First SLR, a few questions on the E-510

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kwbyron

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello folks! I am looking at an E-510 and I was hoping someone might be able to help with insite and answer some questions for me...:D
1. Now, realizing I might raise some hairs, I don't really understand the implications of the 4:3 system, I know what it is, but does this mean I can't use old lenses, only "digital" lenses?

2. How do the prices of lenses compare to that of other makes? I am not looking at Canon or Nikon because I want image stabilization in the camera body (I have shaky hands and can't afford to pay for it every time I buy a lens)

3. My wife is heading out on deployment soon and may be able to get some lenses in Asia, thoughts or concerns, brands to watch out for?

4. How durable are these cameras? I am a budding Marine Biologist and will be learning to use my new camera on the beach in south Texas...that means sand, humidity, ext. (I won't be changing lenses out in the open, or probably at all, and I'll be carefully, but I want to be able to actually use it).

Your thoughts, comments, experiences, will be greatly apprietiated.... shhhhhhhh my other option seems to be the Sony A-100/200, but with stiff dials and a darker view finder, I didn't like it as much....although since electronic stores can't seem to keep cameras plugged in...i didn't get much play with the E-510....

I don't have a 510, but a 330...yet I've read a lot and can try to answer some of your questions.

1. Read the 'story' pages at Four Thirds. In short as I understand it, they decided on a smaller sensor and an aspect ratio that permits the lenses to be smaller and lighter while focusing light 'perpendicular' to the sensor face. The reduced size supposedly also results in getting better equivalent depth-of-field for the same equivalent zoom ratings and f-stops compared to systems that just followed over from 35mm film, with less distortion out to the frame edges. Disadvantages are that the sensor is smaller so noise floor, color bit depth, etc might be more limited than in full-frame sensor systems. To me, at my level of photography (novice - never shot underwater with other than an old 4MP Canon before), the 4:3 standard lowers the price bar and makes it very attractive for me to try moving up to a dSLR without selling a kidney.

I don't know if some old lenses might still work with adaptor rings - perhaps solely for passing aperture data but certainly not for autofocus. And since non-4:3 lenses aren't "designed" for the 4:3 format, there's probably not just a conversion assumption (the 2x you see quoted a lot in reviews, e.g. a 50mm 4:3 macro lens is equivalent to a 100mm for the old 35mm film standard) but also some potential loss of the usable extremes for zooms and the like. I probably wouldn't try it for other than prime lenses.

2. I think the 4:3 system has a great array of lenses at quite reasonable prices compared to the big 2 (Canon and Nikon). You'll no doubt get all sorts of purists explaining to you that you never recover from not having a full-frame sensor, but reading at dpreview.com there seems to be a general feeling that the Olympus (Zuiko) kit lenses are probably the best kit lenses out there among any manufacturer, for their price. Introduction of the newest 4:3 lenses is also pushing down the price for the older yet still quite good semi-pro lenses (e.g. the 14-54 can be had for on the order of $300 used, which once listed over $600...). As far as shaky hands goes, I've got them too, but didn't wait for IS. The way I look at it underwater photography is all about light, so you have to have strobes anyway. IS might let you bump down an aperture stop or two compared to not having IS, but it won't replace having strobes, and needing to keep your exposure time down to the 1/80th of a second or less anyway to shoot fish that are moving. So I didn't see the cost advantage to going IS. But if I did want it, I'd agree with you: I'd rather get it in the body than the lens.

3. I don't have any insight into overseas pricing. Generally the 4:3 brands are Zuiko (Olympus) and Sigma. Sigma generally seem to be a bit cheaper, but I generally see the Zuiko lenses recommended over the Sigma for quality and performance over the quoted range (less distortion at the wide open end, bigger apertures over the whole range, less chromatic aberration, etc. for 'comparable' zoom ranges). Like I said in #2 above, there's also some product replacements going on that helps drop the price on a lot of the (still very good) Zuiko's like the 14-54 since the 12-60 has been released. If I was buying a new camera today I'd buy perhaps just the single-lens kit with the 14-42, and then search ebay for a 14-54 for a high-quality 'walking around' lens, and try and score one of either the newer (4 - 5.6 aperture) or older (3.5 - 4.5) 40-150mm lenses cheap, under $100, if I really wanted more of a zoom in the near-term. If you're really serious about zooming then skip the kit lens up to maybe the 50-200mm or so, but that'll run you about $550 or more. For underwater you really don't need more zoom than the 14-42 or 14-54 allow, but would add a macro or two and perhaps a wide-angle. I'd love to get the 7-14, but that's getting pretty pricey.

Oh, and before the end of January Olympus is doing rebates on a lot of the lenses too - check Home - Olympus America Inc. for the listing. So I don't know that there's a lot of advantage to be had buying 'local' in Asia.

4. Any camera, any brand, is not going to like salt water, salt humidity, and sand getting into sensitive spots (between the focus ring and the lens body, etc). You're going to want to use a modicum of care regardless of what you choose; it's just the nature of the beast. That said, a lot of the nicer (mid-grade, not kit) 4:3 lenses do seem to be environmentally sealed, which doesn't mean waterproof but does mean if they do get splashed you can rinse them carefully with clean water to de-salt and should hopefully be alright. From my experience so far with the E330 I can say it seems to be a very solidly built little camera - no creaks or whatnot if you grip and try to 'twist' it a little. I've used it out in a drizzly-fog sort of day and haven't noted any ill effects as a result. As the top of the pro-sumer line, I'm sure the 510 is the same. While the cameras themselves aren't environmentally sealed like the new E-3, Oly I think is the first and best at dust removal from the sensor.

I am also an E-330 user, and something that RTRski didn't mention is that the Oly 4/3 lenses come in various quality levels. They are marketed by Olympus as Standard, Pro & Super Pro lenses. All of the Pro & Super Pro Lenses are dust and splash proof, including two lenses that I personally use underwater - the 8mm f3.5 fisheye and the 50mm f2.0 macro (these are both Pro lenses).
A student of mine flooded his housing in a rinse tank and his (50mm) lens got quite wet, but was not damaged due to the splash proofing.
These lenses can be purchased in south-east asia (where I reside) for nearly half the price I could buy in Australia. I have used the lenses extensively and find them super sharp, and with very low distortions.
Check out the 4/3 website for more info, and go to the Four Thirds Story section. You'll be surpised what has gone into the research & development of the 4/3 system cameras and lenses.

If you look on E-Bay, or Google it, you'll find adapter plates to use old Olympus O/M lenses on the new 4/3 system cameras. As RTRski said, you probably won't be able to autofocus or get information readouts on your camera. The O/M lenses are apparently high quality and compared to Nikon stuff they're almost free on E-Bay.
wrotniak.net: OM Zuiko Lenses on Olympus E-1 and E-300 Cameras
Down side of the 4/3 with lenses not designed for it is that the image will be bigger than the sensor, so there's a huge crop factor. I think it's close to 2:1. I think the main thing you want to do is decide your future camera use. Once you commit to a brand and start building a lens collection, it's like the underwater camera thing where you find out the camera and housing were the cheapest part of your rig. The body is almost free compared to the thousands of dollars you'll invest in lenses and accessories. Make sure that they'll transfer to the next body you buy. Also, there seems to be a very limited supply of Oly lenses available used, compared to Nikon and Canon.

Any camera, any brand, is not going to like salt water, salt humidity, and sand getting into sensitive spots (between the focus ring and the lens body, etc). You're going to want to use a modicum of care regardless of what you choose

apparently the E3 willl tolerate it well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom