First time Cozumel perspectives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NuttyGambler

Reaction score
OK we are not new to Mexico's East side, having made many trips to Cancun, Playa del Carmen and Majahual/Xcalak areas and places in between.

But, for some reason I'm having trouble figuring out how big Cozumel is and the lay of the land.

LIKE:

One person says it is $6 to go from the Fiesta America to town and another says it is $15 to go from the Presidente to town. Now isn't the Fiesta further away? Also are all the resturants in town? What is between these resorts?

We are considering the following motels. Fiesta America, Plaza Las Glories and Brisas. As seem to find good deals to these. Not really interested in AI places.

Wife does not dive, I want to keep it simple. Where can I

1) find a nice place to stay
2) dive without a taxi ride (leave from the motel with a good dive op).
3) Do a shore check out dive (new equipment not used in salt yet)
4) Have a pool or beach for the wifey to enjoy the day.
5) Have a taxi ride for less then $7 each way, as we like to go out at night.

Can one of the three above or should I stay at the Presidente?

Thanks for your input.

Oh and one more question.

Is it frowned on not having a dive buddy? I mean going to a shop and having to be buddied up?

Is there a good place to exchange trip information and get buddies who are traveling around the same time? Thanks again.

For short answer, see end of message below. otherwise:

Plaza Las Glorias has pool and you can do a shore dive there. Depending on who you're diving with, most likely you can get on boat right there. The ride to some of the reefs would be longer.

Town wouldn't be far. It's a real short taxi ride, or a good walk.

The location should keep the non-diver with plenty of options.

My wife & I have been to Cozumel five times (cruise, La Ceiba, 3 times rented houses) and dove on two trips. This Feb we've got a diving package with Papa Hog's and staying at Villa Blanca, which is farther from town than Las Glorias.

There is a map, "Can-do" or named something like that that is mentioned on this board. A search should find the correct name. I've seen it and it would be a great help to you.

:) The short answer, given your choices Plaza Las Glorias.

Hope this helped,

Joe

Adding one to the list.

Casa Mexicana.

Now I'm not one for AI normally but this one is rather interesting as it is not buffet but resturants. For an additional $434 for the both of us, ($1110 total with the room from a local charter company) we can get their meal plan which is this.

Is this Las Palmeras good?

Meal Plan Includes
Restaurants that are located outside the hotel
Breakfast buffet at the Casa Mexicana on the terrace
Domestic drinks at the lobby bar 12 pm to 8 pm.
Lunch and dinner at the Las Palmeras Restaurant.
A la Carte menu open until 10pm with unlimited domestic drinks.

Las Palmeras Restaurant is located in front of the main ferry terminal, 4 blocks from the hotel.

Viva Mexico for lighter Mexican lunch (also hottest disco in town) open from 10am until 3am. Domestic drinks included at disco. Viva Mexico is located on the main boulevard, 2-1/2 blocks from hotel.

Pepe's Grill steakhouse includes one dinner per guest stay. A la Carte menu features steaks, fish, seafood, Mexican dishes, drinks and a bottle of domestic wine. Lobster not included. Open from 5pm to 10:30pm Pepe's Grill is located on the main boulevard, 2 blocks from the hotel.
Gratuities are not included for meals or drinks at any of the establishments.

Nutty Gambler,

My advice is to stay at the Presidente! By far the best hotel on the island. I've stayed there 3 times in the last two years and LOVE it. Truly paradise on earth. Also, they have a wonderful private beach and pool for your honey, a dive shop (Scuba Du), and the extra few bucks in either the cab fare or the hotel are definately worth it.

Jason

Hi, NG!

The hotel with which I am most familiar these days is the Fiesta Americana (FA). So, here is some of what I know---

The FA has an associated dive shop, the Dive House. It runs mostly big boats with 12 divers per boat. We do not use the Dive House since we dive with folks who live on Island, but it is a decent shop. However, the FA has a dock and most of the shops on the island stop off at the dock and pick up customers. Papa Hog's, an outfit I recommend for those who like small boats, certainly will do that!

The FA has a really nice shore dive right out front and you can even rent tanks from the Dive House--right next to the entry point for the dive. Bring your own lock along and ask for a locker: it is free! If you do not bring a lock, they will sell you one. You can rinse you gear in the tank and store in the locker whatever you do not want to hang up to dry back at your room.

No dive shop that I know of on Coz "requires you to bring a buddy"! They pair folks up as needed. I rarely go on a dive trip w/o my buddy, Ms. Scorpionfish, these days, but when I did, I would usually see if I could find someone with about my experience and skills. That requires making a little predive small talk, but is worth the effort.

The FA has a great pool and a very nice white sand beach area for the non-divers in your gang.

The taxi fare is $6.00 each way into town and I had absolutely no flack from any driver. None, zero, zip!!! What I am going to write now may create some ire: El Presidente(EP) is the most expensive hotel on island and the taxi fares reflect that bit of data!

Oh, yes, one of the reasons we have stayed at the FA these many years is that it is much quieter than the hotels closer to town. My advice has been, over the years, for folks who want "action" to stay closer to town. For all others who do not mind the 10-15 min taxi ride to town, I suggest that FA is an excellent place to stay.

We like to get in some exercise other than diving. So we typically take a taxi to La Ceiba (for the same $6.00) and walk to town from there. I think it is a 3 mile walk. We frequently will do the reverse, too. Gluttons for punishment????

The FA has its own restaurants, including the Reef where one can get a cold buffet breakfast or order a hot meal from the menu. For dinner or lunch (depending on when we dive), we usually go into town--the walk mentioned above or all the way by cab. EL Presidente is not too far from the FA, but between EP and La Cieba there, currently, is not much. And, frankly, between EP and city hall (Palacio Municipal) there is not a whole lot in the way of restaurants that I can recommend--one exception, La Cocay. So, for dinner you hop a cab and go to the restaurant of your choice--$6.00 each way!

Let's see--is there something else??? Well, I guess I usually recommend against AI because it ties you up. This is especially true if you have never been to the place before. Why pay for meals that you do not really like, for example?

We have been going to Coz for so many years it seems like home now. But for a first timer it can be confusing because there are so many hotels, dive shops and other choices to be made. However, there are many, many ways to do Coz and most are satisfactory. I hope what I have written will help sort it all out.

Scorpionfish

Fiesta Americana is further south than El Presidente. FA is a great hotel with a great dive op right across the street. It's called the Dive House. You could do a search here on the board to find out more about FA as well as the Dive House. Last time I was there I stayed at FA and the cost of a taxi (car..not a van) was about $5 or $6 (each way) into San Miguel

It shouldn't be a problem if you don't have a buddy. They will pair you up with someone or you can usually tag along with the DM. I have seen the DMs buddy up with divers when there are an odd number of divers on the boat.

If you want to get a better perspective of the layout of the island, there is a good map of Cozumel on Papa Hog's website that shows the hotels, the city of San Miguel, and the dive sites.

www.papahogs.com/noframes/cozmaps.gif

It seems like when I pull this map up on my computer sometimes it's a little hard to read(may just be my computer), but you can print it out and it comes out clear. Also, then you can tuck it into your logbook and you will have a good map when you get down there.

Here is a map to give you an idea of the layout of the downtown area of San Miguel

http://www.papahogs.com/noframes/smmap.gif

This website also has several good maps of the island and the city.

www.travelnotes.cc/cozumel.html

There are better maps I'm sure...but these are free! :wink:

Hey everyone thanks for the great info I'm sure others will find this informative useful as well.

I think I have narrowed it down to the following two,
Brisas or FA

Eliminated:
Presidente - just cause even though we can afford it at twice the price can't justify it.
Casa Mexicana - No real pool, noisier, and the cab fare from the others is not that bad.

I can get AI at Brisas for the same price at the FA without AI. We would NOT be eating many dinners at the Brisas, but lunch and drinks in the afternoon sun would be nice.

Given we like to be by "the action" would we be better off at the Brisas? The FA sounds GREAT when it comes to the lockers by the dock etc. And given FA is rated a 4+ vs a 3, I'm sure it is nicer as well. Is Brisas as nice for the diver when it comes to storage etc?

Sometimes one can over think these things, maybe a flip of the coin is in order.

NOTE: comparision prices are based on a MN charter company your mileage may vary.

I agree that you may be approaching the threshhold of "over-thinking" this one, but here's some more info, anyway:

For the "action,' Las Brisas wins. Short cab ride & can even walk to town, plus it has it's own in-house entertainments which Fiesta Americana does not.

Only convenient storage at Las Brisas is if you dive with Dive Paradise on-site. They have lockers. Or, go with an op that will secure your gear during the period that you dive with them. If not, you've got a long schlep thru the tunnel back to your room.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

FA has a small safe in the room. Electronic lock. You set the combo.

Yes, Dive house has lockers, but depending on the time of year you go they may be all full. Last October they were.

Have fun!!

TwoBit

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom