First: hi all!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

merlos

New
Reaction score
Hi all...
I'm a newbie of this forum, and I hope that I can find someone that can help me finally.
Past week I went to Sharm el Shake in Egypt, and I made many pictures during my dives.
In some of these I have many blue :-( and I lost the riginal colors of corals and fishes.
I would try to manipulate my picture and I think (but I'm not so sure) that I need a red filter.
I read many articles about pictures manipulation, but all of these are related to Photoshop... but I use Gimp
Did someone had experience with Gimp? How I can use it to have better pictures??
Tks in advance

merlos

PS: my camera is a Nikon Coolpix 4100

Merlos:

Welcome! Most users on this forum use Photoshop Elements or full version (Photoshop CS). A number of members use Jasc Paint Pro. I am not familiar with Gimp. You may want to consider Photoshop Elements 3 which has a street price of about $80 in the US. If you want to upload some examples to your Gallery here at Scubaboard or send me a private message with a sample photo, I will try to point you in the right direction as far as adjustments. As Alex pointed out, we have a lot of members willing to share their ideas.

---Bob

Ohhh, I don't use Windows...
I use Linux and so... I need an help with Gimp (there is also a Windows version of Gimp)

I think that I need to read some Photoshop tutorial, and then try to use Gimp to do the same think, I'm sure that Gimp can do the same of Photoshop...

Tks a lot

merlos

PS: if I do something interesting during this we, I'll post here

Merlos:

I await your post. If I can look at it in Photoshop, I may be able to suggest corrections that correspond to tools in Gimp.

---Bob

I use Gimp as well. Gotta love powerful open-source programs!
I've got Gimp (aka Photoshop), OpenOffice (aka Microsloth Office), Mozilla (for web/email), and a host of others for music, video editing, 3d graphics, etc.

That said, I'm sorry I can help you with any specifics. I haven't done any post-processing of my underwater photos yet so I don't have any advice.
I'm just now getting into that. But my hopes are high - from what I've seen so far, the Gimp does everything you'd need Pshop to do - you just may have to find the command under a different label.

The best advice I can give is to take these questions to the Gimp user forums. Those are all former Pshop users anyways, and will know EXACTLY which direction to point ya for the results you seek.

Welcome to the board.

The best shot are when the corection is done before it reaches a computer. In tropical waters you will need a blue water filter (the red one), this will work so long as you have natural light. If you are using a strobe then you won't need a filter :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom