you don't say what kind of diving you want to do, or if you want any sort of shore activities.

Bonaire is about water sports: diving, snorkeling, windsurfing, and there's no shopping or night life to speak of....very quiet and laid back. The diving is mostly done from the shore, so you drive to a dive site, gear up, and walk in. It requires that you feel comfortable being an independent diver in UW navigation and assessing conditions. Although there is typically little current or poor conditions for entry, it does happen enough for anyone going there to be aware of IMO. There's only one wreck to speak of on Bonaire, the Hilma Hooker, so everything is basically reef diving. Yes, you can do all boat diving on Bonaire....I've read trip reports of people who do just that. Boat dives on Bonaire are guided and the DM may or may not point out critters, and may just lead you around for an hour. Your briefing may be as simple as "follow the DM and limit your dive to an hour".

On the other hand, in the Keys there's a lot to do topside, and if you're looking for night life or shopping, it's hard to beat Key West! All the diving in the Keys is boat diving, and there will be a variety of many big wrecks and reefs to dive. There's also the brand new Vandenberg to dive, which I'm sure is a big draw right now. Because you're boat diving, someone experienced will pick the dive sites based on the conditions that day, pretty much ensuring you'll have good diving. You'll also get a dive briefing about current, navigation, what to look for, as well as the type of profile you should be diving. Most dive ops don't put guides in the water, so you'll want some basic navigation skills, though you can hire a guide if you want.

Dollar for dollar it will probably be a wash since the Keys are easier and cheaper to get to from the US, but island expenses will likely be a wash and dive charters in the Keys are more expensive than Bonaire. If you want to dive, dive, dive then Bonaire is the logical choice. If you want to dive a couple of tanks in the morning and do topside activities in the afternoon/evening, then the Keys would be the best choice.

Just my 2 cents.

Back
Top Bottom