First dive vacation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bgrif3fan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
We are completing our PADI certification with our 10 year old son, and are looking to book our first dive vacation for the end of May (as soon as school is out). We have snorkelled and SNUBA'd around the Caribbean and prefer that area for vacationing.
Right now, the two options that are the most appealing to us are Beaches Negril and Beaches Turks and Caicos. Both islands seem to have nice shallow-water dive sites that would be appropriate for novice divers and within the depth restrictions for our son (40 ft).
Also, we like the idea of the all-inclusive vacation with Beaches because we can dive twice a day with equipment provided as well as take in a few of the other watersports activities that the resorts offer. It looks like a family-friendly place that we would all enjoy.
The cost is a little higher than we would like, but everything we need is included.
So, we are looking for advice. Has anyone stayed at either resort?
Would you recommend something else entirely for a first-time diver? (The other location in the running was Grand Cayman, but it looks terribly expensive and we are afraid we won't be able to afford to dive more than a couple of times there.)
Thanks!

Turks & Caicos would have better diving offering of the 2 choices. If you plan to dive at the resorts, get your diving reservations in ASAP. If you can, as soon as you make the reservations. A married couple who are friends of mine went on their Honey Moon at an all- inclusive resort with the plans to dive. The boats were all full & they had to spend extra $ to go with another operation for a couple of dives, instead of 2 dives a day every day. They wer a tad disapointed, to say the least. If you plan to use the resort's rental gear, please check it over thoroughly before diving. I have yet to use rental equipment that didn't have mechanical problems (leaks or breatheability issues) or hygene problems (Yes,... puke, from another diver, in the regulators). That is why I am adamant about having my own equipment to dive with. I am of the camp that believes that gear is your life support underwater, don't take short cuts. I realize that buying equipment for the family may be out of the question, but do check the rental gear over thoroughly, every day. After that, my only suggestions would be to enjoy & have fun!

Personally, I enjoy liveabaords. You basically live for the week on the boat & dive your brains out (3- 5 dives a day). There are many of them in the Bahamas, Turks & Caicos, Caymans & other such areas in & around the Caribbean.

I would check out Bonaire if I were you. You could rent a truck and go see the donkey sanctuary, birding, see Flamingos and iguanas. It's very laid back and not a lot of other water sports, but your 10 year old could try windsurfing as well. You could drive around and choose your dive sites and snorkel if the diving didn't work out for your child. We also look for sea glass and go night snorkeling. There are some all inclusives there as well. There's a red-eye out of Houston that might work for you. Good luck!

I think you should consider Cozumel. It is much cheaper than either of the two you mentioned, probably by half, and easy to get to from anywhere in US.

Look at one of the big all-inclusive resorts, like Hotel Cozumel or Allegro or Fiesta Americana or Occidental:
They all have all-inclusive options, diving and dive instruction, as well as extra-curricular activities.
NONE are as fancy as a Sandals or Beaches resort... they are more rustic and traditional Mexico.

Cozumel Mexico Scuba Diving Vacations Cozumel Scuba Travel Adventures (Island Dreams Dive Travel)

Scuba Diving Vacations in Cozumel - Caradonna Dive Adventures (Caradonna Dive Travel)

Cozumel vacation package special dive package rates with Bay Adventures (Bay Adventures Dive Travel)

robin

Check out San Pedro, Belize.... Easy boat diving, very laid back island with nothing to do but dive...

For your first dives, it can be reassuring to go with a dive guide. Dive guides are probably the norm at most places in the Caribbean except for Bonaire, though I'm sure you can make arrangements to hire a guide on Bonaire if you prefer....

Thanks for all the responses. Cozumel was on the list, but we read that it was mostly drift diving and not ideal for beginners and we reconsidered. Our dive shop recommended Cozumel as well. Looking for a good safe dive op as we believe our junior diver will require his own dive master. He is so excited, they will probably have to keep him on a leash. :)
Also would consider a cruise as we have snorkeled and snuba'd on their excursions and loved it. To be honest, we really don't know where we want to go, we just want to dive.

My kids first post certification dive trip was to Key Largo.
Their second was to Bonaire.
They love liveaboards but my budget simply does not allow for that very often when I am paying for four.

We will be doing Bonaire trip # 6 this July.

A long weekend trip to the Keys makes an easy and simple way to introduce your kids and yourself to diving. The follow that up with a trip to Bonaire with a group is a great way to get started- I was with DD and his childern on that Bonarie trip, great memories for all and his now young ladies are still some of my favorite dive buddies.

I know it does not set well with Coz fans but I don't like to see green divers head to Coz. The diving is fairly easy but it does require the divers to have good buoyancy control and a fair amount of confidence in themselves to do it safely. Few new divers have done 50+ ft free accents and decents on their own. Not saying they should not be capable but I DM for a lot of OW classes and IMO most need some dive time before taking on Coz.

I am a big Cozumel fan but I agree with herman. With all 3 of them new I would go somewhere besides Cozumel for the first trip. The Keys is good for beginners to me. Shallow, very little current. Lots of fish and coral. You are on your own in the Keys. No in water DM. But you could always hire one for a day or 2 till you get more confident. Where ever you decide have fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom