First New Post function

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Insta-Gator

☀️ Endless Summer 🌤
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is it just me or are others having problems getting the "First New Post" function to work correctly? Example: MoF/NMoF thread - I've been on there several times this morning already but when I leave SB and come back, I'll look under User CP for new subscription posts and it always takes me to the first new post of yesterday, not today. :idk:

Edit: I can't tell for sure if you are talking about "new posts" at the thread level or for the board as a whole (up in the banner at the top). For me it was in individual threads yesterday.

For example, there is a 7' hose thread and the first time I looked at SB yesterday the "new post since last time I was here" was in the middle of page 1. Later in the day the first new posts were on page 2, but every time I clicked "first unread post" it would take me back to that same post in the middle of page 1. I don't remember that being the usual behavior in the past.

It seemed like there might have been others, as well, but I got in the habit of just going to "last page" instead of trying for "first unread post" so I don't remember the exact details.

Edit: I can't tell for sure if you are talking about "new posts" at the thread level or for the board as a whole (up in the banner at the top). For me it was in individual threads yesterday.

For example, there is a 7' hose thread and the first time I looked at SB yesterday the "new post since last time I was here" was in the middle of page 1. Later in the day the first new posts were on page 2, but every time I clicked "first unread post" it would take me back to that same post in the middle of page 1. I don't remember that being the usual behavior in the past.

It seemed like there might have been others, as well, but I got in the habit of just going to "last page" instead of trying for "first unread post" so I don't remember the exact details.

Exactly. The little button (looks like downward chevrons - "Go to first new post") isn't working properly within a thread, not SB itself. I don't like using "last page" because you can miss some stuff if it's an active thread.

I don't like using "last page" because you can miss some stuff if it's an active thread.

Agreed that "last page" is not quite as good. I just went to that after the "new posts since you were last here" thingie seemed to quit working.

Edited to add: By the way, I just went to the "7' hose" thread for the first time today and the "new post" button DID take me to the newest post since I had been here last, on page 2. So maybe it was an anomaly (or, maybe it's only on subsequent visits during the same day?). I'll come back and add a comment if I notice it happening again today.

Last edited:
Agreed. The "new post" function seems to be working again. Have a good day Blue Sparkle.

FWIW, it seems like it takes a while for SB to set the cookie, or do whatever "behind the scenes" geek stuff occurs, to record that you visited a particular thread. If I hop in and out of SB, but leave the browser window open (even if I visit another site) it seems to work OK. If I close the browser window, sometimes SB behaves as if I had not made the earlier visit.

I don't find this a problem - I have learned to live with how it behaves so I get the most out of SB when I visit.

Is this the issue being described?

Dam. Learn something new every day!

Been on SB for @5 yrs now, and I never paid any attention at all to that chevron symbol. Had no idea it did anything. :idk:

I see that is not available in all subscribed threads, but only ones I have not posted in for a couple pages? I can see how that could be a significant time saver in some very active threads.

I would have to guess that this "issue" depends on if you browse on different devices, different computers, different browsers, etc.

This is not something that I am going to investigate at this time, as we're nearing the end of life for our usage of vBulletin version 3.8. If this issue persists in vBulletin 4.1 then I'll look into it.

Edit: I guess Howard posted while I was composing. I agree, if the forum software is about to change, no sense even looking into this.

I'm not 100% sure what the OP meant, but the symbol I was referring to shows up on all threads that have been updated (since I last clicked "New Posts," I believe). I get a list - oftentimes pages long - whenever I click on "New Posts" which is in the banner line just below my user-name at the top of the forum. This line has, from left to right: "Forum Home" "New Features" "New Posts" "Community" etc.

(Note that the same symbol is used for the same purpose in "New Posts, subset "My threads," but the behavior I am referring to happens in "New Posts" general (all threads).

Here is what I mean:
newpost.jpg

Now, I oftentimes don't close out of SB. I just leave it open in a tab while I'm doing other things. Then when I come back to the SB tab, I will click on "New Posts" to "re-set" the chevron symbols.

The behavior I thought the OP was referring to was something that suddenly seemed to work a bit differently, in that I would hit "New Posts," the chevrons would be updated (new threads would move to the top of the list, etc.), and yet if I clicked on the chevron to a thread with many new posts -- one that I had visited already that day -- it seemed like I would continually be taken to the post that was new at the beginning of the day. Even if I went away for awhile and came back and re-did "New Posts", and then clicked the chevron again, I would be taken back to that "original" new post in the thread (which might not even be on the last page of a thread).

^^^ Ugh, sorry, that looks confusing but it's hard to describe succinctly.

At some point, the chevron "works" again; I'm just not sure when exactly. Maybe after I have been away for X hours? After my computer has "slept"? I don't know.

And... it's not a big deal. I can easily live with it (I just start hitting "last page of thread" when it happens and then scroll - instead of using the chevron). I only mentioned it because it seemed like I had noticed it as a new thing, and right about that time the OP posted this thread. I'm quite appreciative of the board, the moderators, and the other contributing members :)

Blue Sparkle

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom