First Reg Set

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LimitedSlip7

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
New diver here (9 dives) but I'm going on a dive trip here in a few weeks and already have some gear (wetsuits, mask, snorkel, compact camera rig, i300 comp, fins, gloves, boots). I was originally planning on just renting a reg/bcd for my first trip but now I'm thinking about buying a reg set. I figure I will buy it eventually and the ~$40 saved from not having to rent would be like a discount on the new regs.

I want to buy right the first time so I figured I would get some opinions. Future plans are 1-2 dive vacations a year and diving local quarries, maybe some Erie wrecks. One local quarry is pretty cold <40F at depth.

I was thinking the Apeks DST 1st stage, XTX50 2nd, Egress octo, and an Aqualung 2 gauge console. I could probably just go with a 1 gauge console but figured I would eventually upgrade to a nice air integrated comp then put my i300 in the console as a backup.

The local dive shop also has (maybe had at this point) a nice lightly used MK25/S600 for a pretty decent price too... Could probably get a setup for a hundred or two less than the new Apeks. I like the idea of the Apeks sealed 1st stage and possibly better cold water performance...

Wuddya think?

Go with the Apeks, but get a plain analog SPG and ditch the console. They're big and bulky. Do I understand correctly you already have a wrist computer?

Look at the Apeks ATX-40 and DS4. It will save you some coin and still have excellent cold water performance. If you want the adjustment knobs you can buy them from a seller in the UK for cheap.

If you have no interest or ability to service your regs then buy what your LDS will service.

If you are willing to service your in regs then you gave a totally different discussion.

deep 6 or dive rite will be significantly cheaper for indistinguishable performance. needing to mail them out for service is the only downside, but i find LDS's are not very quick on regulator service turnaround anyways.

Go with the Apeks, but get a plain analog SPG and ditch the console. They're big and bulky. Do I understand correctly you already have a wrist computer?

Yes, already have an i300 wrist comp. Figured a console would be a good place to put it when I eventually use it as a backup. Trying to plan my gear so that I have as much flexibility in the future as I can so I don't have to rebuy stuff. To those of you who use a backup computer, where do you put it if you don't put in a console?

Thanks!

deep 6 or dive rite will be significantly cheaper for indistinguishable performance. needing to mail them out for service is the only downside, but i find LDS's are not very quick on regulator service turnaround anyways.

We have an excellent LDS here with good prices and can service just about any reg from what I'm told. I'd prefer to use them for service if I don't end up doing it myself.

Yes, already have an i300 wrist comp. Figured a console would be a good place to put it when I eventually use it as a backup. Trying to plan my gear so that I have as much flexibility in the future as I can so I don't have to rebuy stuff. To those of you who use a backup computer, where do you put it if you don't put in a console?

Thanks!

Hang it off a D-ring on your BC.

Get a wrist compass.

Consoles get in the way and seem to drag on everything. Remember: danglies are BAD! :eek::wink:

We have an excellent LDS here with good prices and can service just about any reg from what I'm told. I'd prefer to use them for service if I don't end up doing it myself.
"just about any reg"?

I would get clarification.To the best of my knowledge, if you are not a dealer then you can not get service kits...

"just about any reg"?

I would get clarification.To the best of my knowledge, if you are not a dealer then you can not get service kits...

I know for sure they are an Apeks dealer

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom