First time Cozumel perspectives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Plaza Las Glorias. 5 minute walk to town, supermarket right across the street, pool with the usual poolside bar. Aqua Safari is on-site dive shop. We used one of their fast boats which is basically a six-pack, had seven divers one day, five another, six the rest of the time. pickup is right at the hotel pier at 8:30 every morning, afternoon one tank dives are just $9 dollars more. However, any of the dive ops will pick you up at almost any hotel you stay at. They have a sand beach in front of the ironstone shore with shaded hammocks beach tables and chairs, etc. Also an onsite restaurant, but the walk to town is so easy we went down there every evening. Take your own locks for the dive lockers though.

One last question comparing the LB and FA. (I PROMISE)

Does either have an adults only pool and/or a swim up bar?

Thanks everyone for all your replies so far.

From what I have read the PLG is in need of repair, showing it age? Besides, my prefered charter doesn't handle it.

Hi NG,
My last trip to Coz was in Aug. of '01 (3rd trip-FA all 3 times). At that time,there was a nice swim-up Bar.Can't help re:adult pool,because I was usually out diving.

good Luck,
Mike

scorpionfish once bubbled...

The taxi fare is $6.00 each way into town and I had absolutely no flack from any driver. None, zero, zip!!! What I am going to write now may create some ire: El Presidente(EP) is the most expensive hotel on island and the taxi fares reflect that bit of data!
Pardon me for picking a nit, but I'm pretty sure that some of the fancy schmancy resorts way down south are more expensive than the Presidente.

I'd say given everything you've said about what you want: low cab cost to town, close to action, nice beach, convenient dive op, pool, etc, I would do the all-inclusive plan at Brisas and be done with it. Brisas has a HUGE pool, is close enough to town to walk or just a short, cheap cab ride, it's clean and if you do the all-inclusive, you can do breakfast before the dives, drink all the drinks you want including bottled water, have a snack or lunch, then go to town for dinner and still be ahead on the total cost vs. some of the other hotels. Brisas was bought last year and the new owners have done extensive re-modeling of the rooms and added a "beach club" that has another little pool, snack bar and the beach. Also, Brisas has an on-site dive op, Dive Paradise, or almost every dive op on the island picks up at the Brisas dock. I'm staying at Brisas in June and probably diving with Papa Hogs. I've heard Fiesta Americana is a nice place, too but it's SO far from town and nothing going on out there at all...it all depends on what you're looking for. Good luck in making your decision!

Angie

I know your original postings were a year ago, and your probably planning another trip to Cozumel by now. But here is my two cents to go along with the other person who commented on PLG.

Plaza Los Glorias isn't a bad place for the $$$. The one complaint I have - the bed's are from the Flintstone era. They are as hard as they come. You get a hard mattress on a cement foundation.

On the positive side -
The food isn't bad at all. The drinks at the swim up bar are pretty good and reasonably cheap. One thought though about swim up bars.... you don't ever see anyone getting out of the pool to go to the restroom. Makes you say Hmmmmm.....

The dive sites in front of PLG are not bad either. If you wanna burn some time underwater just crusing around, but there isn't that much to see really.... compared to the "real" dive sites that this playground has to offer.

The nice thing about PLG is the walk to town. It's about 10 minutes, pretty easy to do after a couple hours at Carlos 'n Charlies and Senior Frogs!

Please let me know what you decided and how you liked it. I am open for a new hotel, just hard to leave PLG. I like the fact that the dive shop helps you with all of your gear, and the dock is pool side. I can't imagine having to take a car or van to a dock then leave from there... for God's sake - Cozumel is an island, stay at a place near\On the water, with a Dock.... isn't that why your going?

Also PLG is good for non-Divers. The pool is great, the bar is good, the Deep fried Peppers are great with a Sol beer. There is a Sushi place (atleast last time I was there) accross from the hotel too, although not sure I'd go there! There are a couple other shops in the same center, and the major grocery store is there as well, that's nice (Sol Beer is cheap there).

Anyway - let us know where you stayed. I am going to PLG in June and I'll post a note then as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom