First drysuit has arrived

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DarrynSami

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I went through a months long process. Decided which characteristics were of priority for me. Talked to many divers and scoured SB about others experience with drysuits. I took a drysuit cert class and rented several different models, sizes, and materials of drysuits for salt water rec dives. Tried on several other drysuits I didn't dive. If you are curious as to why I chose the items I did feel free to ask. Bottom line is that yesterday I received a box with my first drysuit. It contained an AL fusion sport drysuit, extra fusion tech skin, and evo 4 boots.

After watching the box during dinner to make sure it didn't get away, I immediately tried on the fusion sport. It was easy to don and doff, fit just like expected. Within an hour or two I had already removed the sport skin, put on the tech skin, added Ellipse dry glove rings with showa 720s, and tried the suit on several more times. My wife says I am a little too enthusiastic. Biggest concern when ordering was whether or not to step up to a larger size boot. Normally a size 11 but I ordered a 12. The evo 4 boots are narrow and long. Slightly long for me but workable since the width is tight with warm socks on under the soft feet. Best of all they fit in my current fins so no need to go over budget on new fins!

Looking forward to getting in the pool with the new gear and trying it out in the next couple weeks. Will be getting into the cold water in March. Any suggestions as to what I should be aware of during this process. What exercises or information could you recommend for the pool session or first couple of dives? Looking forward to sharing my experiences here on SB.

Welcome to the world of drysuit diving!

There are a number of threads on SB about the pros and cons of taking a dry suit course. Being able to get comfortable with the suit in a pool is a good start, but you will need a few real dives to manage buoyancy, particularly for safety stops and the like. We did our orientation dives in a local quarry and this was good from the perspective of not having to worry about currents or boats. And the water was particularly cold which helped to validate the layers we were using.

You're going to get lots of helpful advice in the space. There are also loads of very useful videos on YouTube. Good luck...

Congrats on the new suit. I think if you can dive well in a wet suit, i.e have buoyancy and trim dialed in and are comfortable in the water a dry suit "course" is not necessary.

It took me about 5 dives to get comfortable. There's a couple of things you need to be be aware of, bubble management, how to tilt your body to vent, how to get out of a head down position (roll) but there's lots of info on this here on SB. Of course if you have the time, money and taking a course helps you feel more comfortable or confident, go for it.

Diving dry was one of the best things diving I ever did, yes it's expensive but it allows to me to dive an additional 8 months of the year, I'm getting old, my diving days numbered, a priceless evolution for me. Good luck.

As a side note, as of 2020, they've stopped advertising and selling the Fusion here in Japan, it's not in the catalogue. No idea why. I'm guessing perhaps low sales, locally made dry suits are most common here, or it's about to be replaced with a new model. I did hear a new one was going to be released later this year sometime.

If it makes you feel any better, when I got my first drysuit (A heavily used ex-commercial diver Viking) I filled my parents' bathtub up with cold water, and hopped in.

That was when I learned about leaky drysuits. (Hey, it was $200! Got me through a season anyway)

All the same, a drysuit will change your diving forever. Congratulations.

If it makes you feel any better, when I got my first drysuit (A heavily used ex-commercial diver Viking) I filled my parents' bathtub up with cold water, and hopped in.

That was when I learned about leaky drysuits. (Hey, it was $200! Got me through a season anyway)

All the same, a drysuit will change your diving forever. Congratulations.

And keep you busy trying to track down that elusive leak.

And keep you busy trying to track down that elusive leak.
That is one of the really good things about the Viking... easy to find the leaks, and even easier to patch them. If only they didn't weigh about 40 pounds and have the flexibility of a Michelin tire.

I dive a Santi emotion, custom made, fits like a glove, a pleasure to dive but super fragile, I baby my gear but it gets pin holes if I look at it the wrong way. It's more aquaseal than trilam.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom