First DPV - Your recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I still have had a lot of fun on my Sea Doo Seascooter (and no problems) as do many of my buddies. It's nice and light as well as easy to maintain.
Seadoo Seascooter Parts and batteries are easy find so it's really a no brainer for me

I also have an Apollo which is great underwater but to cumbersome (heavy) to drag to my dive site

Rapidiver where do you recomend to get your seascooter parts? I need to get new "O" rings to include those that secure the motor housing. Can you replace the moisture sensors on the seascooters?

Have you ordered the "O" rings for the motor compartment? I am interested if the "O" rings come as a kit. There are small "O" rings between the motor compartment and the battery compartment that cover the screw heads. I want to replace these "O" rings also. Thank you for your help, I will check out the web sites latter.

The equipment should match the task. I have dived Sea-Doo scooters and found them up to the challenge. The Sea-Doo Explorer is available for $640, has at least an hour runtime, has a depth rating of 160 ft, and weighs 32 pounds. As above, parts are readily available.

I have also dived the Apollo AV-2 (=Tusa Evo). I really like the riding saddle. It's available for just over $2K, has a runtime of at least an hour, has a depth rating of 230 ft, but weighs in at 44 pounds.

I have not had the pleasure of riding the highly rated Dive Xtras std X scooter. It costs nearly $4K, has a runtime of 45 min, has a depth rating of 600 ft!!!, and weighs in at 35 pounds.

Personally, I do not have sufficient opportunities to justify purchase of my own DPV. It's nice to see that the spectrum of available DPVs should allow nearly everyone to make a rational choice to fit their own needs and requirements.

Good diving, Craig

Scubada,

I have contacted Sea-Doo Scooters and they are sending out the O-rings that I need. Sea-Doo unlike many US companies that out source customer support to India and Palistan. I got a cool laid back surfer from California that was extremely helpful. We called during busniess hours and I was quickly helped without going to a voice mail process. Vince just answered the phone and said how can I help you? I have also been coresponding with Sea-Doo via e-mails and the responces have been quick and informative. If you like service like I do I highly suggest Sea-Doo.
I give them an A+.

I purchased a used X Scooter Sierra last November. I posted a Want To Buy in one of the scuba related boards, and within a week I found a Sierra with about 20 dives on it for $2,500. Still expensive, but better than $3,800. I've used the scooter in the lakes of Northern Idaho and the ocean around Seattle. It is a great scooter that is manageable in and out of the watter. It is very fun, and was worth the $.

mch

Welcome to scuba board. I am heading to Seattle this summer and my home town is Missoula, MT but my grandparents have a lake cabin on Lake Courd'lane, Idaho. Where do you dive in Idaho? What exposure protection do you wear? Are you using altitude modified tables? Currently I am stuck in the tropics of Okinawa, Japan.

Where do you dive in Idaho? What exposure protection do you wear? Are you using altitude modified tables?

Baracuda,

I live in Coeur d'Alene (Cd'A). There is a pretty good group of advid divers here. There are a lot of lakes in this area, but mostly we dive in Lake Cd'A or Lake Pend Orielle. The lakes are cold at depth in the summer and very cold in the winter. Most of us dive in dry suits. Our deco dives are planned with V-Planner which accounts for the 2400 ft altitude. Seattle is about 5 hours away, and we dive there several times a year.

There are about 7 of us using scooters now. There is a great shore dive in Lake Cd'A that involves scootering 1 mile round trip to 3 wrecks out in the lake. Let me know if you are looking to dive - we will be happy to accommodate (with or without scooters).

mch

Our local dive club: Home Page

I only have experience with the Gavin's and my X scooter, and I would get the X if I did it all over again.

I have used my X scooter for recreational and some serious technical diving and it has never let me down whether I was diving single tank, or doubles with 3 stages in tow. The other thing is if you pay up front for a professional quality scooter, you won't have to kick yourself in butt 2 years down the road when you decide to take up technical diving or just want to expand on your recreational dives and now would have to think about upgrading.

The other major plus to the X scooter is that their service is great! I did something really stupid my last dive trip to the gulf and lost my prop (it was all my fault and I did recover it.). But it was great to be able to call Dive -xtras and talk to the guy that designed the machine the same day. That is service! No, I am not an X scooter rep, just think the product is great and the service is outstanding!

Good luck on the purchase and safe diving,

Joe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom