First Stage Ports - what shall I choose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jw2013

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm looking at regulator SETS. I've seen an Apeks set that I like (and will likely get me in trouble off the wife if I buy it!) and I was wondering how many HP ports I should have?

From my understanding, I would use the ports as:
LP: Primary Second Stage, Octopus and BCD.
HP: Tank Pressure Gauge.

The First Stage in the set I'm admiring has 4x LP and 1x HP.

I'm wondering if I should pay more for a First Stage with 2x HP ports?
What else would I need to connect to a HP port? Does a Dry Suit connect to a LP or HP port?

Thank you in advance! :)

The extra HP port can come in handy, if you plan to use a wireless transmitter with an SPG back- up.... If not,... there really is no reason, unless you just want to switch what side you put the SPG (or whatever gauge you choose) on the regulator.

I was wondering how many HP ports I should have? From my understanding, I would use the ports as:
LP: Primary Second Stage, Octopus and BCD.
HP: Tank Pressure Gauge.

The First Stage in the set I'm admiring has 4x LP and 1x HP.

I'm wondering if I should pay more for a First Stage with 2x HP ports? What else would I need to connect to a HP port? Does a Dry Suit connect to a LP or HP port?
First stages generally come with 1-2 HP ports and 4 LP ports (or, 'Medium Pressure', depending on the terminology used by the manufacturer). There are some first stages with 5 LP ports. I have not seen a first stage with more than 2 HP ports, but that does not necessarily mean they don't exist.

Drysuit inflates from a LP port. So, in a traditional configuration, with a drysuit, you would use all four - two second stages, BCD, and drysuit.

Some people use a second HP port for attachment of a pressure transmitter to use with their computer (wireless air integration). Some may argue that only one HP port is needed, and you can dive with the transmitter alone, and lose the HP hose for the SPG. (I am not one of those, but don't care to derail the thread toward that discussion).

Should you pay more? That is up to you. The majority of people never use a second HP port. Most of my first stages have a second HP, but I only use the second HP occasionally, for a transmitter.

Like the rest said, you only need a second HP port if you intend to use both a SPG (I would not dive with it) and an intergrated computer transmitter at the same time. There is another option, HP adapters are available to split the one HP port into 2. If you choose a 1 port model and later decide you need 2, that is always an option.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom