First Pics Oly 5060

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aaron, go to Splashdowndivers.com and look under photgraphy/settings/C5050 for Macro Mode 4. Set up your camera on a MyMode setting as Peter suggests and start shooting. He has taken the guess work out of it with his vast experience. Shoot subjects within 3 feet (when you use the internal flash), inside 18 inches is even better assurance of getting good shots. Good luck!

Gordon

yeah i use his setup but didn't change the flash setting as i was using white balance (flash has to be off) to control my camera. just wasnt sure if you did something different with your flash. where you using the diffuser in place or not?

Definitely used the diffuser to cut down the backscatter. When the crud gets kicked up on the bottom nothing seems to prevent it but most of the time I didn't get much backscatter. I got MUCH better shots with the flash than without. It seems ot be the only way to get good color. Without the flash you get a lot of blue.

jghflash, wow... like others I'd be happy if my current photos (w/ an external flash) looked as good as your shots!

BTW, what settings are u using to get that beautiful deep blue background? I presume these photos haven't been touched up too much in PS.

P6241542x.jpg

Thanks for the kind words. I looked back at the data on that picture and it was shot at f4.0 and 1/250th of a second in RAW format. All I really did to that one in PS was set the white balance and save it as a JPEG file. The visibility was 80'-100' on most of the dives and most of them had that kind of deep blue background. Almost all of the pics were taken at either f4.0 or f5.6 and between 1/100th and 1/250th of a second. Since I got back I've been doing a lot of reading and have found a lot of things I am going to try on my next trip.....I can't wait.

Gordon

I am not a photographer and I cannot comment on the quality of the photos, but I will tell you that I was thrilled to watch the slideshow, and I want to go diving wherever it was you took them . . . can there be a better tribute to photographs?

Thank you very much! The photo's were taken on the reef's in the Marine Park on the northwest side of Roatan. I heartily recommend the diving there as the reef and fish life is in very good shape. Every dive was special in some way. It was two of the best weeks diving that I can imagine.......well maybe a few more dives and another week would make it better!

LIke the others before, loved your shots. If mine turn out half as good, I might post a couple!

I'm heading for the Philippines (Puerto Galera) in a week with a new Oly 8080 / PT-023 / YS25 set up. Messing around with the camera, I can't get the flash to work on Super Macro - anyone know whether this will be the same with the slave strobe?

Also, regarding white balance, a friend of mine (non-diver) suggested a generic sweat band (not towelling type) as the adjustment tool. Can anyone out there let me know how - or whether it would work.

I'd appreciate it if anyone could give me a few tips on white balance, I've used a Sony before, but as a only point & shoot. After a couple of years experience with that, I've really started to enjoy it & have framed a couple of snaps around the house to good reviews from friends / guests (hope they're not just being nice...)

Thanks in advance,

Larry

Back
Top Bottom