first dolphin extinction due to humans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

getwet2:
With this in mind.....To long to quote!.....register.

Before you get ahead of yourself here, I'm talking about the Government of China, not the industry of China. SUPER BIG MONO differences. :wink: Anyways, off topic so gotta get back on the choo choo train. :D

This is just another example of our destructive nature. Rich is right our turn is coming.

Yes...... but the industry will only do what ever the government allows them to do.

I mentioned this story a couple of months ago about the Baiji (chinese river dolphin) going extinct. However there is a still a chance to save the Vaquita (Gulf of California Harbor Porpoise). Unfortunately there are only about 400 of those animals left. But when you mention taking them into captivity to save them...everyone jumps on you for that idea. It was because of zoos that saved the Pere Davids' Deer from extinction. Also the California Condor was saved also. See this animal on display would do more for wanting to save it in the wild.

Lock Washer

I was lucky enough to actually see the vaquita while i was in la paz..actually saw two and i found it very interesting that they swim alone and just seem to lay there at the surface until they dive...but we talked to some of the local scientists there and they still know very little about them so it would be hard to even get a few in captivity to save them.

ohh and on the note about the river dolphin although i think that the chinese could have done a better job at protecting them...they still have a problem with just pollution in general and i think they are trying to fix the life style of their people since the people live in such a polluted environment but like i said they could have taken preventive steps to save the river dolphins too

Bethjd:
This is just another example of our destructive nature. Rich is right our turn is coming.

There is a theory out there that "we" have been here before and this is our "next" time. Interesting reading.

Nobody ever thought you could successfully display a great white shark, but Monterey Aquarium did it. Same thing for Whale Sharks, but the Orkinawa, Osaka Aquariums, and now the Georgia Aquarium has them on diskplay.

This aquarium in Denmark: http://www.fjord-baelt.dk/ has Harbor Porpoises on display.

The Vaquita can be saved if people can see them live on display.

The Chinese are trying to save their finless porpoise, and they have succesfully breeded it in captivity.

Sea World has been successful with artificial insemination with killer whales, bottlenose dolphins, pacific white sided dolphins. Infact they have been able to create a male bottlenose dolphin specifically from artificial insemination.

Lock Washer

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom