First Reg Set

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now for the next piece of equipment (and another 15 pages of arguing), the BCD! My local shop recommends the Zeagle Stiletto if I'm going to stay rec, BP/W if I plan on going tech. Looks like a decent, well-reviewed BCD.

Tech or rec, there's no reason not to go with a BP&W. Not only is this setup less expensive, but the modular design makes it more versatile. Additionally, if you have to replace any part of it, you'll find it easier than doing so on a BCD. I agree that the Freedom Plate is far superior than adapting a plate designed to dive doubles. I can recommend the wing @Bryan@Vintage Double Hose sells Store | Vintage Double Hose which is on special now. You can see reviews here: Vintage Double Hose

Last edited:
Tech or rec, there's no reason not to go with a BP&W.

Unless you think convenience and stability are reasons...

My ScubaPro Hydros Pro is more convenient and more stable than any BP/W I've tried - including the Freedom Contour back plate that I own. Actually, the Hydros and FC are probably about equal on stability. Neither one moves on me, like a traditional BP can. But, the Hydros definitely wins on convenience (of fitting, donning/doffing, and packing).

For single tank diving, the real benefit of a BP/W is cost. If I didn't get my Hydros at shop employee pricing, I would never have bought one and I would be perfectly happy diving my BP/W rigs forevermore.

Funny enough, since I bought mine, 1 of our shop's DMs and a DM Candidate have both bought Hydros BCs and one of the other instructors tried one this past weekend and he is now buying one, too. The other instructor is also a tech diver with his own assortment of BP/W and integrated BCD rigs. The Hydros is going to replace the Apeks Black Ice BCD he's been using. From what he said, it was the super fast drying time, in addition to the convenience, comfort, and stability, that really sold him on it. Bringing a still-wet BCD home from someplace like Cozumel I guess pushed him over the edge.

With the travel waist belt installed in place of the Hydros QR weight pockets, it is a very streamlined and uncluttered rig. At that point, the only real knock I would give it is having a too-large air cell. But, the bungee setup does keep that pretty well in check. And with that big air cell and the convenient size adjustments, it's a single BCD that is easy to use for warm water and switch right over to diving cold water (e.g. in a drysuit). With my Freedom plate rig, changing it from rash guard sizing to drysuit sizing is a PITA. Adjust the straps. Then adjust every D-ring to be in the right place with the new shoulder/waist strap positions...

Unless you think convenience and stability are reasons...

My ScubaPro Hydros Pro is more convenient and more stable than any BP/W I've tried - including the Freedom Contour back plate that I own. Actually, the Hydros and FC are probably about equal on stability. Neither one moves on me, like a traditional BP can. But, the Hydros definitely wins on convenience (of fitting, donning/doffing, and packing).

For single tank diving, the real benefit of a BP/W is cost. If I didn't get my Hydros at shop employee pricing, I would never have bought one and I would be perfectly happy diving my BP/W rigs forevermore.

Funny enough, since I bought mine, 1 of our shop's DMs and a DM Candidate have both bought Hydros BCs and one of the other instructors tried one this past weekend and he is now buying one, too. The other instructor is also a tech diver with his own assortment of BP/W and integrated BCD rigs. The Hydros is going to replace the Apeks Black Ice BCD he's been using. From what he said, it was the super fast drying time, in addition to the convenience, comfort, and stability, that really sold him on it. Bringing a still-wet BCD home from someplace like Cozumel I guess pushed him over the edge.

With the travel waist belt installed in place of the Hydros QR weight pockets, it is a very streamlined and uncluttered rig. At that point, the only real knock I would give it is having a too-large air cell. But, the bungee setup does keep that pretty well in check. And with that big air cell and the convenient size adjustments, it's a single BCD that is easy to use for warm water and switch right over to diving cold water (e.g. in a drysuit). With my Freedom plate rig, changing it from rash guard sizing to drysuit sizing is a PITA. Adjust the straps. Then adjust every D-ring to be in the right place with the new shoulder/waist strap positions...

I love it when I am right!!

:)

I love it when I am right!!

:)

You were right. It IS awesome. But, I would never pay full price for one. It is totally not worth the MSRP compared to any decent (and reasonably priced) BP/W. Compared to, say, a Halcyon that is about the same price, I would take the Hydros any day of the week and twice on Sunday. :wink: Of course, that is a statement of personal value, so it only applies to me. What it's worth to anyone else is up to them.

With my Freedom plate rig, changing it from rash guard sizing to drysuit sizing is a PITA. Adjust the straps. Then adjust every D-ring to be in the right place with the new shoulder/waist strap positions...

Sounds like time to buy another.:wink:

Bob

Sounds like time to buy another.:wink:

Bob

Ha! I have 3 BPs and something like 5 or 6 wings. My solution is to just not dive single tank except for when I fly somewhere warm and have to rent a tank. When I'm teaching OW in the local quarry, I use the Hydros and it adjusts to whatever I'm wearing that day (dry in the winter, 5/4 wet in the summer) very quickly and easily. :)

But, I'm not sure if the OP is looking for a "buy these 3 rigs" kind of answer.... :wink:

Holy crap, Stu...$880! I don't even want to try one-I might like it.

Holy crap, Stu...$880! I don't even want to try one-I might like it.

No kidding! MSRP is flat out ridiculous! But, if it was $400 - 500, it would be a no-brainer, to me.

I'd definitely prefer to just buy one that can do it all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom