First OW class, lots of gear questions!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, first 2 ocean dives in OW certification class. I'm looking forward to more dives and becoming more relaxed and comfortable :)
Great. It is easier with just two or three to keep together in low visibility and surge instead of a class, no mater how small.

@Aloha Joe did they not have you do a proper weight check or did they just throw lead on you? You probably needed about 14lbs of ballast total with that tank in the water, and it sounds like they forgot to subtract 6lbs from the backplate.
Either way, there should have been a proper weight check done to find out what you actually needed.

Not really a proper check - we did a check, but, since everyone was in the water we couldn't make adjustments.

With a dive float that is a zippered cover over an inner tube, they can store the extra lead in the float. Beach entry with surf and surge as your first ocean dive is also an argument for doing your final pool dive in the full ocean gear, then it is simple math to convert to your ocean weighting. Your total diver weight when neutral in salt water = (64/62.4) * total diver weight when neutral in fresh water. (Edit: at the same depths with empty BC and near empty tank.)

Last edited:
Certified divers!

Today was much better in so many ways. Less surge, less feeling sick, and some actual diving. Everyone felt much more comfortable.

I used steel lp 80s today, started with 12lbs lead (5lb plate) then dove with 10lbs. Lighter weight was trickier because I apparently don't know how to fully empty my wing. There were times when I felt like I was getting pulled up - I thought I needed the extra 2lbs but instructor said the inflator dump requires more vertical pitch (I guess it depends on length and routing of hose too).

I'm curious what the disadvantage to cam band weights is, or any other temporary plate mounted weight. Why carry 6lbs of steel and metal cam bands when you can add a pocket and use weights on the boat?

I just felt like it would be nice to have a lighter bag at the end of the day.

Attachments

• IMG_3018.JPG
    IMG_3018.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Whoo Hoo! Good news on the dive.

Your wing should have a lower dump by your left or right hip. A bit down angle and maybe a slight roll to the side should make dumping air out of that easy.

On cam band weights, think of yourself as a submarine. If you put a ton of ballast at the very top (conning tower) then you are at risk of rolling over. Weight on the cam bands is similar. As, to me, are very negative HP steel tanks. You could put a pocket on the plate under the wing to add weight to, but it would also cut into your wing lift. It is an option though. You can also put weight pockets high on the shoulder straps, which you then fill at the boat. I've done shoulder pockets, but adding lots of stuff to your straps starts making removing and replacing in the water more troublesome, and that can be convenient even outside of drills. A plate to hold much of the weight winds up being convenient. Plus boats or shops may not have lots of 1 lb. weights to spread about your various pockets. But all are things you can experiment with.

@Aloha Joe I think something that will help a lot of us is for you to post exactly what gear you have and are using for this as well as a couple pictures of it just so we have a full idea of what we are working with to try to help you

Cam band weights have a distinct annoyance factor when changing tanks because you either have to remove the weights from the pockets, or you have a really annoying tank swap coming up

My question was aimed using a standard aluminum plate - I was just thinking I could save ~5lbs and have a pocket to drop a 5lb weight from the boat in to come out even. It seems like my plate/adapter, first stage, and the metal/glass SPG are the heaviest pieces of gear.

I think my plan for now is to use my rig, use 10lb rubber weight belt, and add another 4lbs to my rig somewhere for aluminum 80s. I'd rather not have to carry that add'l 4lbs though.

Right now my rig is torn down and drying in the shower but here's some pics I have. One pic shows the back of the plate, but note that I have the wing strapped between the 'tank adapter' rails and the tank. I used weight pockets on the waist strap for two 5lb lead weights today, but will need another 4lbs for diving aluminum 80s.

My rig:
Freedom plate (5lbs steel) w/ 1-piece webbing, stainless hardware
Sub-Gravity Paragon 30 wing w/ stainless buckle cambands
Scubapro MK10/G250/R380/DR w/ metal/glass SPG, miflex hoses
7mm Aqualung wetsuit
5mm boots
Mares Quattro fins

Attachments

• rig 1.JPG
    rig 1.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 70
  • rig 2.JPG
    rig 2.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Aloha, I understand the freedom plate to be very nice. I do not think I would go to an aluminum plate, in a more normal rectangular shape, just to save a few pounds, especially if you are just diving locally. Maybe if traveling by air.

It is incredibly nice :) An aluminum plate is only $80 so I was thinking about playing around with one for a more travel friendly rig.

I did find the OMS backplates to be pretty comfortable - they're quite narrow and fit my back well. But I guess I should be concentrating on getting what I have set up right, first (hoses, weight, etc.)

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom