first dolphin extinction due to humans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

very difficult for niche species like that to adapt to rapid change. I would have thought they would have done some captive breeding if they were in that bad shape so recently

Well, what can you expect from a government that violates human rights, supresses religion, unrestricted destruction of natural resource and they do it in the so called "benefit for their people"...yeah, down the drain for sure...

All being said, extinctions happen every day and will continue to do so.....up until it is our turn....then there just wont be anyone around to keep track.

I trust somebody had the foresight to freeze some tissue samples.

There are other cetaceans on the brink of extinction too. The Ganges River Dolphin, and the Vaquita, a type of porpoise that only lives in California.

RoyN:
Well, what can you expect,......................... unrestricted destruction of natural resource and they do it in the so called "benefit for their people"...yeah, down the drain for sure...
With this in mind...................and we've all heard this before but I'll repeat it again anyway.

We can all help by paying attention to the products we buy. Read the labels and if the product comes from China then look for the same or similar product the doesn't. The same product might cost more coming from some where else but you'll know that you are not contributing to the problem.

If this is not possible then ask yourself if you can make do without the product. So much of what we buy today comes from China and most people are oblivious to it because they don't read the label or don't care, they look at the price tag and that's it. Well there's usually a reason it's so cheap people..............it's made in China. Ask yourself how is it possible that a product made half way around the world, and this depends on where you live, is manufactured, shipped and sold for half the price. It's because of very cheap wages and very weak or no environmental policies. Yet we are all guilty at some point of supporting this way of doing business.

I read an article the other day about recycling plastic and a region near where I live ships a large percentage of plastic to China because they can not actually recycle it here. That plastic is then turned into cheap products and shipped back to us so we can then buy it back. Look at all the crap that is in a dollar store, flip it over and see where it comes from.

We all need to think just a little more before we take that product in our hand to the cash register.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom