First reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tangaloomaflyer

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I guess this has been asked a million times before but...

I've logge 24 dives now and I'm starting to do a speciality course (deep diving) so I'm thinking about getting my own gear. First I want a reg - where do I start? I want something I won't need to replace in a year or so, but I'm not a millionaire either.

Also, i live in Australia but all the gear seems to be more expensive here. I will probably end up getting it brought over from England when my family come over. Why the mark-up?

Scubapro, Sherwood and Aqualung all have reputations for long term product support. Scubapro and Aqualung regs tend to perform a bit better, while Sherwood, with the exception of the SR1, has a reputation for mostly simple and bullet proof designs.

I haven't looked at the prices in Australia but I wouldn't recommend buying anything in England. We get shafted too. UK manufactured equipment is cheaper in the US. Go figure ????????? !!!!!!!New England, now there's a better suggestion.

Just about any name brand reg will do you OK. Be sure to buy one that is approved for cold water.

How about the new Oceanic EOS with the FDX-10 1st stage? Looks like it's really nice and priced fairly....

I don't know how much we can trust statements like this from manufacturers... BUT assuming it is 100% truth - this is off the Oceanic website...

"When engineering brought the near complete EOS in for conformational testing the results were so astounding, the laboratory stopped testing and performed a complete calibration of all instruments, and in re-testing the EOS was found to have a near effortless inhalation resistive effort on test after test. Perfect."

I'm a fan of Zeagle regs, and I understand they have decent support in Australia, which is what my primary concern would be. No matter how much I love my Zeagle's, if I struggled to get service or parts, I'd look at something else. As for pricing I know Scubatoys.com will ship to Australia, and I know I've seen someone on the board here who handles Zeagle in Aus as well, but I don't know who that would be.

I've been using an Oceanic CDX5 first stage with a GT3 second and a Alpha8 octo for about a year and they have been super.

I've been using an Oceanic CDX5 first stage with a GT3 second and a Alpha8 octo for about a year and they have been super.

I have the same set up minus the octo, I opted for the airxs..... I love it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom