First Real OW Dive - Story and Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Congratulations on becoming a diver!

My thoughts on your thoughts:
If you intend to do more diving - definitely buy your own gear. It is worth it even for ease of kitting up/dekitting as you quickly learn where all the buckles straps fall and it makes it easier. It also helps with task loading for the same reason. You also know the condition of your regs, BCD etc
Wetsuit - well worth paying for a good one (you should be able to get someone to do alterations on your current suit if you decide you want the zippers (they do make life a lot easier).
Good plan on the quarry diving - if you get used to "cold water" diving in low(ish) vis, blue water diving is a relative breeze after that. It sounds like you are quite an aware diver so keep that attitude (I always try to improve something each dive if I can so try to be aware of what I did well or badly).
Task loading gets better with experience so get out and dive.

Questions:
Computer - Always a good idea to dive with either a computer or a "table" plan written down (with contingencies if possible). Computer is by far the easiest way to dive as it is continually logging your dive and can give you a better understanding of what you are doing if you download the log and look at it after the dive. Should something unexpected happen on a dive (following a fish or staying a bit longer to look at something), the computer tracks it and its affect on your profile whereas with a table it is harder (hence adding a contingency to the table plan). You can also choose how conservative/ aggressive you want your computer to be taking into account fitness/cold/hydration etc.

Only trips I have done were ones where all the divers had computers so I can't comment on whether your experience is common but I can only imagine that the DM guide knew he was well within NDL

I'll reply more when I'm on a computer but I wanted to clarify that I did have a computer (Suunto Zoop), just not my wife. I did also review plan mode on it before the dives, however briefly.

Understood. "Diving on your buddy's computer" is still an iffy practice, though way better than no computer at all. If you do so, you need to stay together, so you have the same dive profile and level of effort. Your wife's wanting to swim on ahead sans computer, kind of defeats that idea. You'll both get the hang of it, and likely will both have computers anyway in the future. Most rental places in the states will supply one, i guess maybe not elsewhere?

As newer divers a computer will assist in monitoring your ascent rate to prevent ascending too fast.
Each diver needs a personal computer to correctly determine this factor.

Last edited:
Question: How bad was it to not have a computer on these dives, and is it normal to find people diving without them (and no other way to gauge NDL except the DM computer) or does this mainly just happen on non-dive focused resorts that offer scuba diving "on the side"?
My training path is not that dissimilar from yours. I started diving at Sandals and actually obtained my Scuba Diver cert at one in Jamaica. My next dive outing was at another Jamaica Sandals. My son and I then got OW certified locally before going to a Beaches (Sandals for families) in Turks and Caicos in 2015. We completed AOW last summer and then took our first liveaboard trip on the Caribbean Explorer II from St Kitts to Saba to St Martin in Sept.

What you described is common at Sandals and Beaches. Most of their clientele (as far as I've been able to observe) are vacation divers only and their diving operations reflect that. With one exception, not a single diver on any of those trips had their own equipment or computers. You're required to follow the DM and the dive is turned when the first diver runs low. The DM is basically acting as the group's DC.

The one exception was our trip to the T&C Beaches. There was a father and daughter pair who had their own equipment and their own computers. He was also an instructor. Since they knew what they were doing and had their own DCs, they were allowed to go off and do their own thing separate from the group (as long as they returned within the dive timeframe).

(I also know exactly what you're talking about re: visibility. They had a storm blow through T&C the week before we arrived and they apologized for the "poor" visibility - only 40 feet on some dives! Having trained in a local lake with viz from 2-15', I was nonetheless elated to be diving in such "poor" conditions!)

The liveaboard was a completely different experience. Everyone had their own equipment and their own computers. In fact, having your own computer was a requirement to dive. A DM did go into the water on every dive but it was entirely optional as to whether you followed him and the group or went and did your own thing (again as long as you got back to the boat in time).

My son and I got our own equipment and computers before starting our AOW classes and then doing the liveaboard. It really does make all the difference in the world. Not only are you already familiar with the equipment but it's likely to be better than the rental equipment from the resorts. The resort's equipment was adequate but I wouldn't exactly describe the regulators they supplied as "easy breathing" (although some, maybe even most, of that perception is likely due to my inexperience at the time).

One final note regarding your mention of purchasing a custom-fitted 7mm: While I don't have a cold[er] water exposure suit yet, hours of reading the posts here have convinced me to skip the 7mm and go straight to dry. Considering what I'd guess the cost of a good quality custom-fitted 7mm suit to be, that may be an option you want to consider as well.

Finally, congrats on your marriage! You're very lucky to have a diving partner in your spouse. My wife is just not cut out for diving (and that's OK - I'd rather she be safe and dry than forcing herself to do something she's uncomfortable with). I am fortunate to have an adult son who dives and lives somewhat nearby but it does complicate vacations since I'm always looking at places to dive and that's definitely not her top priority. :)

My thoughts: I'd like to get my own gear, and pay to bring it on future dive trips, so I'm very comfortable and familiar with what I have. I want to bring a safety sausage on any future ocean (or great lake) dives. My custom wetsuit from Aquaflite was totally worth it, since I get cold easily but was completely comfortable, though next time I'll pay the extra charge and get arm and leg zippers. For sure I will on my future 7 mm suit (for quarry dives), I don't want to try and slide into a custom fit 7mm suit without zippers. I want to get a good number of dives in quarries, and hopefully some more instructor training, so I'm more comfortable underwater and less task loaded, so I can enjoy the ocean life more.

I think you'll find that having your own gear improves the experience.

Zippers may matter, or not, depending on the elasticity and cut of the suit and your body shape and flexibility. I wear a two-piece 7mm wetsuit that doesn't have any zippers, and I like it.

Question: My wife didn't have a computer, and neither did a good portion of the other divers. We were far from the NDLs, on relaxed dives. How bad was it to not have a computer on these dives, and is it normal to find people diving without them (and no other way to gauge NDL except the DM computer) or does this mainly just happen on non-dive focused resorts that offer scuba diving "on the side"?

You're supposed to have a means of determining time and depth on every dive.

In reality, if the dive is shallow, you have an SPG, and there's way to exceed NDLs with the planned dives for the day, it may not matter much.

Zoops are cheap, go ahead and get your wife one. With the level of diving your are doing it is all that you really need. And the two of you will be on the same algorithm.

Congratulations as well. I use watch and tables on shallow dives (30') and that + computer on deep dives. There are many threads on the whole "computer vs. tables" thing. Some of your experiences remind me of my early dives. My weighting routine is simple-- I have 3 wetsuits and know what I need for each for salt water (and of course minus 5 pounds the rare time in fresh). My body weight is in a tight range, so no need to change anything or do extra weight checks unless I change equipment (like the new 7 mil wetsuit, when I needed to add 6 pounds). Good luck as you progress.

Thanks all! I wasn't trying to ignore this thread, just never had it pulled up on my computer and I hate typing on my phone/tablet.

On your equipment, you can have a priority list. Mask, fins, snorkel and wet suit come first. For me, I would do computer and regulator next. The BCD last. Also, I don't like the jacket kind. It restricts movement or it feels that way. Remember, anything you get, you will have to drag through the airport. I also have a camera, lenses, strobes, housing, ports and I often feel like a Sherpa.
Check for mask, fins, snorkel, wet suit, and computer, though I'm not a big fan of the current fins. Bought mask/snorkel/fins used from a coworker who gave up scuba (as a midwest diver, he said he needed to **** or get off the pot, and decided to get off the pot). Fins are stiff, which I don't mind so much except the foot pocket really isn't big enough for my size 13 foot. The hard snorkel I want to replace with a folding snorkel I can keep in a pocket. I'm planning on a BP/W myself, after spending numerous hours lurking on SB. Planning to get it from DSS, but I need to get and know the buoyancy of my future 7 mm suit before Tobin will sell me the wing(s) I need. My wife has already said she wants a jacket kind and not a BP/W, because she wants to feel it "hug" her.

Dragging it all through the airport is what I don't look forward too. When we went on a 4 night trip to Cancun a year ago, we each had a carry-on, checked bag, and personal item (backpack/purse). I said never again shall we take so much that we never used, and when we went on our 7 day honeymoon we took one checked bag each and one personal item, no carry-ons. It was a joy going through the airport! The life of a scuba diver, I guess...

Peoria - were your cert dives at Haigh? Has to be, from your description of the green murk. I describe it as swimming in green jello with a sandstorm.

And, yes, get a computer for your wife.

If your wife is going to be your buddy, she has to get past the going on ahead thing. Best is side by side.
No, worse. Chillicothe rec area, just outside Peoria. A very shallow quarry. I don't think it reaches 30' in the deepest area. No diving facilities on site, bring everything including air. There's a few training platforms so rusted they have holes, a school bus the same way, two boats and a small airplane fuselage sunk.

After the first dive, I talked to her and the next two dives she stayed right next to me, side-by-side.

Wetsuit - well worth paying for a good one (you should be able to get someone to do alterations on your current suit if you decide you want the zippers (they do make life a lot easier).
Good plan on the quarry diving - if you get used to "cold water" diving in low(ish) vis, blue water diving is a relative breeze after that. It sounds like you are quite an aware diver so keep that attitude (I always try to improve something each dive if I can so try to be aware of what I did well or badly).
Task loading gets better with experience so get out and div
Hmm, good idea. I bought it custom made from Aquaflite, and while it fits good, I could have the back drawn in slightly. I was thinking of sending it in to have that done, I could just pay them to add the zippers in too. Overall, I'm very happy with the suit.

Understood. "Diving on your buddy's computer" is still an iffy practice, though way better than no computer at all. If you do so, you need to stay together, so you have the same dive profile and level of effort. Your wife's wanting to swim on ahead sans computer, kind of defeats that idea. You'll both get the hang of it, and likely will both have computers anyway in the future. Most rental places in the states will supply one, i guess maybe not elsewhere?
She did stay with me after the first dive, after I talked to her about it. I forgot to mention that in the first post. I planed to rent one for her when we got there but they had no gear to rent, only the basics to supply divers (mask/fins/snorkle/BCD w/ non-computer console). We will get her a computer for diving this coming spring.

As newer divers a computer will assist in monitoring your ascent rate to prevent ascending too fast.
Each diver needs a personal computer to correctly determine this factor.
The DM took her up the first dive, with me nearby, and I held onto her the next two dives so that two of us together could hold the safety stop better than we could separate, as new divers. It did start beeping at me the first dive, as I need practice controlling my ascents, but I immediately knew why it was beeping at me (>40 FPS ascent) and vented my BCD right away to slow down.

One final note regarding your mention of purchasing a custom-fitted 7mm: While I don't have a cold[er] water exposure suit yet, hours of reading the posts here have convinced me to skip the 7mm and go straight to dry. Considering what I'd guess the cost of a good quality custom-fitted 7mm suit to be, that may be an option you want to consider as well.

Finally, congrats on your marriage! You're very lucky to have a diving partner in your spouse. My wife is just not cut out for diving (and that's OK - I'd rather she be safe and dry than forcing herself to do something she's uncomfortable with). I am fortunate to have an adult son who dives and lives somewhat nearby but it does complicate vacations since I'm always looking at places to dive and that's definitely not her top priority. :)
Well, dry would be nice, but custom isn't too bad, and being 6'05" and 155 pounds I imagine any non-custom dry suit would be too baggy leading to fighting with a big bubble all the time. It's why I went custom wet, because no pre-made wet would fit me well! (correct me if I'm wrong)

Aquaflite's prices on custom suits are really good. With shipping, I paid $368 for my 3 mm fullsuit, including a sleeveless jacket (extra $58) I can put on to help keep my core warmer in cooler water. And $100 of that is a custom fit charge, which does not apply to future suit purchases unless you gain or lose weight. That $100 goes to making a paper cut-out of your sizes, which they can store and use for future suits, and I added $30 for a sidestripe, $23 for a relief zipper, and $7 for a keypocket. So really I could have gotten a plain, custom fit 3 mm fullsuit for only $250.

A 7 mm suit, now that I've paid the custom fitting charge, is $207 for the suit. Add in another sleeveless jacket for $51, arm and leg zippers for $30 each (pair), relief zipper for $35, side stripe for $28, and I'm still looking at $381 plus shipping, which is considerably less than a new (custom?) drysuit. Of course a drysuit will last longer, and keep me much warmer on cold dives...

Zippers may matter, or not, depending on the elasticity and cut of the suit and your body shape and flexibility. I wear a two-piece 7mm wetsuit that doesn't have any zippers, and I like it.
The zipper thought came to me as I was trying to get into my wetsuit on the boat. Some of it is because I'm new to it, but I'm really skinny with large feet and just getting my size 13 feet through the tiny ankle holes was somewhat difficult. As the suit is custom fit, it's not tight but it hugs my skin well, especially after peeling the top part off between dives and putting it back on wet.

Zoops are cheap, go ahead and get your wife one. With the level of diving your are doing it is all that you really need. And the two of you will be on the same algorithm.
That's the plan. Plus a Suunto allows uploading her dives without buying a second USB cable.

One thing to try if the sleeves/legs are tight for your hands and feet is the use of a plastic carrier bag on them when pushing through. Really minimises the friction of your body.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom