First dive trip post OW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unless it's to 60 feet, water temp permitting my OW students average 45 min to an hour per dive on checkouts. I have had OW students with 4 hours + of bottom time on their checkout weekend. We are never in a hurry to get out of the water unless someone is getting cold. Those dives in 30 ft or less are when they really see why we spent so much time on buoyancy and trim. It's not about checking off skills. It's about diving. 20 minute checkouts are what I often see at some sites and wonder why? Many times the students are not smiling, not talking about what they saw (because in the rush they didn't see much), and most of the time was spent on a platform.
I try to make it so the checkout dives are actual dives. Skills are done while swimming and looking at stuff. Get in, get done, get out just seems so wrong on so many levels.

As I recall, the most stressful thing when I did my first dives without a guide was navigation. There is no need to spend your entire dive doing a single out and back or a single loop or whatever. Get your compass, go out 5 minutes, find your way back. Do it again in a new direction. The trick will be finding someone who will do it with you, but I highly recommend that you don't just get a buddy to follow around. If you have to, do it the first dive and then ask of you can navigate the next one. It is very empowering to find the boat again on your own (hopefully without surfacing, but we've all done that!).

Last edited:
First thing I wold say is give yourself time. So,

1. Set up your set whilst in the dock before leaving harbour if you can. - Less likely to get seasick, less likely something will fall if the sea is a bit lumpy.
2. Check your set is tied in and secure, if the sea is rough check it regularly.
3. Put all the bits and bobs you need for the dive in a string bag, (I normally place this under the seat or attached to the set. (Mask, Fins, Gloves, Hood, Reel, DSMB) i.e. just what you need, all in the same place (not scattered around the boat). Place weight belts in the weight belt box (if they have one) or under the bench (- if they don't).
4. My computer is normally on my wrist or clipped to the D Ring on the set.
5. Put large bags or crates out of the way of the benches, entry point and exit point.
6. Know when you are diving. Then you can change in good time and be ready.
7. Confirm who you are buddied with - tell them your level of experience, what you want to achieve, your weaknesses or concerns.
8. If they are organised, find out what order they are putting the divers in the water. - I would suggest you are towards the back, less rush fewer bodies in your way.
9. Let the Boat Dive Master know you might want a little help with the kitting up - if you feel this will help you.
10. If you return to the boat early, with a lot of gas, you can always do 'little excursions' to and from the boat as you use up gas - don't push it. If you are with a DM, you could always do a few 'skills' - but make sure this is in the buddy briefing before the dive.

ENJOY THE DIVE - which also means not trying to achieve to much.

11. Once back on the boat, secure your set!
12. If the practice is remove the reg' for a fill DO THIS!
13. Gather all your bits and bobs up, place them in the string bag with your kit. (Best NOT on a bench - someone sitting down with a set on or moving a cylinder might land on your nice new mask!)
Place weight belts in the weight belt box (if they have one) or under the bench (- if they don't).
14. GET OUT OF THE WAY of the entry/exit point, ladders and benches.

Have a chat with your buddy, and the other divers by all means, but not in the way of divers getting out of the water, or the crew trying to fill cylinders.
Also know where the boat dry areas are (and wet areas), don't make yourself unpopular walking into the dry area in your wetsuit!.

Also - if you don't know the practices on the boat, or why, or why not, ask.
Most importantly ENJOY.

Gareth

cool. You're going on a 4 day trip starting on Sunday? Well, It might be a bit bumpy on Sunday as a huge storm has been lashing the Pacific (Check the 50ft surf in Oahu) - I dived Catalina on Monday the 22nd and it was gorgeous. I dive Catalina about 3 or 4 times a week.
Being as how you're very new, you might want to try being conservative with that dive plan. Maybe rule of thirds on your gas? You're probably going to get an AL80 with 3000 psi. The water is 61F right now so you're going to probably get a little chilled after 30 minutes anyway. Are you going without a dive buddy? If so. maybe stay close to the other people if that's OK with you and them. You don't necessarily need to be part of anyone else's dive team - just kind of keep other divers in visual contact - if possible - and sometimes it's not!
I would strongly advise that if you are diving alone, don't stray too far from directly under the boat. Use your navigation skills if you decide to "check out the reef over there" -
Get your weighting sorted before Dive 1.
I know, so stressful to remember all this stuff - don't worry about it.
I am going to be on Sundiver Express on Sunday - if this is your boat (and I misunderstood you 4 day trip quote) PM me and you can dive with me and my buddy - we can make it a 3 person team - each of us has hundreds of dives at Catalina.
Look for the Pacific Seahorses. They've been sighted locally - very rare to get them up here.

20 minute checkout dives in 40F water diving wet and accomplishing all the skills and a short tour can be a necessity. At warmer water at 50-60F, the tour can be a lot longer.
A lot of good advice from the experienced here. Just remember to be logical. Don't exceed the limits you are comfortable with. Stay always with your buddy. Try not to get lost--if you do, search for the buddy for the suggested one minute then without buddy (or with, in case you're both lost), surface at a safe rate & safety stop, without reference to the anchor line. Treat every dive like your first and figure anything can happen. Be smart.

Drink more water than you think you need and if you have a boat/surf/swim coat or a large fleece hoodie, take it and use it on all the SIs. These 2 things will make dives 2,3 ,4 a lot more comfortable.
Also, don't feel like you have to do all 4 dives. That's quite a bit in one day especially in 60F water and even more so if you're diving wet. Trust me, I know exactly how it feels to want to do as many dives as possible this early on in our dive careers. Listen to your body, maybe more so than normal - the excitement and adrenaline can mask fatigue. Also don't feel like you have to get the maximum possible dive time to get your money's worth (same goes for what the others have already said above about being conservative with gas).

Have fun :)

I really appreciate everyones well thought out responses. It's been a long long work week. I am so looking forward to this trip.

With this being your first dives after certification I strongly suggest you do NOT dive alone. Your air consumption isn't going to be dialed in yet plus as mentioned above by the 3rd/4th dive fatigue and thermal issues are a factor.

At this point in your diving, going on a trip with the idea of maximizing your dive time by diving to a very low set PSI seems also the wrong plan. There's a reason people dive the rule of 3rds - it's been tested over time.

If that's your intent, there's plenty to see around the mooring usually - stay in visual contact with the boat. The boat should suggest a minimum pressure they want you back on board with although I've been on boats that don't.

A few of my best fish encounters have been 20' under the boat, barracuda, sharks at one end while I was at the other, curious turtles, once a remora tried to make me it's new home (OK, that one wasn't so fun) Dive Anacapa or the Coronados (San Diego) and sometimes the sea lions will "help" with your safety stop. It's why wrecks attract so much fish life - shelter from predators.

On almost every SoCal boat I know the Divemaster stays on the boat. They're there to count divers, help you on/off and only get wet if someone needs help or rescue. Unless you pay for your own - if you do want to do that, the boat should have options but you'll need to set that up now as it's often others affiliated with the boat but not diving that weekend.

What boat is is it? Someone here may have some insight into their operations.

Last edited:
Rest before the trip and hydrate the night before. don't drink alchool.
bring snacks to eat during your SI.

Back
Top Bottom