FIRST TECH Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rexman24

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi. I recently completed my RAID DECO 40 course. I have a few questions.

1. What would you do if the instructor did not teach/do/complete all of the skills/tests/requirements documented in the written course materials as requirements?
I realized 1 or 2 had been missed, but did not confront the Instructor about it at the time. As I've read and studied more, I've realized it is more like 3-5 of them.

2. Is it OK to combine what is listed as separate dives in the course marerials into one dive?
Since I paid the instructor it has occurred to me now that this was done to save them money on renting additional tanks and so they could spend less of thier time teaching me. It doesn't seem right to me. It bypasses all the pre-dive preparation, equipment checks, planning, etc. for the second dive.

The instructor signed off on all of these things as being completed in the online course material.

Obviously I can't go back and change anything. I am wondering, if it were you in my fins, what you would do about it now. A shop is listed as where I took the course but I've never been to it or doing believe it actually exists, maybe it's virtual. We met and did some course work and planning at the shop where we got tanks and other times at the shore dive sites. The bookwork was all done online.
Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Hi. I recently completed my RAID DECO 40 course. I have a few questions.

1. What would you do if the instructor did not teach/do/complete all of the skills/tests/requirements documented in the written course materials as requirements?
I realized 1 or 2 had been missed, but did not confront the Instructor about it at the time. As I've read and studied more, I've realized it is more like 3-5 of them.

2. Is it OK to combine what is listed as separate dives in the course marerials into one dive?
Since I paid the instructor it has occurred to me now that this was done to save them money on renting additional tanks and so they could spend less of thier time teaching me. It doesn't seem right to me. It bypasses all the pre-dive preparation, equipment checks, planning, etc. for the second dive.

The instructor signed off on all of these things as being completed in the online course material.

Obviously I can't go back and change anything. I am wondering, if it were you in my fins, what you would do about it now. A shop is listed as where I took the course but I've never been to it or doing believe it actually exists, maybe it's virtual. We met and did some course work and planning at the shop where we got tanks and other times at the shore dive sites. The bookwork was all done online.
Thank you in advance for your assistance!

I would try to understand, in this order:
1 - if there was a standard violation
2 - why the instructor behaved this way
3 - if you learned less than you should have

I don't know RAID's standard unfortunately, so I can't help. If I remember correctly, @RainPilot is a RAID instructor trainer and maybe he can help

Why not ask the instructor? You're asking people that weren't there and don't know what skills you're talking about.
If you asked him for clarification and he can't explain, report him to the agency.

Show the instructor in RAID standards what was missed in your class. Depending on his response submit a QA formal, written complaint to RAID. That is the only way to get rid of substandard instructors.

Send your questions to your instructor first and see how he responses to them. Missing one skill could be a mistake, but missing 3-5 seems intentional. I’m not a RAID instructor but usually combing dives are not allowed unless stated otherwise in the standard.

This is why I think all agencies should publish their standards and procedures. At lease the students have a way to know if they actually get what they paid for.

First step would be to talk to the instructor for an explanation. What were the skills missed? Big ones?
Sounds a little shady
Thanks, unfortunately I would say we are not speaking to each other anymore. I tried to plan some Deco dives with him and did not care for the way he was communicating with me-very negative, accusatory, and making me out to be dumb and incompetent. I am no longer interested in diving or communicating with him. We live in a small community but with a big dive presence. He has worked at a lot of different shops in the last 2 years and more than one of his peers says his ego is over the top. Pretty much everyone who dives a lot here knows everyone else.
Tired diver tow and a swimming/floating test are 2 that wernt done. I need to look at the course materials to remember the others. I will post them when I can.

Thanks, unfortunately I would say we are not speaking to each other anymore. I tried to plan some Deco dives with him and did not care for the way he was communicating with me-very negative, accusatory, and making me out to be dumb and incompetent. I am no longer interested in diving or communicating with him. We live in a small community but with a big dive presence. He has worked at a lot of different shops in the last 2 years and more than one of his peers says his ego is over the top. Pretty much everyone who dives a lot here knows everyone else.
Tired diver tow and a swimming/floating test are 2 that wernt done. I need to look at the course materials to remember the others. I will post them when I can.
I think you answered a lot of your own questions with this post.
Was the course through a dive shop? If so, maybe you can share your experience with them and see if they'll provide another instructor to guide you through the missed skills free of charge.

I think you answered a lot of your own questions with this post.
Was the course through a dive shop? If so, maybe you can share your experience with them and see if they'll provide another instructor to guide you through the missed skills free of charge.
As in my original post, there is a shop listed on my c card, but I've never seen it or been there or heard of it before I started my course or know anyone who has.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom