First Dive Trip: Bonaire or Key West?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BettyRubble:

Items to consider.

#1. Key West has diving but the better diving is in the Key Largo area.
#2. Your chance of being blown out in December is greater than 50% in the Keys. It's all boat diving!
#3. Your chance of being blown out in Bonaire is 0%. You will be able to dive.
#4. Your cost of diving is less that $150 for a week if you shore dive in Bonaire.
#5. Your cost will be $75 each trip out in the Key's (give or take a little)

If it were June or July I would recommend the Keys but December - Bonaire.

Last edited:
If you do go to Bonaire, then by all means use a divemaster or go with an experienced diver your first two days. Not only will an experienced diver help you consolidate your basic skills and provide a steady hand nearby in new experiences, but they will also point out some of the critters that might not be so easy to spot at first.

Bonaire, as others have said, offers very easy diving. If you are uncertain about your abilities or willingness to handle the variety of shore dives (for which Bonaire is justifiably famous), stay at a place with a dive op offering boat dives. Two I've gone with are Toucan Dive at the Plaza resort and Bonaire Dive and Adventure at Sand Dollar/Den Leman. The boat dives will probably put a dive leader in the water with you. You can mix and match boat/shore diving to your heart's content.

As for Key West, the general sentiment on ScubaBoard is that the diving there is not as good as elsewhere in the Keys. If you are just really getting started, then maybe Key West is fine. Nevertheless, look into diving at Looe Key (off Big Pine Key). It's really nice (shallow, too). And, as others have said, Key Largo offers the greatest variety. Most of the dives are 25-30 ft reef dives. Good for beginners; lots to see and enjoyable for most everyone.

If you have a boat or rent one Key West can be a great place to dive and hang out, but the local op's stay close and the diving is just ok. One hell of a town though.

Thank you everyone! Valuable info on both options. I will definitely seek out/hire a DM to dive with me regardless of where I end up. When I've made a decision, I'll send out a request for DM recommendations.

jeepguy I Was reading your post about Dutch Springs my husband and I live in Pa and are going to dive there when the water gets warmer any suggestions for a good month for that? Does any one know how i can get information on Bruce Bowker's Carib Inn located in Bonaire?

Don't forget something REALLY important: in December, it's SUMMER in Curacao and Bonaire and erm, not, in the Keys....

I LOVED diving in the Keys (Largo rocks for diving; West for topside experiences, IMHO) but in December it was pretty damn cold... but then I'm a self-professed woos.

Happy planning :eek:)
Suzy

P.S. Hi dushi Jeepguy dude :) xxxxxxxxxxxx

The Dive Bus - HOME

Our first dive trip was to Key Largo and our second was to Bonaire. I think either is fine. For December I would go to Bonaire, the water will be warmer and conditions more reliable.

The Keys is all boat diving, and I'm not sure all boats in the keys would necessarily have a DM in the water.

You don't have to do remote or potentially more difficult shore dive sites in Bonaire if you're not ready. Stay at one of the dive resorts on the water and you can dive right there, it will be easy to get in and out of the water and to navigate. And you can certainly boat dive in Bonaire too, it's not as cheap as shore diving but it's still pretty cheap as boat diving goes, and the boat rides are short and smooth compared to the Keys (in case that's an issue.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom