First Drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flexibility! make sure you can still put your fins on/off at least, a suit might fit you but you still might not be able to do this. and thigh pockets are very nice also

check overall condition

cheers

edit: and my drysuit has latex seals, i wished i had neoprene as neoprene seems much more durable

Make sure the zipper(s) are in good shape. Seals should be in good condition. Hopefully there won't be any leaks in other places.
Good luck.

What should I look for when purchasing a used dry suit?

Since dry suits are so expensive some maufacturer's have events at deifferent locations around the country.

For example, DUI has DUI DOG (DUI Owner's Group) days. They bring over 100 suits that diver's can try on and use for one or more dives at the event. They have instructors on hand to accompany you on the dives.

There is usually a nominal fee associated with the event. The last DUI DOG days I attended at the end of September cost $8 and that included lunch. If the place where the event is being held charges admission like Dutch Springs, Brownstone Quarry etc. the $8 is in additon to the admission to the diving site which is paid directly to the faciltiy.

This is a good way for you to ask a lot of questions, see how the different suits feel and fit. You can also have the manufacturer measure you. When you leave you have your mesurements if you decide to buy that manufacturer's dry suit.

Remember, the sizing is not transferable from one manufactuer's to another manufacturer's suit since different manufacturers might use different measurement points.

If you have the opportunity to see the suit in person, try it on with the undergarments you intend to wear, and check your mobility. You should be able to squat, and reach over and adjust the exhaust valve, and reach up over your head to touch the back of your neck.

Check the condition of the seals. Latex seals should be soft, flexible, and take a little effort to stretch. Flabby or limp seals are old and likely to tear. You also need to check that the seals on the suit fit you, because if they are too big, they will have to be replaced, and that should be reflected in the price of the suit. Check the zipper to make sure all the teeth are there and in good condition, and that the fabric isn't too badly frayed. (A few strings seem to come pretty quickly, but a lot indicate an old and well-used zipper, and zippers are expensive to replace.)

If the suit has attached boots, make sure they fit with the socks you intend to use. Boots which are too small are miserable. Boots which are a little large can be coped with by extra socks and fin keepers, but huge boots are a hazard, because you may kick them off.

Check the inside of the suit for Aquaseal patches -- they're a tipoff of prior leaks.

Seals aren't a deal breaker if the suit fits otherwise and is in good condition, because you can often get your local LDS to replace them (or at least I can), but a bad zipper would make me walk away, and a suit that doesn't fit makes diving very uncomfortable and difficult.

TS&M pretty much nailed it.

If it does not fit you, you will never be comfortable in it and you will never get good with it.

It needs to be large enough to give you full range of motion without being baggy. Too large means too baggy, too much drag and lots of potential problems controlling the air volume in it.

Boot size needs to be in the ball park as well. Too small and your feet cramp, to large and your feet could come right out of the boots - especially if the legs are also a bit long. It is not always a deal killer as boots can be replaced on the suit, but it is a $200-$250 expense to change them.

Zippers are in the $125-$175 range just for the zipper and another $150-$175 in labor is not out of line to install a new one.

Wrist seals are comparatively cheap to change and pretty easy to do yourself. Neck seals are a lot harder and a lot less forgiving. Sending it out to have the neck seal repalced is probably going to be in the $75-$100 range plus shipping.

In addition to changing zipper, seals, boots, etc, Superior divers will do tailoring on a dry suit, making things longer, shorter, thinner, wider, etc, but the costs add up so if you get a great deal on a less than perfect suit, it may still make sense, but get quotes on the needed alterations in advance to avid paying a near new price for a used suit.

Aquaseal around seams can indicate a seam leak, but if the stitching is intact and the aquaseal repair is smoothly applied, it is not a deal breaker - it may just indicate the suit did not fit the old owner very well (likely the case if the seam leak is in the crotch area - an area easily stressed if the torso is too short (usually meaning the diver's torso was a bit too "round").

Fabric is important. I'll spend money on a good used tri-lam (nylon outer layer, rubber center layer and a nylon or polyester inner layer) but will pay nothing for a bi-lam (shiny latex or polyethelene inner layer and a nylon outer layer. Once the inner sealing layer starts breaking down, the suit leaks like a sieve and there is nothing you can do to salvage it.

Pockets are a fairly easy DIY project. You just need a pocket(s $30 to $80 eache depending on brand and how good the deal is) some Aqualseal and cotal 240 to glue it on ($15-$25) and some duct tape to outlnine the area to be glued to keep things neat and clean looking.

Undergarments are expensive - the dry suit may no longer be a great deal if they are not included and you have to spend $175-$350 on a new set.

Thanks everyone for your help. I ran across a steal on craigslist and im going to check it out soon.

Ive tried this game before and learned the hard way. I honestly feel that getting a custom suit in the first place will make you a happy diver for years. Finding out what specific type of suit to get requires a long winded answer, but by doing a search youll quickly find some good guideline to go by.

Personally ive never been happy with a suit from a rack, and soon regreated buying the bargin deal. Remember a good suit could give you 10 years or more of great use, so take some time, save some cash, and get something you wont end up regretting

Jumbo

On the other hand...unless your weight and condition is real stable are you going to still fit a custom suit 10 years from now?

Back
Top Bottom