First solo dive - not without glitches!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would also question any shop that would rent a reg with that much corrosion and crap in it. That is an Omega. A servo assisted second stage. Great breather when working properly. They can be touchy to set up right.

I did not know that solo divers were supposed to be performing valve shut off drills at depth.

I'll check to ensure I can reach my valves at the surface, but I don't know how much I would encourage valve shut off drills at depth while solo.

JahJah, anyone that dives solo should be comfortable turning off and on valves... and every diver should be able to reach their valves.

But you may be correct about the concept of "doing a drill" while solo, particularly after seeing the equipment being used.

As solo diving puts all of the responsibility for safety on the diver... and the diver puts that on his/her equipment, equipment realibility is a bit more important.

That starts with not using rental gear, and includes equipment checks. I think our thread starter is going solo just a bit too soon for their skill set..

Time to invest in your own regulators.

Again, good job handling the incident.

Best wishes.

Thanks. I have my own regs (mk25/A700), but the instructor didn't like my cheapo slimline octopus, so gave me this instead for the duration of the course. Seems to breathe much better than the slimline.

I did not know that solo divers were supposed to be performing valve shut off drills at depth.

I'll check to ensure I can reach my valves at the surface, but I don't know how much I would encourage valve shut off drills at depth while solo.

I'm training for a course and that was part of my dive objectives. I do agree that it poses additional risk.

I think our thread starter is going solo just a bit too soon for their skill set..

Perhaps. But take into consideration that this was a recreational dive, off the shore, in good conditions, on one of the easiest dive sites in the world (hardly any navigation because of the rope between the wrecks) and that I only did the drills at a depth of about 10 MSW.

The failing piece of equipment is a lesson learned and (with the benefit of hindsight) an indicator of growth as a diver, not necessarily skills shortage.

And, as idocsteve points out, you're never really alone solo diving anyway, as long as you have your imaginary buddies next to you.

Your instructor gave you that to use? Must not really like you :shakehead:

I would suggest that one of the first things one should learn is how to do an effective equipment check, which includes knowing the condition of all gear before going into the water. While not required, I would would also suggest that using a regular second stage as your octo would be a far better choice. I use either a TX200 (on my Apex reg) or a 250V on my scubapro as my octo. First because the only one that would be using it is me, and I don't have a clue what the conditions would be at the point I would need to use it.

I just switch second stages from time to time, so they both get used.

Oh, and those imaginary buddies tend to leave at the first sign of trouble.

I hope you will step back a bit and make sure you have all the skills and processes in place before going solo, rather than attempting to learn them while going solo.

Thanks. I have my own regs (mk25/A700), but the instructor didn't like my cheapo slimline octopus, so gave me this instead for the duration of the course. Seems to breathe much better than the slimline.

I'm training for a course and that was part of my dive objectives. I do agree that it poses additional risk.

Perhaps. But take into consideration that this was a recreational dive, off the shore, in good conditions, on one of the easiest dive sites in the world (hardly any navigation because of the rope between the wrecks) and that I only did the drills at a depth of about 10 MSW.

The failing piece of equipment is a lesson learned and (with the benefit of hindsight) an indicator of growth as a diver, not necessarily skills shortage.

And, as idocsteve points out, you're never really alone solo diving anyway, as long as you have your imaginary buddies next to you.

JahJah, anyone that dives solo should be comfortable turning off and on valves... and every diver should be able to reach their valves.

But you may be correct about the concept of "doing a drill" while solo, particularly after seeing the equipment being used.

As solo diving puts all of the responsibility for safety on the diver... and the diver puts that on his/her equipment, equipment realibility is a bit more important.

That starts with not using rental gear, and includes equipment checks. I think our thread starter is going solo just a bit too soon for their skill set..

Have no fear, I understand solo diving and...might have some experience. :) I agree, EVERY diver, solo or not, should be able to reach valves and perform valve shutoffs.

However, I do not see ANY benefit to doing a valve drill at depth, compared to doing one at the surface. It adds risk to a solo diver, without adding much, if any benefit. (perhaps the diver wants to know they can do a valve shutoff while narc'd? Well, then they should pay attention to the END of their gas, and a safe END should result in the diver being able to safely perform skills at depth which they can perform at the surface)

Uhhh, now wait a sec Doc, who said you could post my picture on the internet!!!

So much for HIPPA regulations.... And that's the last time you get to photograph one of our sessions!!!

That was a release form right under the "Intake Form", we use carbons so you only have to sign one.

Underneath that was the deed to your house.

I'll pm you to tell you where you can mail the keys.

However, I do not see ANY benefit to doing a valve drill at depth, compared to doing one at the surface. It adds risk to a solo diver, without adding much, if any benefit.
I guess the only justification for doing a solo valve drill at depth would be to intentionally increase task loading and stress levels.

I perform my valve drills very close to the surface both for risk management and skill practice reasons. The shallow depth is much less unforgiving especially when trying to hover statically. With gloves and a dry suit restricting and a silty bottom this is not always a pretty view. Primarily I measure my success in speed, but, shift in position gives metrics of how good I was under task loading.

Originally Posted by Divor
It was a funny feeling when I finished the first valve drill and made the 'ok' sign and then realised there was nobody to see that sign but me and the fish.

I dunno...being in the habit of communicating with a buddy who isn't there is in the same realm as practicing clearing a mask that isn't flooded or doing an emergency ascent when there's no emergency. It's a good habit even when it isn't necessary.

That sure is one krusty regulator! urgh!

The dive operation concerned should be ashamed of themselves.

On that note...I don't think solo diving with rental gear is a very clever idea at all.

As for conducting solo shut-down drills.... I think it depends on the relative experience of the diver concerned. I often spend safety or deco stops getting some 'repetitions' in to develop / maintain my muscle memory. That said, I've seen novice doubles divers get themselves into a pickle over shut-downs on many occasions....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom