First DPV - Your recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With these other heavy DPV's what do you guys and gals do if the DPV floods or the battery dies. I have had this happen on my Sea Doo several times and it was not that difficult to tow it back to shore. I could not imagine a much larger DPV being pulled. Do you practice drills incase you get to far from shore, or if you are in a strong current? So far with my DPV I have not used it in conditions that I would not normally dive. If all else fails I can ditch my DPV and could back on another day and recover the DPV. Your thoughts anyone.

With these other heavy DPV's what do you guys and gals do if the DPV floods or the battery dies. I have had this happen on my Sea Doo several times and it was not that difficult to tow it back to shore. I could not imagine a much larger DPV being pulled. Do you practice drills incase you get to far from shore, or if you are in a strong current? So far with my DPV I have not used it in conditions that I would not normally dive. If all else fails I can ditch my DPV and could back on another day and recover the DPV. Your thoughts anyone.

These scenarios are taught in a technical scooter course. Especially cave scooter class where a buddy with scooter comes in awfully handy. Backup scooters are often used and placed in slipstream area.

X

This probably ought to be split off as a separate thread, as it's a good learning point in and of itself. Mods?

As a general rule, tech grade scooters are built a lot more better than Sea-Doo type units, so when properly maintained, the risk of flooding or catastrophic failure is a lot lower...but we all have to plan for contingencies nonetheless. Plan for the worst, and expect things to go better :)

If you plan a dive where you absolutely need the scooter to get in and out safely, you simply take a spare. Usually one per team is enough, but dive plans need to be examined and decisions made case by case. Otherwise, you plan your dives to swim the scooter out if you have to... and swimming a scooter sucks, even when properly clipped off and floating behind you. Riding with your mask tucked in your buddy's crotch is also not a lot of fun, but it works...

You burn test your scooters so you know how much battery you have, and you watch your times properly when using them. Think about it like this: no good diver would even think of diving without obeying the rule of thirds on his gas, and with scooters, it's basically similar for your burn time and battery consumption. Pretty straightforward stuff.

For safety's sake, I dive with a small liftbag bungeed and stored in a pocket. If I need it, it can double as a delayed SMB on a dive if I miss the upline or am covering a large amount of ground with a live boat pickup since there are no bubbles when I dive to find me. If there's a catastrophic flood (highly unlikely), I clip the lift bag to the scooter, inflate to make it as close to neutral as possible, and deal with the bulk as appropriate. You either tow the scooter out, send it to the surface if that's an option, or clip it off to a guideline/railing/whatever, and come back with a bigger lift bag and retrieve it later.

I have the SeaDoo GTI, had it for 2 1/2 years. I do alot of beach diving in So Cal with LOTS O STEPS. The SeaDoos are perfect for this type of 30-60' diving and the SeaLions love em. Kinda depends on what you're doing with them. I don't do tech dives, so reliability is not an issue and I paid like 250 for mine. Anyhow my 2 cents :)

BTW never had a problem with mine

Riding with your mask tucked in your buddy's crotch is also not a lot of fun, but it works...

I don't understand???

It's how you get home when your scooter dies - your buddy tows you.

That's why you plan your dives by thirds for battery capacity, as well as gas.

All the best, James

True. At 18lbs. the Sea-Doo Seascooter GTI and Sea-Doo Seascooter VS Supercharged are nice for shore diving hard to access areas.

Now we're getting practical. I provide the funding for a herd of 4 divers and at about $450, I can afford 4 of these.

We are only doing beach entries and with my grandson along our depth will not exceed 40', more likely 30'.

I am on the far end of 'too --- old' for doing long kick-outs. If I had my druthers, we would just buy a large inflatable (19'?) and dive off of that. It may still turn out that way but, for the moment, I want to think about these scooters.

That they are light weight is a real plus for me.

Richard

....read some of the discussions for a while and want to add I got 2 seadoo Explorers
recently which have given me some awesome times even though my max. depth is only 100ft.. I bought these units online but recall my shop telling me the machines are being manufactured by a new company..? Perhaps I'm lucky, but could mean more reliability. I paid 700 each and happy with 'm.....

That's correct-Body Glove(U.S. Distributer) wasn't happy with quality issues and went with a new manufacturer for the Sea-Doo Explorer . If purchasing check with dealer to make sure it's the new one as I'm sure there are old versions still out there.

Back
Top Bottom