First DPV - Your recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you like your wife at all I would stay away from the Sea Doo Standard or the GTI. Both of those units have not shown to be that dependable and not one of the GTI's I have been around have lasted more than a couple of dives at best. I have no complaints on the others. Just the GTI and Standard which imho are nothing but short lived pool toys.

Gary D.

I would advise to look at the explorer, it looks absoutely nothing like the other seadoos, and is certainly built much better.

Good call. The See Doo is not a toy.

Have fun, forget the board types who want to go on and on about their X or some other overpriced and over rated scooter.

Was there something in your coffee? The folks here have been quite objective about their "rides." I've also seen almost every scooter out there with the exception of the Russian Protei.

I've ridden most em' too, and some stand out better than others. Apart from that determining need is the first thing. As previously mentioned, the extra $$$ could be better used in a high yield CD. That to me makes the most sense! :D

An X-scooter or mini-gavin is comparatively light (about 35 lbs for the X scooter) but the cost is high at $3500-$3700.

The Seadoos do not impress me at all, especially the less expensive models.

The Mako and earlier Tekna scooters offers lots of performance (the Gavins, X-scooters, etc use the same basic motor prop and shroud design) for not a lot of cash. New, a Mako costs about $2400, but used a Mako can run anywhere from $600-$1300. Tekna scooters tend to sell for a bit less and are reported to have a bit more power due to a differences in how the motors are wound.

The Mako and Tekna scooters can also be readily modified and upgraded for more depth (down to about 200'-240', more power (about $300 to rewind the motor) and more reliability (AJ clutch, new relays, etc) although they are quite reliable in their stock configuration.

Weight wise, a Mako is about 50 lbs, so the penalty is about 15 lbs compared to an X-scooter.

Personally, I ended up buying a used Mako in excellent condition with an AJ clutch and modified relays for $800.

I am not sure the 2 is better than 1 argument works for the Seadoo scooters. At least one is likely to quit and the other is guarenteed not to have enough power to tow two divers and a dead scooter any significant distance.

Nice comprehensive info. I've been toying with the idea of a scooter. Only thing thought I would have to get three. Myself and my two sons. Thanks for the info at least I know where to start looking.

Just an update here. I finally decided to get a Seadoo Supercharged as an initial investment. Reason why i did this is because its cheap and lightweight, superb for travel, and rated for 30 metres but tested to 35 metres.

Its only occasionally that I dive over 30 metres, so the Supercharged does fine.

Although seem by most in this forum as a toy, I do find it fun to use. And its key advantage is it being lightweight, at half the weight of its serious DPV cousins. Its a huge advantage if you fly budget airlines which impose serious weight limitations.

For my first DPV experience, I used this scooter for 12 of my 15 dives in Sipadan, and I have no complains. Excellent against current, especially the turbo switch. Despite what has been said, my experience with this Seadoo Supercharged is that it is strong enough to tow another diver. In fact, every time we faced a current, my buddy-wife would just put her hand on my first stage and we will effortlessly zoom away.

We had so much fun with this first experience with the Seadoo that I decided to buy a second for my buddy-wife. So now we have two Seadoo Supercharged DPVs.

I would seriously recommend those why are just joining the ranks as DPV owner to try the Seadoos first. They are cheap and parts are replaceable. And if you come to like DPV diving, then get a more servious DPV next. But if you are a recreational diver like me, you will probably find that the Seadoo will do, even if you do about 100 dives a year like me.

However, if you are a more serious and experienced diver, yes, an X would be nice. In fact, if i ever get tired of using my Seadoo Supercharged, yes, X will be the next replacement.

Thanks for this great discussion on this thread, everyone. Three cheers sharing.

Good for you! Having fun is the important part. Welcome to scootering - you'll never look at being a "pedestrian" the same way again....

All the best, James

I've had the 199.99 SeaDoo for like 4 years, I bought it out of a SkyMall catalog for my pool.

It's rated at 15', but I've had it at the bottom of the diving pool at Georgia Tech (no clue the depth there).

4 years running with no issues. I'm sure (after watching fdog's freakin' sweet video) that the X is the way to go. But I simply do not have the money to buy one.

When I get into scooters (which I will because I like gadgets) I will be buying a SeaDoo also, just maybe one that is rated for at least rec diving limits.

Psychological Analysis of Male Ego Behavior as Related to Scooter Usage
by X
not citations available

I have been watching this thread with amusement. My suggestion is get something that delivers performance via the second hand route. These seadoos & their respective clones are toys, and there is no way to make them perform short of a destructive transformation into a Mako-class scooter. These things don't perform... BTW- I have not seen the most expensive "tech" seadoo. Can't comment on its performance say at 200 Ft, or against a current.

Scooters are kind of like rebreathers. In the early days of the sport many folks were trying to get into bubbleless using the Atlantis SCR, a semi-closed rebreather. Relatively inexpensive, but inefficient with gas usage, plus a pain to swim. In fact, it was less capable than OC doubles. I went the maximum bubbleless route - fully closed circuit. Over a year the local SCR guys I saw slowly discovered that there was little point in using an inexpensive, entry-level, product that didn't deliver. They started to slowly ditch, or bin their units. Ever check ebay? There's always a drager up for sale. One Atlantis SCR guy was even embarrassed underwater. You could tell by body language. I never saw him again on the boat. :( BTW - this boat was called the Seeker*.

* Andrea Doria tech boat during the 90's, early 2000's.

So here's a question - Can a regular diver out swim you and the scooter? As a fair test, you are not allowed to kick and trigger with the seadoo/clone. If the answer is yes - What's the point? I've done these test and very few people can out swim a Mako-class scooter without overexerting themselves. Sure, someone says they'll use them for casual beach dives to save gas. But heck, if saving gas were the main thing why not use a small set of doubles and save 300-500?

While not "peanuts-envy" :D , most guys try to maximize whatever experience they are having. When a male is upstaged, it makes a profound psychological impact that triggers unique male responses. They MALES may :try to ignore it happened, bin the thing, destroy the thing for fun (lots of fun) , or yammer on about the virtues of the less-than unit. The last action is similar to guys defending why they bought a Ford Pinto, or why they still live at home with their mom.

So, if it's a 200-300 dollar toys that can be destroyed and abused by your kids I'd say go for it. However, if its something a little more that you want - I'd say put your hard-earned bucks in a scooter that can actually give you performance via the second hand route. Or co-op and buy a scooter which can be used communally. This male sharing of "tools" is a time-honored way to bond. Please check the Cro-Magnon diaries.

All this being said, I'll be rewinding an older tech scooter ($400.00). I need it to match SS wind specs. I got blown away recently on the Gavin and I didn't like it. My wife says that I am a fool. We all know she's right. I have three other scooters sitting here collecting dust. But I can't help myself - I blame the reptilian part of my brain. :D

X

Just an update here. I finally decided to get a Seadoo Supercharged as an initial investment. Reason why i did this is because its cheap and lightweight, superb for travel, and rated for 30 metres but tested to 35 metres.

Its only occasionally that I dive over 30 metres, so the Supercharged does fine.

Although seem by most in this forum as a toy, I do find it fun to use. And its key advantage is it being lightweight, at half the weight of its serious DPV cousins. Its a huge advantage if you fly budget airlines which impose serious weight limitations.

For my first DPV experience, I used this scooter for 12 of my 15 dives in Sipadan, and I have no complains. Excellent against current, especially the turbo switch. Despite what has been said, my experience with this Seadoo Supercharged is that it is strong enough to tow another diver. In fact, every time we faced a current, my buddy-wife would just put her hand on my first stage and we will effortlessly zoom away.

We had so much fun with this first experience with the Seadoo that I decided to buy a second for my buddy-wife. So now we have two Seadoo Supercharged DPVs.

I would seriously recommend those why are just joining the ranks as DPV owner to try the Seadoos first. They are cheap and parts are replaceable. And if you come to like DPV diving, then get a more servious DPV next. But if you are a recreational diver like me, you will probably find that the Seadoo will do, even if you do about 100 dives a year like me.

However, if you are a more serious and experienced diver, yes, an X would be nice. In fact, if i ever get tired of using my Seadoo Supercharged, yes, X will be the next replacement.

Thanks for this great discussion on this thread, everyone. Three cheers sharing.

Congrats! I can relate to the Sea Doos light weight as an important factor. As a diver who needs to traverse a dune to hit my dive spot, the weight factor is huge-there is just no way I could lug a heavier DPV if I wanted too.
Just a quick tip: I keep the inner nose cone(battery cover) of my Seascooter GTI really well seated and the O-rings (all 3) clean and lubed and I've never had a drop of water in the battery compartment.

Enjoy your new Scooter!

As with all hobbies, especially ones that don't deal with life-support (such as a scooter) there will always be both sides of this argument.

Of course it's always better to start with the absolute best thing that exists.

But for those who have made it to the top, or were lucky (read: rich) enough to start at the top, they soon forget that not everyone can spend 50k on a classic Corvette and then 50k to restore it. Or spend 3600$ to make their AR-15 match grade the day it comes in from the factory. Or spend 2500+ on their first scooter.

The point of a scooter than can be out-swum? It's still air consumption. If you aren't exerting energy, you're saving air. That seems fairly simple and I just got certified. Also, even if you could save money by buying doubles, doubles aren't nearly as fun as bombing around however slowly on a scooter.

The one thing I can't stand in all varying degrees of hobbies I've tried is the "buy the best or get laughed at and ridiculed" nature of the veterans of said hobby. I don't think it's a vicious or mean attitude, it's just that they have tried everything out there and know what works and what doesn't.

But just because you know after so many years of experience doesn't mean the next new scooter buyer can afford to pay for the items your experience has led you to.

Sure, someone could save up for a couple years and get the X scooter instead of the SeaDoo now. But you forgot about one critical male characteristic.

Instant Gratification

SeaDoo now, or Xscooter in 2-3 years?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom