First Regulator Purchase.. HELP!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zynyx

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey everyone!

I'm purchasing my first regulator and I have a few questions. I'll be bringing this regulator with me to Okinawa in a few weeks and I'd like to get one that is ok to use with Nitrox as I'll be going to do my Nitrox certifications while I'm down there. I know not every regulator is ok to use with Nitrox, so I wanted to ask how one can tell if it is or isn't? What is it I should be looking for? Also, can I use the same regulator on a nitrox dive that I use on a normal dive? Are there are special precautions I should take when servicing or cleaning the reg (Other than having it matainenced one a year and rinsing it after a dive).

Finally, can anyone recommend a good starting regulator in the price range of 200$? Do Nitrox regs using cost more than that?

Thanks

Most all new regs can be used with Nitrox but you will need to be Nitrox certified to get fills. $200 will be difficult to find any reg that isnt used.

Yes. Under 40% there isn't a reg I wouldn't use with Nitrox.
Here are some excellent mid price regs.
Apeks XTX 20
AquaLung Titan LX
Zeagle Envoy
Scubapro MK 2
Scubapro MK 11
Sub Gear
Tusa 460
HOG (DIN only)
Edge (Yoke version of HOG)

Leisurepro is also selling the Mares MR 12 Ranger for about $150.

What can you get serviced in Okinawa?

There are some PADI shops here in Kagoshima, but I'm not sure what they service. It would be better to service things here in Kagoshima City since I'll only be visiting Okinawa and I actually live here in the City.

I'll look into those models you listed. I'll also head to the shop today and find out what they service and do not service. Is it usually based off brand names?

The MR12 Ranger is even cheaper 'till March 19th. Only $114. The MR12 and Ranger appear to be last year's model. Many other suppliers list it as discontinued. But where else can you get a major manufacturer, brand new equipment? I've been looking for entry level equipment for a month or so and have seen this for $150-$200 then this new sale price popped up at LP today.

Hope this helps.

Yes. Under 40% there isn't a reg I wouldn't use with Nitrox.
Here are some excellent mid price regs.
Apeks XTX 20
AquaLung Titan LX
Zeagle Envoy
Scubapro MK 2
Scubapro MK 11
Sub Gear
Tusa 460
HOG (DIN only)
Edge (Yoke version of HOG)

Leisurepro is also selling the Mares MR 12 Ranger for about $150.

What can you get serviced in Okinawa?

I would get something that can get serviced by your LDS. I sold all my regs and got HOG D1's. They are priced very well and can be used with nitrox up to 100% out of the box. Parts are sold to the public so if you start servicing your own regs you can get the parts.

Hey everyone!

I'm purchasing my first regulator and I have a few questions. I'll be bringing this regulator with me to Okinawa in a few weeks and I'd like to get one that is ok to use with Nitrox as I'll be going to do my Nitrox certifications while I'm down there. I know not every regulator is ok to use with Nitrox, so I wanted to ask how one can tell if it is or isn't? What is it I should be looking for? Also, can I use the same regulator on a nitrox dive that I use on a normal dive? Are there are special precautions I should take when servicing or cleaning the reg (Other than having it matainenced one a year and rinsing it after a dive).

Finally, can anyone recommend a good starting regulator in the price range of 200$? Do Nitrox regs using cost more than that?

Thanks

Matt, I too live in Japan and would advise against buying here, prices are ridiculous. Jump onto Scubastore.com website, they are based in spain but will ship to Japan, there you can buy Apeks, Scubapro, Aqualung etc at very reasonable prices. Shipping is around 3500yen for a reg set. You may or may not be charged a further 1300yen customs fee, sometimes I get charged sometimes do not. Shipping usually takes around 4 days. For the money you are wanting to spend I would recommend Apeks DS4 ATX/40 primary and ATX Octo, great regs (sold as set) and from Scubatsore.com very cheap. Good luck. Feel free to PM me if you want further info. Good luck.

Last edited:
The only commonly seen regulators that have any sort of nitrox restriction are some titanium regulators, and those are shamefully expensive anyway. There's a lot of confusion about the issue. The short answer is, regulators only need to be modified or specially cleaned if they are used for O2 concentrations higher than 40%. That's technical diving gas. There are two potential issues with higher-than-air O2 concentrations, risk of fire and excess wear on the soft parts of the gear, with the fire risk being the really serious one. Very high concentrations of oxygen under pressure can be dangerous in the presence of flammable products, so equipment for those high concentrations uses special lubricants and o-rings that have a much higher resistance to igniting. This is important in tank valves in which pure O2 is sometimes blended with air to make nitrox. That's the tank owner's problem, not yours. The regulator is only exposed to blended nitrox where the risk of fire is extremely low.

A couple of good quality, reasonably priced regs would be the aqualung titan, scubapro MK11, scubapro MK2. Make sure you get yoke regs if you will be using yoke tanks, DIN if you will be using DIN tanks.

you can't go wrong with an Apeks DS4/ATX 40. or ATX 50. It works. Cold water, hot water, upside-down, it works. You won't outgrow them no matter wich road you take on your diving life.

I have 8 of them and I never regreted it.

you can't go wrong with an Apeks DS4/ATX 40. or ATX 50. It works. Cold water, hot water, upside-down, it works. You won't outgrow them no matter wich road you take on your diving life.

I have 8 of them and I never regreted it.

and at around 280USD for 1st and 2 2nds can't really go wrong.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom