First speargun - Never used one

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sonic04GT

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey guys. I've been considering spearfishing for a while but never bit the bullet. I recently had something for sale and got a trade offer for a Mares Viper Pro 100. I'm pretty excited to get out and give it a try.

First off, those who have this model, anybody had any issues with the line guide on the reel with larger fish? It seems to flex a decent amount when under load. Running the line through that small pin at the rear doesn't seem ideal, and Mares doesn't show them using it in their rigging video either.

Any recommendations for a first timer? It came rigged with the reel line directly to the shooting line via a swivel, which I think I like. I have it loaded as a double wrap. Is that ok starting out or would you start with a single wrap and closer shots? This will be used between Palm Beach and Miami, usually less than 50ft.

I don't freedive. Not yet at least. Do you guys run your catch up to the boat when under SCUBA or do you string it behind you? Float it?

Should I get a tuna clip for the grip?

Thanks for the help!

I don't freedive. Not yet at least. Do you guys run your catch up to the boat when under SCUBA or do you string it behind you? Float it?
For SCUBA hunting, most use a stringer. I like the metal type where the point extends beyond the “latch.” This allows you to begin the stringing operation without opening the stringer, thus preventing other fish from getting off if you drop the stringer for some reason.

The gun you got is set up primarily for free diving. Most SCUBA hunters don’t use a reel on the gun. Many freeshaft, and those that lineshaft use just a wrap or two of mono. The reel is not to extend the shot, it’s to allow the freediver to get to the surface, for air, then retrieve the fish. That’s not necessary on SCUBA.

Work on getting really close to the fish and stoning it by hitting the brain or the chord just behind the brain. Then you won't need the reel. You'll also reduce the chance of Mr Sharky showing wanting to fight you for that fish.

For SCUBA hunting, most use a stringer. I like the metal type where the point extends beyond the “latch.” This allows you to begin the stringing operation without opening the stringer, thus preventing other fish from getting off if you drop the stringer for some reason.

The gun you got is set up primarily for free diving. Most SCUBA hunters don’t use a reel on the gun. Many freeshaft, and those that lineshaft use just a wrap or two of mono. The reel is not to extend the shot, it’s to allow the freediver to get to the surface, for air, then retrieve the fish. That’s not necessary on SCUBA.
Oh interesting. That makes sense. I guess it doesn't hurt to leave it rigged as-is in case I want to spearfish in shallow water eventually and learn to freedive?

Do you run a rope on the stringer or do you keep it close to your body? Is something like this what you're talking about?

61RymF1Q74L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Work on getting really close to the fish and stoning it by hitting the brain or the chord just behind the brain. Then you won't need the reel. You'll also reduce the chance of Mr Sharky showing wanting to fight you for that fish.
Yeah sharks are really my only concern haha No worried about them while diving of course, but I don't typically carry dead fish with me.

Would you recommend starting out with a single wrap to reduce shot length? After you shoot, do you just grab the shooting line to pull the fish in closer? I usually wear gloves when diving.

I am somewhat hesitant to make a post in response to questions about a model of gun we don't sell and which I am not intimately familiar with. So my comments will be somewhat general.

You indicate you are going to use the gun for scuba and have not spearfished before.

In this type of situation, you will benefit from simplicity. That means remove the reel. Add an elastic muzzle bungi which includes an integrated snap swivel. Eliminate the double wrap of line - you should be fine with one. An extra wrap of line is almost always not beneficial for scuba hunting near wrecks or reefs.

If you do not add a means to disconnect the shooting line from the gun, you will have major problems when you shoot through a fish and it spins and tangles itself on the shooting line. The importance of this will be very evident the first time this happens to you. If sharks and/or baracuda are circling around a struggling fish, it is very desirable to be able to quickly dispatch the fish and discontinue the struggling and get things under control.

Also I THINK the way you have the line wrapped is incorrect. The fixed plastic tab forward of the line release is intended to deflect the wrap of line and hold it DOWN away from the bands. It looks to me like you routed the line around that tab.

You don't necessarily need a tuna clip on the butt of the gun, but you may want to at least tie a 2-inch loop of line there; this will provide a potential attachment point for clipping off the unloaded gun on ascent, which might be beneficial if your hands are full.

dive safe
dano

South African Super Stretch Shock Cord

MSSSC-2__42323.1614197623.jpg

@Sonic04GT,

FWIW, maybe (even if you now have the MVP100) get a bitsy gun from MAKO and play with it before 'too much gun' takes the fun out of your diving. I started out cheap and found out that it could be clipped off and forgotten. Maybe someday I'll upgrade if I find someplace to dive with viz greater than an arms length...

Suggestion: Inexpensive, no reel, two bands, can't hit anything 10 feet forward of the trigger unless you freeshaft.

Oh interesting. That makes sense. I guess it doesn't hurt to leave it rigged as-is in case I want to spearfish in shallow water eventually and learn to freedive?
Probably not, though I’ve never used a gun with a reel. My gun is setup to be able to quickly switch between freeshaft and lineshaft. I’d be worried about too much line being an entanglement hazard. I freeshaft the overwhelming majority of the time, and just have the line stowed. If a fish is fairly deep in a hole, or in open water, I can convert to lineshaft in a few seconds.

Do you run a rope on the stringer or do you keep it close to your body? Is something like this what you're talking about?

View attachment 664160
Not exactly, but close. The semi-circle handle on that one looks like it would get in the way when the stringer is closed. Here’s a link to one like I use. For most fish*, I string through the eyes. When fish is next to the latch, I open it and push it the rest of the way through. That brings up another point, you want one you can latch and unlatch with one hand.

*Except Triggerfish. Triggerfish get strung through gill and out mouth. That at least helps to keep them from biting the diver.

Ocean Rhino Custom One Hand SS Stringer 5/16

I have a small section of mono, with a swivel. Terminate both ends with a bolt snap. I usually clip it to a D-ring, at least at the start of the dive. Unclip as necessary and just carry. My speargun also has appropriate sized holes in the handle for a stringer, but I don’t use that often.

Thank you guys for all of the advice. I really appreciate it. I decided to remove the reel and set it aside for a possible future freediving adventure. I'm going to hit the local dive shop tomorrow and see if I can get a muzzle bungee/shock cord, and a stringer. I like the idea of a clip as well just to secure the gun for ascent/descent, freeing my hands up.

The shooting line I have now may come up a little short with a single wrap, so I'm going to order some 400lb mono, which seems pretty common for use around reefs from what I've read.

Thanks again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom