First OW class, lots of gear questions!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm trying not to think about the Oceanic Accel fins :)

I don't know the dimensions on the Accel fins. But, the Deep6 Eddy fins are really awesome and they are the shortest pair of fins I own. The pair of size Large weighs 4.5#, which also makes them the lightest fins I own.

I have let 3 people try my Deep6 fins now. My former tech instructor, a fellow OW instructor at my shop, and one of the owners of my shop. 2 of the 3 have ordered their own pair now and the 3rd says he is ordering a pair.

I don't know the dimensions on the Accel fins. But, the Deep6 Eddy fins are really awesome and they are the shortest pair of fins I own. The pair of size Large weighs 4.5#, which also makes them the lightest fins I own.

I have let 3 people try my Deep6 fins now. My former tech instructor, a fellow OW instructor at my shop, and one of the owners of my shop. 2 of the 3 have ordered their own pair now and the 3rd says he is ordering a pair.

you're welcome :p

Yeah that's what I was thinking. I feel like an OOA diver would grab a yellow reg, and the yellow on the reg in my necklace certainly isn't doing much for me.

LOL No kidding! I actually have so MANY things to thank you for. The fins are just the latest.

I live to serve

@Aloha Joe you do proper dive briefings with your buddy about how you share air and it's a non issue
If you're getting mugged and are in proper trim, they can't see the yellow regulator if you are horizontal, and if they do grab it, they aren't getting far because it's attached to your neck. More importantly, you shouldn't let them get that close to your neck, so if you see them coming at you with a general panicked look, you pass and slide before they get there, and shove the primary in their mouth while pushing them to the side so you are in control of the situation

I’ve read about some people using separate SPG, compass, and computer at the left hip, left and right wrists, respectively. I’ve been using that configuration and find it’s not ideal for me. It seemed kind of frantic looks NGC in 3 places for my dive info, and my buddy commented on that as well. I put the compass and computer both on right side and it helped, albeit a little cumbersome.

Other than a console, what are othet common configurations? Maybe compass/SPG console and wrist PC?

I never put my SPG on my left hip. I prefer it to be right in my face. I clip it to my left chest D ring. In fact, I added an additional left chest D ring so I could clip my SPG to it and have it separate from my pony bottle, not having to fumble for it.

I dislike consoles so I never went with one. Computer/compass on wrist(s).

Perdix AI on my right wrist gives me everything in one place. When I anticipate more-than-casual compass use, I carry a real compass on the back of my right hand.

I’ve read about some people using separate SPG, compass, and computer at the left hip, left and right wrists, respectively. I’ve been using that configuration and find it’s not ideal for me. It seemed kind of frantic looks NGC in 3 places for my dive info, and my buddy commented on that as well. I put the compass and computer both on right side and it helped, albeit a little cumbersome.

Other than a console, what are othet common configurations? Maybe compass/SPG console and wrist PC?

Perdix AI gives you all of that info in one spot.

That said, you shouldn't be looking at your compass all that regularly unless you are navigating somewhere in which case I advocate for nav-slates

Can you expand on what a nav slate is/does? I did a google search but not sure I understand.

I’m diving with w/ buddy who hasn’t been here before either, so it seems like there’s a need for constant navigating (finding wrecks underwater, or straight line return to boat, etc). This is another topic my buddy won’t stay next to me so Im constantly turned around, and she has control issues yet gets anxious about leading navigation, so I need to watch depth and compass closely. I imagine w/ good buddy, one looks at depth, other navigates and both reference each other. My buddy unfortunately exaggerated experience and training before our trip :( I am SO grateful that my instructor was amazing and I’m realizing how good my training was!!

I don’t want to spend big $$ on a computer until I prove I’ll dive regularly, but Perdix was my solution if I had $900 to burn (I don’t want AI until I get a feel for air consumption patterns). So I’m looking for intermediate solution.

If compass and computer were smaller it would help a lot - opposite sides of the same arm is a wonderfully simple solution I’ll try :) I don’t know if another entry computer but w/compass makes financial sense..

I ended up celebrating my Birthday on Wednesday and not adjusting gear so I admit to only a bungee at left chest, no d-ring. But having SPG there might be nice and I’ll try it next time.

Back
Top Bottom