First time Cenote Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think of referrals a little bit differently. If 8 people with 50 dives or less recommended Bill, and 8 people with 300 dives or more recommended Jim, I would probably lean towards diving with Bill. Even though I might ask the more experienced people some extra questions, my instinct would be to lean towards the guy that pleased the newbies.

Very advanced divers and beginner divers have different requirements. I'm at the point where I don't need hand holding, but I need a guide who *I feel* understands new divers. I don't know that someone with 300 dives would be looking for the same qualities.

On the other hand, I consider any recommendations from TSandM to have more weight than most. Lynne, use your powers for good :crafty:

TS&M may have a basis on which to make an informed recommendation. BUT many of the opinions expressed with respect to an operator are based on a 'one time' visit to the area when someone had a good time. If you are on vacation then your view is through 'rose coloured glasses'. I should hope you had a good time but you are in no postion to recommend the dive shop other than to say you were satisfied.

Seems like someone got up on the wrong side of the bed honestly.

I dont think a recommendation has to be "the best best possible guide anywhere within 100 miles of a cave"

I think it's enough that someone had a good experience and the operator is safe and knowledgeable and cares about cave conservation. You dont need to visit 53 guides over a 20 year period to know that really....

Actually, I was looking for this type of referral myself, I value people opinions, and trust that if enough people speak highly of someone, there is probably a good reason, I am going to email Dennis for my cenote day in Dec, thanks to all for the input!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom