First live aboard pointers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm surprised no one has mentioned hygiene products, tampons to be specific, if you're travelling as/with a female diver :D
Given the OP's avatar, I don't think he is female.

Given the OP's avatar, I don't think he is female.

I'm on my mobile and I thought that was the system default if anyone doesn't a profile photo... My bad :oops:

Well, guess that might be useful if a girl is using key word search for tips for her first lob? Maybe? :D

I would also add that my Lycra socks cost $5 for a pair.

Where are you getting them please?

• I seem to remember that on the Monday night there was no night dive to give as much time as possible to off-gas because Tuesday morning was the Great Blue Hole. Even if you are diving NITROX, this will be on air because of the depth. After this dive, you can either do a 2nd shallow dive or a tour of a bird sanctuary with Blue Footed Boobies. I opted for the shallow second dive and actually found the reef that forms the atoll surrounding the GBH more interesting & a better dive than the GBH itself. Tuesday afternoon it is back to your "regularly scheduled program"...
Great summary! Some things may have changed with the BAIII regarding the Blue Hole day. I was on it in April, and on our Tuesday, the day before the Blue Hole, we did all 5 dives as usual, 2 on one site in the morning, 3 on one site in the afternoon/evening.
For those of us with the Nitrox package, they told us in the first night orientation that they would fill our tanks with 25% for the Blue Hole, and they did.
We did the Blue Hole, then everyone got on pretty much a tender to go to the Booby Bird Sanctuary, spend some time exploring, and went back. So no one had to choose between the sanctuary and diving. In the afternoon, we did 2 more dives, then the night dive. So we did the 4 dives scheduled that day plus the sanctuary.

...Friday, diving will end after the 2nd dive and the boat will head back to Belize City where you can just chill on the deck or go for a tour. The big thing is that the crew will be busy "turning the boat" for the next group and it is best to stay out of their way. This will be the one time when you will not be their priority...

Definitely agree with that - perhaps to a fault on the Friday before we left the boat Saturday.

On the Friday morning, I'm assuming since several people asked if we could stay at Lighthouse and skip Turneffe on the way back, the captain asked if we would like to start extra early and then go straight back to Belize harbour instead of Turneffe. Everyone agreed, so we were to be on deck ready for 4:45 AM.

Some people that had been on BAIII were using the robes on deck from the beginning, and we followed suit. I had put away my swimsuit cover-up dress that was hanging from the night before so it wouldn't get wet again after the salt had been washed off.

We returned from our first dive at 6 AM to find that all of our robes had been taken from our stowage spots on deck as well as from some of the cabins, and some people were asked for them who were wearing them. We had over 24 hours left on the boat and some of us were not happy. The stewardess said she needed to launder them for the next group. In our opinion, she could have waited until at least the end of the 2nd dive, which was over at 8:20 AM, still about 24 hours until we would be kicked off, and she could have asked nicely. We were all surprised and I had nothing to cover my swimsuit or change into on deck. I don't like walking around in a bikini and they let me wear a deck towel to my cabin to change, and I brought it back, and wore a cover up dress again.

The hot tub seemed closed all day, and the crew were scarce. We had toured the city before we left the previous Saturday. On that liveaboard, it's definitely a good idea to do a day trip or explore on the last day, because there's nothing going on. We did have great chats though with passengers, and the down time was well earned.

Where are you getting them please?
I use these. I find that the white sock flopping about above my booties provides a unique visual experience for the other divers (I wear a shorty...)

Wigwam Coolmax Liner Socks - Unisex | MEC

Note that MEC just recently started to restock the white socks - blue looks all wrong with neoprene.

There are several other providers in the GTA that are a few bucks cheaper than MEC.

I use these. I find that the white sock flopping about above my booties provides a unique visual experience for the other divers (I wear a shorty...)

Wigwam Coolmax Liner Socks - Unisex | MEC

Note that MEC just recently started to restock the white socks - blue looks all wrong with neoprene.

There are several other providers in the GTA that are a few bucks cheaper than MEC.

I'm glad those work for you but they would be an irritant for me.

Rocking the lycra socks here and won't be switching.

I always have at least one extra pair somewhere because on one trip, a lycra sock went missing and one foot became hamburger in short order. So, I ensure to have spares and other divers have been extremely grateful to me a time or 5, even when the ended up with the raggediest of my pairs.

I'm glad those work for you but they would be an irritant for me.

Rocking the lycra socks here and won't be switching.

I always have at least one extra pair somewhere because on one trip, a lycra sock went missing and one foot became hamburger in short order. So, I ensure to have spares and other divers have been extremely grateful to me a time or 5, even when the ended up with the raggediest of my pairs.
Spandex is Lyrca...

Spandex - Wikipedia

Yes bring your iPad you might not be editing on the LOB but you'll want to have a larger screen to review how you photos are turning out, what might look to be in focus on your camera the larger screen might reveal they could be better. Nothing worse than getting home and finding out they are truly out of focus.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom